The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jawjackers  (Read 29830 times)

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jawjackers
« Reply #120 on: Dec 21, 2020, 10:58 PM »
Well, I like the thrill of fighting a fish on an ultralight rod with light line.................i nstead of yanking it up through the hole hand over hand on 25 lb test!  ;) ::)

Ding! Johnny tell em what they win!....

honestly still trying to get my first fish on an ol'school bever dam tip up. hell having to hand over hand a fish might be funner than I imagine, But hearing the drag set low click madly away as the pole dances with a nice trout firmly pegged is a rush and, I think, a great way to let a kid catch fish too. is there a special moment feeling the line tension change as the bite happens, sure thats a great rush too, takes more skill and experience to get "the feel" especially if you are just fishing blind no sonar. ..... run fish on , get it..... wooohaaa...
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Dec 22, 2020, 04:24 PM »
Well, I like the thrill of fighting a fish on an ultralight rod with light line.................i nstead of yanking it up through the hole hand over hand on 25 lb test!  ;) ::)

Your right you would never be able to catch the size fish I catch on an ultralight

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:56 AM »
i know i'm preaching to the choir, but I still see no difference between a JJ and a downrigger on a boat. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:59 AM »
Your right you would never be able to catch the size fish I catch on an ultralight

Wanna bet?!  ;) ;D

Where's the FISH?!

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #124 on: Dec 23, 2020, 01:18 PM »
ive caught 36inch northern pike on 2 lb line . got lucky but i did catch the pike

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Dec 23, 2020, 02:10 PM »

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Dec 23, 2020, 03:53 PM »
You look like a giant smurf....  ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Dec 23, 2020, 05:44 PM »

Bait
 ;D

That picture is deceiving............. I’m 6’10”!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Dec 23, 2020, 05:46 PM »
You look like a giant smurf....  ;D

That’s so I don’t get run over by a snowmobile on The Pack! 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Dec 24, 2020, 06:23 AM »
More likely to get hit by a passing plane...

Offline Ranger12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Dec 27, 2020, 08:23 AM »
I won a JJ on a not to be mentioned site a few years ago and have been checked a few times when i was using it an it was never even brought up by the warden that actually came out on the ice  ;D. My goal this year is to hook and land a Musky at Leaser on it, hopefully i get the chance this year.
Formerly known as Ranger22

Offline Boogerhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Dec 27, 2020, 08:30 AM »
See guys using them all the time..I personally don’t , my luck I would get hit in the face setting the rod.

Offline walikilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Dec 27, 2020, 08:41 AM »
That’s how you get a BOOGER on your HOOK!!!😜

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Dec 27, 2020, 08:50 AM »
See guys using them all the time..I personally don’t , my luck I would get hit in the face setting the rod.

Been there, done that!  ::)

You learn pretty quick to set them from off to the side!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Dec 27, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Rumor has it somebody got fined $600...................$150 for each.   ::)

Don’t know where or when, but hope he fights it!  >:(
Where's the FISH?!

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Dec 28, 2020, 06:05 AM »
I'd love to know more details about this...

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Dec 28, 2020, 06:48 AM »
I would too! My buddy said he saw it posted on a FB page somewhere and can't find it now.  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Dec 28, 2020, 12:47 PM »
The FB post was done recently and in part is as follows ...

"Mechanical and/or electronic devices that manipulate the fishing rod
such as the "Jaw Jacker" are prohibited from use pursuant to Pennsylvania
fishing regulations."

It states that the Pa fishing regs handbook is only a summary (we all know this) but
the official text is found in Title 58 Pa. Code.

Now, I have been reading Title 58, Chapter 63 of the Pa Code and I can not find the specific text that was displayed above (in bold) about Jaw jackers. I don’t use them , don’t plan on using them and couldn’t care less about those that do but unless somebody can show us a link to the text listed above about JJ's this is still a unsolved subject in my mind.

Go to http://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/

On the upper right side see the drop down
list marked CODE

Scroll to #58

Click on #58 "Recreation"

That takes you to TITLE 58 list.

Scroll down to # 63 "General Fishing Regs"

Click on that.

Now have fun reading and researching
all the possible places that might mention
the JJ's.

Good Luck. Let me know if you find anything
that could somehow be referring to JJ's

I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline Catchabigone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:23 AM »
I emailed the PA Fish and Boat Commission this is there response...

Unfortunately, “Jaw Jackers” may NOT be lawfully used in Pennsylvania waters.  This electronic mechanical device manipulates the ice fishing rod and physically sets the hook on the independently held rod.  Current regulatory language contained within the Pennsylvania Fishing Regulations pursuant to ice fishing precludes the use of any mechanical and/or electrical fishing device that independently manipulates the fishing rod .

SERGEANT ANTHONY BEERS

Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission

Northwest Region Bureau of Law Enforcement

Cell: 570-406-4046

Office: 814-337-0444
Dear Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch, the courage not to lie about it and the wisdom to know that none of my fishing buddies would believe me anyway… Amen.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:11 AM »
I downloaded the both Chapters "63  General Fishing Regulations"and "64 Special Fishing Regulations"and did a text search and nothing comes up remotely resembling the language above.  The closest thing I could find is the interpretation of fishing rods being "under the immediate control" of the person fishing in 63.6.

Rods, lines and hooks shall be under the immediate
control of the person using them. A fishing device shall be deemed to be under
the immediate control of the person using it if, when the terminal device (hook,
bait or lure) is taken by a fish, the person using the device has direct control over
it and it is not connected at that point to a casting or depth placement aid such as
a casting boat or downrigger.

If this same interpretation was applied to "immediate control" in ice fishing, you could find this concept in 63.10 (c).

(c) Rods, lines and tip-ups used in ice fishing shall be under the immediate
control of the person using the same.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:19 AM »
As stated above by SERGEANT ANTHONY BEERS ...

"Current regulatory language contained within the Pennsylvania Fishing Regulations pursuant to ice fishing precludes the use of any mechanical and/or electrical fishing device that independently manipulates the fishing rod ."

Darn it! I still can not find any wording in the Pa Code that even slightly resembles that statement.

I don't think a tip-up sitting out on the ice is any different than a JJ sitting out on the ice.

Perhaps the Sgt. could point out where that can be found in the Pa Code book.

Perhaps I will call and try to reach Sgt. Beers...

I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #141 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:24 AM »
As stated above by SERGEANT ANTHONY BEERS ...

"Current regulatory language contained within the Pennsylvania Fishing Regulations pursuant to ice fishing precludes the use of any mechanical and/or electrical fishing device that independently manipulates the fishing rod ."

Darn it! I still can not find any wording in the Pa Code that even slightly resembles that statement.

I don't think a tip-up sitting out on the ice is any different than a JJ sitting out on the ice.

Perhaps the Sgt. could point out where that can be found in the Pa Code book.

Perhaps I will call and try to reach Sgt. Beers...

Me neither maybe a follow up Email is needed to get the exact section and verse ...and what code the angler would be cited for if using any mechanical and/or electrical fishing device that independently manipulates the fishing rod. He seemed to quote a specific section ..be darned if I can find it.. :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:29 AM »
I'm not a fan of JJ , but if you are and are fined for it I think you would win in court because its not written in the code, at least from what I can find.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #143 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:46 AM »
I would humbly offer this slightly alternative approach to getting the rule changed.  Reach out to the commission and mention that since the Jaw Jacker isn't legal, then following the same rules and definitions, you would like the PFBC to ban all trolling since the mechanical engine is what is setting the hook. 

Once faced with that, they may see things the way Jaw Jacker users do.  And for the record I don't own or use Jaw Jackers.  I just happen to agree with the Jaw Jacker and trolling analogy previously discussed in this thread.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #144 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:24 AM »
I think Sgt. Beers is a few beers short of a six pack...

Offline GERKMANY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I CATCH GERK MANY JOANS!!!!!
« Reply #145 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:50 AM »
This just sounds like another way to “legally extort” fishermen.
No where written are these devices “not authorized” & “current regulatory language”
They must take advice from Tom wolf. Both responses are literally “hear say”.
I will NOT COMPLY!! Show me the list of said illegal devices!!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:57 AM »
I was checked while using my homemade device that uses a rat trap to set the hook with a piece of coat hanger as the trigger and they said nothing about it being illegal. They saw it and asked me what it was and I told them. They thought it was the coolest thing that they ever saw and went about their business checking the other fisherman that were around me.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Dec 30, 2020, 03:05 PM »

Careful,you may just talk them into banning trolling or  make you buy a 'Trolling Tag'. Jaw Jackers are illegal in some states and until we see something more than than social media rumors here. shhhhh...
  We really have  it pretty good here-combo of five devices. There's a fine line between tip-ups,tip-downs and even jaw jackers.I not sure why they
would have a problem with them.

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Dec 30, 2020, 06:32 PM »
58 Pa. Code 63.5  "It is unlawful to use a method for taking fish from this Commonwealth, including boundary lakes and rivers, unless the method is specifically authorized by law or this part."

That's the direct quote from the regulations.  So the relevant question is not "Where are jawjackers prohibited?"  The relevant question is "where in the law or regulations are they 'specifically authorized'"?  They are not specifically authorized, so under this regulation they are unlawful.  It sounds as if PFBC folks have mostly not gone out of their way to enforce this, but if you get written up, they can make it stick.

Offline PennAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:25 PM »
The Jaw Jacker website says they're legal...I would think anyone that relies on this, uses them and gets a fine would have a recourse against the company under PA's Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection law. The UTPCPL provides for triple actual damages plus your attorney fees. If anyone gets a fine, Jaw Jacker should pay!

With that said, I got checked this week and had a couple and not a word was said...also I left my license in the car and the officer didn't make me go get. He just looked it up on his cell. Helluva nice guy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.