Author Topic: Locations  (Read 4927 times)

Offline treeplucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Locations
« on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:38 PM »
What's everyone's thoughts  if finding small walleye  where would  the bigger  ones be shallower  or deeper ???

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Locations
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:45 AM »
Feeding fish are usually shallower but big fish can be anywhere. I fish a lot of mid lakes humps in the winter (already have GPS cord.) and have caught bigger fish off the top and off the sides, but probably majority were on top either early or late in the day.

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Eyeflyer

Is that the locations for all winter long? First ice mid season and late ice?

What is your main technique?
Keep your stick on the ice

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Eyeflyer

Is that the locations for all winter long? First ice mid season and late ice?

What is your main technique?

Pretty well all winter with the exception of maybe the first two weeks and the last 2 weeks on some lakes.  Many of the humps I fish on have rocks on them so they are a spawning site as well so all season they are pretty productive on these lakes. Main technique is walleye flyer, slow poke or smack jig , jigging rap, rattle spoon and chubby darter. I mostly fish everything under a venom or ice buster float with a stand up style lure like the flyer or a slow poke or smack jig as I often will rest my hook right on the bottom after jigging. The stand up style really increased the hookups in my experience. Sometime the second line is a deadstick but I have an auto jigger made of a bbq rotisserie and on some days it works really well, some days deadstick is better.  All fisheries can be different but around here nothing concentrates winter walleye like mid lake humps, even better than points.
This came off a small hump on a walleye flyer

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:33 PM »
Thank you, not many of my local lake have walleye in southern michigan. So i have to travel to northern michigan, and only have a few days to fish for them. This will help out alot.
Keep your stick on the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.