Author Topic: Clam X200 pro thermal ice camp tent  (Read 12180 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Clam X200 pro thermal ice camp tent
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:23 PM »
So I just picked up an X200 pro thermal for an excellent price (bargain cave) and will be doing some mods to the thing for making it into an easily movable weekend sleeper flip over this summer. Seems like a great one man sleeper and should be alot more mobile than the xl6000 hub a couple of us have been using for awhile now. Any one have one of these flips and if so how do you like it? Anything you wish you would have changed before putting it to use? How much juice does the led clam light stick use? I'll post up some pics as I get things done to it but for now this is all I have

Wyoming & Idaho    

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Clam X200 pro thermal
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Congratulations..   Sweet score..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bet it got warm in there jigging in the driveway.....    ::) ::) ;D ;D ;) ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:32 AM »
Congratulations..   Sweet score..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bet it got warm in there jigging in the driveway.....    ::) ::) ;D ;D ;) ;)

Hard on the auger too.  ;)

Nice toy, and you get bonus points for getting gear ready early for next season.  ;D

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 07:52 AM »
Thanks guys, yes it was a hot mess enjoying a cold drink in the driveway in that thing. VERY hard on the auger but I couldnt keep the potatoe bugs and sugar ants off. Killed them  ;D  I had been watching that tent in the bargain cave since the end of december and ended up taking it off their hands for just under $500. If I wouldnt have been so caught up in the moment I could have saved another $60 on raise or ebay giftcards. DOH!!! what was I doing, oh well still a screaming deal. I had to put it away in the shed last night or I'll keep messing with it and never get my boat out  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 01:12 PM »
Nothing like playing with toys while enjoying a cold one. Now get that boat out. I've been on the water here, but the place in Maine still has a foot of ice. With luck it goes next week, but then I'll miss it by June.  ;D

Next year, let's kick off the season with a thread titled "Best auger for concrete driveways?".   ;)

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Matt I sure hope you don't have mice in that shed...     :-\

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Nothing like playing with toys while enjoying a cold one. Now get that boat out. I've been on the water here, but the place in Maine still has a foot of ice. With luck it goes next week, but then I'll miss it by June.  ;D

Next year, let's kick off the season with a thread titled "Best auger for concrete driveways?".   ;)

It definately time for the boat, not a hint of ice around here unless its in my drink. Agreed when it gets into the upper 90's here I'll really be missing the hard deck

Matt I sure hope you don't have mice in that shed...     :-\

No mice in the shed Dom, we dont get to many around my place. Its one of the lifetime sheds (12x14) made of vinyl and its pretty tight. I've been keeping my smaller flip in there and some sleeping bags the last few years and the worst I've had is a couple black widows & some hornets. Should be good to go
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Was finally able to get some work done on the sleeper. Got the original seat bar cut down and repositioned to be level with the rest of the tub and provide more than enough support for my top deck

Top deck board cut to fit around hinges, pole release's ect... and intial weight testing for my big butt

Then came the carpet, got everything glued and stapled in place along with getting the hinge where I believe it will need to be. I will find out the next day I get to do some work on it. Should be good to go

Even gave it the christening with a few cold ones and few spilled drops just to break it in later that evening

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Lights dont draw much work well when using them for walleye
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Very good to know aq234, I usually make my own led light bars but decided with this hut I would use the light stick that came with it. I'll be powering it with a jump box so I should have more than enough juice. I'll be putting some flush mount connections (usb, cig lighter ect..) to plug stuff in also
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2018, 02:15 PM »
Looks great mister....   :thumbsup:

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Thanks Dom, now to just getter done and get it smelling fishy  :icefish: :icefish:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Nice looking shack - like the mod to the unit!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Nice looking shack - like the mod to the unit!

Thanks, cant wait to put it to use. Got the electrical supplies & rubber mat for the tub ordered yesterday. Hoping to get the top deck attached to the tub this weekend and then I can post up some more progress pics  :thumbsup: :woot: :woot:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2018, 11:59 AM »
I did a similar thing to mine.  Only Dif is I built some compartments to hold my stuff, so it wasn't rolling around getting lost like it always did under the two seats...You'll love having just one large deck to sit on, set your coffee cup on, heater, bait puck, etc etc....Mine is now too heavy to really pull by hand, so I can only use it when pulling with my snowmobile.  But thats ok....when I do get to use it, its a double treat. Have fun and nice job on the mod.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Thanks perchnut, I have been throwing around the idea of making some compartments but decided to just put down some rubber matting in the bottom as the hyfax srcews are a little long and I dont want to cut them all down yet. We'll see how it goes. Maybe make a couple deviders to keep things to one side or the other  ??? ??? I usually pack stuff pretty tight so I shouldnt get to much stuff rolling around. YA RIGHT!!! I am adding some pinned boat seat bases for the seats in the deck to still use the seats that came with it when needed, but thats not top of the list as of yet. I'll definately be pulling this beast around with a machine for sure. The only time I would will be when its just staight ice no snow but I doubt that will be happening as I have a Frabil recruit for my day trips which is much lighter and doesnt need a machine for travel even though I still do  ;D
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Latest update. I ran into a problem that I didnt see when I was building the deck. I was thinking I could use just a 1 piece deck, but after looking at it for a while sitting in the garage I came to the relization that the 1 piece would work great when the tent was up but when the tent was down it would be really difficult to open the deck to put my gear in or get anything out. I pulled the carpet back and chopped 5in off each side of the deck and built new side pieces that got some new carpet

As you can see it the pics the tent material is pushed to the outside which isn't the norm for anyone that has a flip. With the tent up my youngest approves it as a sleeping area

Next I moved on to the hinge which I had previously installed, DUH. Of course it was about an inch to high on the deck, so I placed the deck in place in the up position and took the hinge off and re-attched it in the correct place to be functional.

Next came the power plug. This should work good hooking it up to either a barttery or most likely a jump box under the deck. That's the next project along with the mat I'm placing in the bottom of the tub

Here's the finished look/postion it will be in when loading it up / taking gear out / using it for day trips

Like I said next is a little bit of wiring, mat in the tub & of course some seat mounts
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2018, 05:53 PM »
That looks great, I am considering the same sled and want to make it into a sleeper as well. I like what you've done so far.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2018, 06:51 PM »
I just got an X300 and it is even bigger for this approach.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2018, 09:52 PM »
That looks great, I am considering the same sled and want to make it into a sleeper as well. I like what you've done so far.

Thanks, finally decided on my sleeping options and went with the klymit static V luxe insulated sleeping pad. Tried a few of these pads out and the luxe being 3in thick when inflated works awesome. Even for a side sleeper like myself. The low cot option I was looking at also just seemed like more to set up than this pad. We'll see

Very nice, me and my buddy have been watching the X400 for quite some time now as we wanted that for a double sleeper but I just couldn't pass the deal up on this one
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2018, 05:55 AM »
Great work Matt, that shanty is nice. And little girl approved!  :thumbsup:

Maybe I missed it, how much weight do you estimate the modifications add?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2018, 06:31 PM »
You know im not exactly sure how much weight I shaved off or added. The box all the seat stuff came in weights a ton so I'm guessing I'm six's with the wood deck minus all that seat stuff
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 08, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Excellent trade off for weight. The old gears are turning with ideas for something similar to yours.  :)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:21 PM »
Nice, I'll look forward to seeing it. Had some things to get done in the new enclosed trailer, installed some E-track so no progress on the sleeper this weekend. I did get my seat mounts all together after meeting prospector on my way into Idaho this weekend. That will be the next update along with the new tow bar. Went with the clam pro series hitch for this tank.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Got a couple things done last night while watching the game after staring at my hitch & foam matting for a couple weeks now. While I was at it I also decided to figure out how I wanted the top deck kickstand bar to go in. I was just winging it with this one, but am very happy with how it turned out. I was able to repurpose an old homemade tow bar I broke at cascade last year. 1st to go on was the clam pro hitch and what was nice was when they made the tub there was indented holes already alighned for this tow bar for easy drilling. I would recommend drilling one side of the holes 1st, installing the bolts put the backing bracket on then drilling the other 2 holes from the inside out. My precasted holes were just a little off but will not effect anything

Then went in the foam matting, utilizing the tow bar hardware to hold it up on one side

Then the kick stand for the top deck, very simple set up here. Just drilled a series of small holes along the edge where I planned to stick the flattened end of the old tow bar in. On the deck side the longer bracket the pipe is bolted to provides left to right support to keep the bar staight while in the stowed position along with a modified hanger bolt screwed into the deck for supporting it also. Should keep it in place while traveling

Next comes the seat mounts which will hopefully be done this weekend sometime
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I did get the sled finished up for our show & tell trip coming up on the 29th. Got the seat bases all mounted up

And the electical finished. I wired this so I can run it off my 4-12v LSA batteries that I have left over since going to lithium for the LX7 or plug the cig lighter into a jump box. Should be good for multi use

I am going to change this deck next season and make my door smaller and widen up the sides. It can be a bit tight when lifting the door up and then having to pull the tent out of the way when closing it back up. No biggie more to tinker with next fall
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:49 AM »
I'm glad you are making all the mistakes for me so I'm all set when I get mine in a few weeks!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Thats not a prob Dr.G, heres the 1st trip with the tent at Henry's lake idaho last weekend. The tent was perfect for 2 anglers all weekend long and will be a great sleeper for the weekend for me

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=359870.msg3882940#msg3882940
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I love the flag pole. What is the flag?
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.