Author Topic: Best Ice Deals!! Lets hear em!  (Read 1684098 times)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Re: Best Ice Deals!! Lets hear em!
« Reply #9300 on: Jan 19, 2022, 05:34 PM »
Let’s just say I wanted a generator to charge my trolling motor batteries on my boat…. And sometimes at avout 6,000 feet above sea level. Would that thing suffice?

Too many numbers for me to make any sense of it. Too good of a deal to just say “I don’t think it will work.”
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That’s why they call it fishing.
« Reply #9301 on: Jan 19, 2022, 05:52 PM »
It's the carburetor that causes issue in higher elevations. I'm sure these generators have jets for working fine from sea level up to around 3,000 feet above. As the air gets thinner the higher you go the jets have to be bigger to allow more oxygen in. Just for ha has, we humans don't perform all that well in the higher elevations because there is less O2 up there. I would bet if you could find bigger jets for those carbs they will do fine at higher levels.

At higher elevation, the motor gets less oxygen so it runs richer. You will want to lean the fuel out in a carburetor since it doesn’t meter oxygen except the air screw.  Electronic fuel injection will automatically do this since the oxygen sensor measures the exhaust O2 percentage, it’s also important to use the correct fuel rating fuel so it combusts most efficiently.

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9302 on: Jan 19, 2022, 05:57 PM »
Let’s just say I wanted a generator to charge my trolling motor batteries on my boat…. And sometimes at avout 6,000 feet above sea level. Would that thing suffice?

Too many numbers for me to make any sense of it. Too good of a deal to just say “I don’t think it will work.”

A stand alone generator won’t charge your trolling motor batteries; it will power your battery charger which will charge your battery. You need to look at the charger amp draw specifications to confirm the generator size is acceptable.  There is hardware available that will charge your trolling motor batteries using the outboard engines charging system.

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9303 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:04 PM »
That's weird that they don't recommend for use over 3000' I wonder if you can tune it so it will work?

It will stall when you try to draw 1000 watts above 3000’; it doesn’t have enough horse power Brewski.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9304 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:38 PM »
It will stall when you try to draw 1000 watts above 3000’; it doesn’t have enough horse power Brewski.
Yep, and we know how much power boats lose from 5,000' to 10'000'...
Cheers!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9305 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:45 PM »

Battery chargers do not take many watts, but look at the label to see its power draw  (or just google it). For instance I think the minnkota 3 bank 10A is like 400W. You'll lose a lot of power at 6,000 but it may work out okay. For $150 it would be worth a shot, not sure what you really have to lose.. can probably sell it locally used for your money back if it doesnt work
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9306 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:56 PM »

I have not looked deeply into the generators specs and connections. If it does have a 12V battery charging circuit you would want to know the amp output it produces and if your batteries are good with it. Battery charging is a little tricky in that it doesn't really matter how many volts the power source can produce and most times it doesn't need to send out all that high of an amperage. Your batteries specs dictate the optimum amperage they will do best with. Some batteries do best with a slow and low amp charge while others prefer a fast and higher amp charge. If you don't know the answers then I would suggest you plug your existing battery charger into the 120V output and hopefully the charger has a microprocessor circuit that will do the rest for you.
The carb on these gensets is set to work at under 3,000 feet above sea level. Depending upon what company made the carb it is highly possible they could have different jets to compensate for higher elevation operation where the ambient air contains a lot less oxygen. I have been through this with my dual sport motorcycles that were not fuel injected which usually can adjust automatically adjust to thinner air.
Any small engine repair place that is in those higher elevation areas would be well versed on what you need because just about every carbureted engine used up there would need either adjustment of the Air/Fuel mixture or different jets. I will caution you, if the air/fuel mixture is adjustable on the generator, be very careful. Too lean and you burn the valves and could scorch the jug and rings because it runs too hot. Too rich and you foul the plug and leave heavy unburnt fuel deposit on the piston and in the exhaust system. A good shop mechanic who know the area would be my best advice.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9307 on: Jan 20, 2022, 09:46 AM »
https://www.acmetools.com/search?pmid=redsale

GET $15-$45 ON SELECT MILWAUKEE ORDERS OF $99+
Purchase select Milwaukee orders of $99+ and save $15 when you use code: REDSALE during checkout. Purchase $199+ and save $30 or $299+ and save $45! Discount will be given to qualifying order with correct code use. Valid January 20, 2022 or while supplies last. See full list of qualifying items.

https://www.acmetools.com/m18-fuel-1-2-in-hammer-drill-kit-2804-22/045242002337.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9314 on: Jan 23, 2022, 09:32 AM »
Decent price on a pair of pretty solid milk crates. If you have a local TSC the Free ship to store kept price under $7 each for me.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/buddeez-heavy-duty-milk-crate-set-of-2-1186871

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9315 on: Jan 24, 2022, 11:54 AM »
Damn i got milk crates for sale 5$.pick up only in Hopkins mi.lol

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9316 on: Jan 24, 2022, 12:57 PM »
Nice Doc.  Most places around here are north of $12 for a decent crate.  Too spendy for me but they are handy!

Offline Butkus51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9317 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:41 AM »
Reeds outfitters has Striker Ice suits 30% off.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #9318 on: Jan 25, 2022, 01:40 PM »
I bought a CPO jiffy 10in drill and a jiffy 8in drill each for 1/2 price. They also have some cop powerbeads. Look under customer support. They ship for free if you spend $100. If you want a new auger you cannot buy direct.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #9319 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:06 PM »
Description said ultralight so I bit. At $143 (before taxes) seems a good deal seeing it list for $229.
Arrives next week so we’ll see if it really is a deal.
Thanks Hardwater Diehard!

Diehard wanted a report on this so here it is.
What I received was a ultralight auger in like new condition. No documentation but none required.
I tried it out today cutting 12-13 inches of ice and it cut as well as the original metal one.
Besides being much lighter, it appears to be 4” longer than metal one it replaces, plus the bLade cover is much nicer.
Now what do I do with the metal one? I see if anyone on Craigslist wants it as no space to store it.

Thanks for heads-up on this Diehard!
The tug is the drug.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9320 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:42 PM »

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9321 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:11 AM »
Diehard wanted a report on this so here it is.
What I received was a ultralight auger in like new condition. No documentation but none required.
I tried it out today cutting 12-13 inches of ice and it cut as well as the original metal one.
Besides being much lighter, it appears to be 4” longer than metal one it replaces, plus the bLade cover is much nicer.
Now what do I do with the metal one? I see if anyone on Craigslist wants it as no space to store it.

Thanks for heads-up on this Diehard!

Very nice ..the ION composite is the cousin to the Eskimo Pistol Bit .Good Luck with your purchase.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9322 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:28 AM »
Don't Dilly Dally!!!

My local Menards just got in a single box of 1 lb. Flame King refillables, so they may be shipping and stocked at your local stores too.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9323 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:12 AM »
Don't Dilly Dally!!!

My local Menards just got in a single box of 1 lb. Flame King refillables, so they may be shipping and stocked at your local stores too.

I wish I'd picked up one of the kits when they were more readily available...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9324 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:18 AM »

Me too Kayl, I don't necessarily need the stand but would love to have the extra bottle and the valve gadget for filling them in a vertical position. I keep checking all over the WWW and have yet to find a store that has the kits available.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Online RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9325 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:18 AM »
I wouldn't bother with the kit.  Buy any of the 90 degree refill adapters with the on/off valve from Amazon for $20 and just buy the tanks for around $15/ea.  I've got 6 of the bottles and love them.  They've definitely paid for themselves at this point.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9326 on: Jan 26, 2022, 11:57 AM »
You can reuse the disposables if you jam a screwdriver in the bleed valve as you fill....

Online RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9327 on: Jan 26, 2022, 12:19 PM »
You can reuse the disposables if you jam a screwdriver in the bleed valve as you fill....
LMAO I hope this is a joke...funny if it is...definitely don't do this.

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9328 on: Jan 26, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Marine General has some good sales on Bibs and Jackets. See if Reeds will price match for free shipping

https://www.marinegeneral.com/product-category/specials/super-sale/?

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9329 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:48 PM »
LMAO I hope this is a joke...funny if it is...definitely don't do this.

To each their own.  I use mine a season and then toss em.  Keep buying them for $15/ea though!  Hank Hill sure appreciates it.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.