Author Topic: Let me ask about landlocks...  (Read 8949 times)

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
Let me ask about landlocks...
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:48 PM »
So my buddy just got a landlocked.a decent 21 incher.real pretty female. I have set tip ups just under the ice with 6th leader and shiners or fatheads.have had numerous grab pull 10 ft and drops but never got a fish on unless it's a laker.want to catch a salmon so bad.i figure either trout or salmon are to blame. Which bait should I be using based on what you guys have found in them and what their forage and habits are. First what have you guys found in their stomachs? Small perch or pin smelt? Trying to key in on what they like to feed on is the first thing I feel. I figure if pinsmelt is a main course that the small 2 inch buckeyes on a small hook would do nicely to imitate them. Think near Creek inflows would be a good area to work out from. Thinking 10 to 60 fow would be good for my traps in a straight line. Input? Wondering if I should move away from the set line also maybe 20 or 50 yards and jig smelt or lakers. Well guys let me know what you think and your personal experiences.would also love to see some of these beauts so post em up! Thanks
Mb4 :tipup:

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Let me ask about landlocks...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:53 PM »
I've had more luck jigging for them with pimples and rapalas than on tip ups... Definitely want live bait or lively bait I should say.. I had heard from a few people that they will take crawlers on traps though, with reckless abandon but not all the time and typically if they are in shallow...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:18 PM »
Up here we have real good luck with smelts just under the ice to maybe 15 feet. I have had them hit 10 feet from shore and 100 yards from shore... Don't get discouraged, it could take a little while till you get the hang of it. You will get it after awhile and when you do its all over for them.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Pin smelts are #1 for salmon on tip ups, lake smelt a close second IMHO. I like to be in ~30 fow, set pinner maybe a foot under the ice. Be patient before setting the hook. I like to let them take some line twice, when they stop the second time give them 10-15 seconds to swallow the bait before setting the hook. Don't set the hook while they are taking line. Make sure your spools turn with no resistance. Good luck!
It must be something in the water.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2014, 02:42 PM »
What's the best way to get the real small ones? Also how big am I looking for?

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:15 PM »
You mean my salmon, Brownie?  ;D
Pete

JJ

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2014, 05:16 PM »
By far most of the ones I have caught through the ice came on tip-ups. Fish live bait like icicles or hunts, smelt of allowed, close to the ice and stay away form the tip-ups.

Don't have many digital pics of them, used to catch them much more regularly here.

Have lots of open water pics:

Offline MrFishfinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2014, 10:01 AM »
How has the salmon fishing on LG now? any better than it was 10-15 years ago?

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:00 PM »
How has the salmon fishing on LG now? any better than it was 10-15 years ago?

Worse from what I have heard.

Offline Chase88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:17 PM »
Right now is the best salmon fishing on Lake George I have had ever and I have fished it since the 70's.  The Sebago salmon are really taking off.

Offline FishinHank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep Fish,  It does a body good
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2017, 03:01 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread here.

I have caught numerous atlantics through the ice on Keuka, all on tip-ups. We set our bass shiners 10-20ft below the ice. I used to run a 6lb leader but I lost a lot of them at the hole because they went ballistic. I upped it to 8 or 10 and had a few less bites, but didn't lose so many. I ran at least a 3ft leader from the nearest weight to the bait.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:48 PM »
I am going to try for LS in Jersey, if it locks up,   I need to know if its better to fish just under the ice or deeper .  The lake we are going to has two 90 holes.  An old iron pit in the 1800's.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Geo.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.