Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bass

Favorite LMB Ice Jigs/Lures

<< < (8/8)

RapShack:

--- Quote from: dave b. on Dec 27, 2020, 06:17 PM ---so i see that this has not been active for a while. kind of intrigued by the results people got with the chubby darters and other lipless crank baits. in process of procuring some to try. what size trebles are you changing the stock ones to? any more insights? one of my goals this year is to target bass more. I have a general idea where they are and what depths to try. I catch them often on minnows on tip ups on the lake i fish. interested in hooking up on the jigging rod more.

--- End quote ---

If you can find them schooled up it's about the most fun you can have.  I like to hole hop and jig pretty agressive, a few good long pulls to get the rattles going then a pause, rinse and repeat a few time and move on.  Rattling spoons seem to work pretty well too.

stripernut:
How you fish the Chubby Darter is important; here is how I most often do, but it is not the only way.
I have posted this before;
Here is how I have been fishing them;

The cadence is 2 big arm sweeps (2-4ft), short pause (3-4 sec.), 5-6 "jerks" of about 4-6 inches, pause, then a short "vibration", then repeat. If in 2 or 3 cycles I don't mark fish or hook up, I move to the next hole. This is about what I start out with each trip out. One of the things that makes this lure work so well is when fished right it swims in a large circle, when you pause it turns and "swims" back to the "center".

I often keep a second rod rigged with a smaller jig and the few times that I could get it down to the fish that the Darter has "Called" in and could not get to hit, the fish I hooked were small.

dave b.:
Lots of good nuggets of info on this thread, Always been a tip up guy and I am trying to expand my techniques. Thanks for the help.

The Walri:
Chubby Darter's usually one of my first lures down the hole when prospecting fish.  Haven't hooked up with many bass on it but it sure calls them in.  Gonna try stripernuts cadence tomorrow.  Thanks for the tip.

What's everyone's go-to darter color?  I like the yellow perch at the lakes I fish.

stripernut:
Perch is a safe bet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version