Author Topic: Whoo hoooo  (Read 5726 times)

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Whoo hoooo
« on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:22 PM »
Look, the yoopers have their own section! Thanks Scott! Any yoopers alive on the board yet, are or you all in the woods still? I gave up on deer- what a crappy season. Looking forward to ice though!

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: Whoo hoooo
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2005, 06:17 AM »
K&G--I just got back to checking this site after the summer break and a move to Hancock in July.  Used to live in Traverse City when I was posting last winter.   
Chris Raymond

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:17 AM »
Sweet! Good to have another yooper on the board! You should check out upwoodsnwater.com. It's pretty dead this time of year with everyone hunting whitetails, but it will be picking up shortly.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Captain Ron Brooks

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2005, 12:42 AM »
Its great to know there are other yoopers on the board....Happy Holidays!!!

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigan's Upper Peninsula
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:08 AM »
Count another Yooper in here. Live down by Wallace but fish quite a bit farther up. I'm around and will post what I can.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:17 AM »
Count in another Yooper. :D :D Live down here by Witch lake. Alot of lakes around here. Try to post what I can.   ::) ::)

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2005, 02:39 PM »
Backwoodswalker, is that the Witch Lake north of Sagola? I've never fished that Witch Lake, but have spent a bit of time on Squaw across the highway. In fact it's one of my favorite bass lakes in all the Yoop. I haven't ice fished it yet, but maybe this year ... of course my wish list of maybe this year lakes is about 8 pages long.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:53 PM »
There are alot of decent lakes around there, some good brookie lakes too! Backwoods, you'll have to show me the brookie spots one day, I hear lots about them, but never seen them! Secretive trout fishermen...  :P

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Go yoopers, don't ketchem all  :tipup:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2005, 11:21 AM »
Yup, I live about 1 mile from witch. Witch is a hard lake to fish. In the winter I never have done any good. Summer it is o.k. Squaw is getting too busy. Getting jet skis out therer in summer. And some butthead with a pretty wooden speedboat that likes to go 100 mile an hour.  Some good fishing though. Yup, There are some good trout lakes around here too. The best are hidden back in the woods, Not on maps.  Have 1 real close that is SUPER for brookies. Squaw lake in winter pretty much calls for a snow machine. Not usually plowed. Some good fishing though. Twin lake has some nice perch, But you must fish deep. Alot of little ones too. Horseshoe, I never have ice fished it. Catch some real nice gills in there in summer, Crappies too. A couple decent pike. Witch has some nice walleye but are real hard to catch. Have to fish it in summer and learn the layout to get em in winter. Not many people fish it in winter(good). Been told fence lake is good ice fishing, Don't know. Will find out this winter though. I think all the lakes are pretty much safe now, Around here. Hope to see some of you out on the ice this winter. We go to Tip Up Town on Sawyer every year. It is a blast. It is in Feb. I will post exact date when I know for sure. Lots of cheap fun. Fishing derby, Kid stuff, Snow machine races. Goes on for 2 days. Good clean fun.  Hope to see you guys out there.  Steve 

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Steve, I'll second the issues with Witch Lake. I haven't been there is a couple of years but it kicked my butt the last time, and pretty much every time I've been there. My strongest memory is that black rottweiler on the point that followed us around, barking and frothing anytime we got even close to shore. He seemed a tad protective of his yard. You're right about Squaw too. I've lived in the U.P. for 6 years now, get up there a couple of times a year and it keeps getting busier. I'm spending more time on Gene's Pond and Groverland's, as well as the reservoirs. I'll post what I run in to and maybe we'll bump into each other out there. I'll be the lunatic that has about 40 holes drilled.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2005, 02:27 PM »
Do you do pretty well on Gene's Pond? Ive only ever brought home the big skunkaroo...

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2005, 03:28 PM »
It's a better summer fishery than winter, in my humble opinion, but yes. It doesn't have many perch or walleye, but the ones we catch are quality and they're really aren't too many locations you need to work to find them. Stay true to the river channel that cuts through the lake and there you go. Much of the water is too shallow for winter fishing. It requires a snowmobile to reach most of the time, but it can be good. I love to fish it in summer. Just love to work the timber for bass and walleye. It's not deep, as I'm sure you know.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2005, 04:22 PM »
Does a northern MNtan count as a yooper?  I've definitely been known to use it in my vocab. every once in a while

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2005, 09:57 PM »
Fish AuTrain quite abit, had a pretty good year there last year, and managed my personal best Walleye thru the ice, 10lber ;D  Love the snowmobilling in the U.P as well.

Offline CaughtYa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was ICE fishin'
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2005, 11:14 PM »
Count another Yooper in here. Live down by Wallace but fish quite a bit farther up. I'm around and will post what I can.

Nice to see another Menominee County resident on the site. I went out for the first time on 12/13 and caught a few nice bluegills and a 12" crappie off of Cachenbach Island. 8" of good black ice out there. Hope to try Hayward Lake next week.  :tipup: 

C.Y.

The great thing about winter is it ferrets out the wimps!

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:13 PM »
one more yooper here.  movin back across the river this summer.  any one else fish the monominee river????
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:35 PM »
Two weekends ago I fished off mason park by the shanty town growing there. Missed one slab gill, then the power drills started and didnt stop. That put a quick halt on the bite.

Offline unkymer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2005, 02:45 PM »
Are there really enough panfish to make Hayward Lake worth fishing? I've never tried it, but I hear it's pretty shallow.

Offline bulldog_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:59 PM »
another YOOPER that can use the computer.  What are your favorite fishing lakes in the UP??  I look forward to this time of year every day the temp is above 32 degrees. hoping for cold to help the ice thicken up.  Is the fishing bad every where?  I have spent 30+ hours fishing this year very slow.  any other reports out there?  happy fishing

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Happy New Year U.P.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:19 AM »
another YOOPER that can use the computer.  What are your favorite fishing lakes in the UP??  I look forward to this time of year every day the temp is above 32 degrees. hoping for cold to help the ice thicken up.  Is the fishing bad every where?  I have spent 30+ hours fishing this year very slow.  any other reports out there?  happy fishing

Fishing has been slow. We did ok for pike on Autrain Basin, and OK on the Groveland Mine ponds, but that's about the extent of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.