Author Topic: jiggin for bass  (Read 14257 times)

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
jiggin for bass
« on: Mar 03, 2005, 05:10 PM »
i fish a lake where we regularly catch good size large mouths on our tip-ups but would like to catch some on my jig rod does anybody have any suggestions?

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: jiggin for bass
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2005, 05:46 PM »
I have found that bass are generally caught incidental to other species such as panfish or walleye. I have caught most of my bass on #3 jigging rapalas that were not tipped with anything, but tipping with a tiny minnow head or minnow eye would probably work even better. They regularly hit small jigs tipped with maggots or waxies fished for bluegills, crappies, and perch.
Bass usually seem to lollygag away from the first major drop off from shallow to deep water. They aren't all that active but they do feed. If you have a good population of them in the waters your fishing, fishing for panfish will usually yield a few bass.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2005, 07:16 AM »
I have done well jigging Bass with an ant jig with a waxie or mousie or an airplane jig. But my most success has come with jigging rapalas. Have done well with the smallest and the next size biggest in the blue color. You can catch just about everything else with them as well.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2005, 02:54 PM »
thanks guys what depth would you suggest? where i fish it is porbably less than 6 feet.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2005, 03:26 PM »
Fish wherever you get them on tipups. If its only 6 feet deep, I'd fish 6 feet deep. ;)

Offline WartHog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2005, 11:42 AM »
We have had success jigging for bass using small Kastmasters.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:00 PM »
I have a pond where it's easier to get big perch on the largest shiners I can find with tip ups,  but you have better luck with jigging raps for the bass. Go figure.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:09 PM »
jigging raps, kastmasters, or swedish pimples (medium sizes) tipped with strips of dead minnows.  You'll hook um with perch and pickeral as well with these jigs if there in your lakes

Offline freaknsweet17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What Are you lookin at?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2008, 05:03 PM »
use a lure in the same color as the live bait you use

id use a tube (white silver flake) on a jig head
ICE FISHING!!!

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:45 PM »

or a gold kastmaster

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: jiggin for bass-how does a bass tayste?????
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:07 PM »
I have found that bass are generally caught incidental to other species such as panfish or walleye. I have caught most of my bass on #3 jigging rapalas that were not tipped with anything, but tipping with a tiny minnow head or minnow eye would probably work even better. They regularly hit small jigs tipped with maggots or waxies fished for bluegills, crappies, and perch.
Bass usually seem to lollygag away from the first major drop off from shallow to deep water. They aren't all that active but they do feed. If you have a good population of them in the waters your fishing, fishing for panfish will usually yield a few bass.

Tyler

Hey how do bass tayste like? Are they similar to walleye?

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2008, 05:58 AM »
Swedish Pimples tipped with a pin head shiner or a bluegill or perch eye.

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:56 PM »
i catch most of my bass on small glider glo jigs with waxies they outfish my tip ups or any other minnow type baits(for me) at my lake. Even though it is a small jig i have catches of 5-6 pound bass with it good luck

Offline SkeeterMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:29 AM »
The tip ups work because there is little movement. Bass are very sluggish in cold water, as they are preserving their energy and do not feed agressively often (though sometimes they go nuts). I've observed them through the spearing hole, and they come in very slowly, and really eye things up.
I would suggest, whatever bait you use, to move it very little, if at all. A little action will work right after ice up, but as the season progresses, less is better.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:32 AM »

Tyler

I agree with the above post. When I catch them jigging I am not usually targeting them.  These two were caught on 4mm Wolfram jig with a waxie when I was fishing for pannies.

Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I saw a show on In-Fisherman Ice Guide where they were targeting smallies on erie. They used the demon jigging spoon in size 4.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:48 PM »
I always have a line rigged up with a #3 orange dace chubby darter tipped with a minnow tail on the back hook.  Have had good luck with this.  When I see a bass on the cam, I raised up a little, jig to get his attention and when he makes a move I just jiggle it slightly or barely move it at all.

Offline dan in pa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2010, 07:40 PM »
I pretty much use small pimples and lately a Lindy darter (small one) for whatever wants to bite em.  I've caught some good bass that way.  Funny, today I was watching some good bass, and pannies on the cam and for the most part they ignored my lures.  I suspect it is due to them not in a feeding mood.  I caught a few, but they were luke warm at best to my presentation.  I left before figuring them out.  I got froze out.  I even saw a good bass 15+ come up to the camera to perhaps check it out, then lay on the bottom for the longest time...

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Last year I had my best year yet jigging bass using the small Chubby Darter (Perch color), not tipped with anything (KILLS THE ACTION). I have caught bass on most of the other lure mentioned, but none have produced like the chubby darter. I plan on picking up some of the Lindy Darters, I am sure they will fish just as well and cheaper to. I did drop to many big bass becauce of the small hooks...
Tight Lines,
Allan

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Marmooskas with a charchruse tiny tail and a waxworm. Put the waxworm on perpendicular to the marmooska and tiny tail, it should look like a cross. Hold your rod pencil style, do what ever you do to get there attention and when they come into look at it let your natural shakiness do all the jigging. That tiny tail will dance like crazy. 4-5 pound bass on a light rod and 2 pound test is really fun, I don't care who you are.

Offline iceotter28

• IceShanty Rookie
  • born to jig
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2010, 02:52 PM »
i use a small pimple with a waxy for small mouth and a jigging raps for large mouth if that's what I'm after. often i catch large mouths on micros fish for pan fish. seems like i either get one on the first drop or the pan fish vanish and in a few a larger predator fish will come in. seems like the activity draws them in.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:36 PM »
I catch bass off the jiggin rod like this. i have a wire rod holer. i take a somewhat sensitive rod with 10lb test and an 8 lb leader. i put on a #4 hook and a split shot 2 feet up. hook on a medium minnow after u depth the hole and pull up the line. reell up 2 feet

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:04 PM »
 Use pike tactics like using jigging raps.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2013, 11:43 PM »
This past Sunday;

Chubby Darter all the way!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.