Author Topic: dogs when to say good bye??  (Read 8707 times)

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
dogs when to say good bye??
« on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:34 AM »
I'm  just trying to get some input to help make my decision easyer , old age(10yr) has set in fast and my dog is having site problems, arthritis, small lumps ,grouchiness. the vet said anytime is OK with her. so my question is do you put him down now before it gets any worse and is totally blind and can't walk and does not know who i am or do it let him got till all those things get that bad?? what would you all do with your dogs? tough choices.

jillbe

Re: dogs when to say good bye??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:40 AM »
as someone who has had dogs his whole life it is the hardest thing to do, but it is hard to see him suffer too.

Offline shiner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Native Vermont Icer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:01 AM »
Hi Trev ! It is very hard to do ! Had to put one down two years ago. One of the hardest decisions I have ever made.  :( :( Tears in my eyes now :( :( (Thinking about her) 11yrs. Don't think about your self hearting . Think about the dog ! Dont let it suffer ! Good luck !
        SHINER 8)

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:07 AM »
trev.

I know that making a decision like this is difficult at best, no less difficult than if you had to watch your own child going through similar difficulty. I have only had one dog in my entire life that died of natural causes. All the others had similar problems to what yours is going through now with one having hip displacia, one having a tortioned stomach and one with a tumor the size of a basketball in her abdomen.

The one with the tumor was only 5 and was bar none the best dog I ever had. It still chokes me up to write about or think about what happened. My father in law at the time was a vet and did surgery on her when she was 3 to remove a growth on the outside of her stomach area near her nipple line. He wasn't sure what the growth was, but said it was gone and told us that it shouldn't be a problem any more. For the next two years she was fine, good as new. All this time she was growing the same growth inside her bowl area and all at once she stopped eating. Her stomach felt bloated so I took her in and they did xrays. I have never seen anything like it. I didn't have a lot of time to make a decision. She was miserable and the tumor had squeezed all of her internal organs. My father/in/law wouldn't operate and said she had no chance to survive. That almost killed me, but for her sake I couldn't put her through any more suffering. I swore I would never put myself through that again. I finally gave in 4 years later and got the Rot I have now. He is 5 now. I don't want to think about what might happen, but in the back of my mind I know it is inevitable. When that time comes I will not let him suffer trying to prolong his life. I would rather remember him in all his greatness and not his pain.

My heart goes out to you.  :(

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:14 AM »
sorry to hear trev, hard thing to do. if you are asking us  id be willing to bet deep in your heart you already know the answer, especially since only you truly know the answer.youll make the right choice when you know its time. good luck and god bless  :)

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:28 AM »
you guys are right i know the answer as a hunter and fisherman no animal should go to the point of suffering (past their prime)i was hoping someone would say "don't do it" leave him alone but we as pet owners have the luxury of having this option to put them down i hope that 60 years from now we will have this choice for ourselves,when our bodys start shutting down for good.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:32 AM »
The following poem by Kipling sums it all up.

The Power of the Dog
There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart to a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair--
But...you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-term loan is as bad as a long--
So why in Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Rudyard Kipling

I now have 3 dogs and often wonder why I set myself up for the inevetable end till I look at them watching me then I know. :tipup:

Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Bobman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Free Speech Advocate #000020
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:38 AM »
trev,

I know what you're going through.  I just had the same hard choice to make earlier this year (January).  My 10 year old lab had cancer.  My vet told me the same thing, whenever I thought it was time was OK.  Unfortunately no one but you can make the ultimate decision.  I knew it was time for my dog when he got to the point that he was only comfortable when asleep and drugged with his pain killers.  I only took a week from the time he was diagnosed until he was gone.  Probably the toughest thing I've ever had to do.  He was the second one I lost in almost a year.  Still haven't gotten over it completely yet and I'm not sure I want to go through that again anytime soon.  Best thing to remember is the good times you had with the dog and how much better your life has been because of the dog.  I feel for you, it's a tough thing to do but you have to do what's best for the dog.  It's the ultimate responsibility of any good pet owner.
There's a hole in my ice!

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2005, 08:42 AM »
Letting a dog die with dignity is the only way to show them real respect :tipup:
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Letting a dog die with dignity is the only way to show them real respect :tipup:

I think that quote sums it up perfectly. 2 Dogs - That poem actually gave me chills. Here's another one that a friend sent me when I had to put my Lab down. Boy, for a bunch of tough icefishermen  ::) we sure get soft when we talk about our dogs.

"A Loan From God"

God promised at the birth of time,

A special friend to give,

His time on earth is short, he said,

So love him while he lives.

It may be six or seven years,

Or twelve or then sixteen,

But will you, till I call him back,

Take care of him for me?

A wagging tail and cold wet nose,

And silken velvet ears,

A heart as big as all outdoors,

To love you through the years.

His puppy ways will gladden you,

And antics bring a smile,

As guardian or friend he will,

Be loyal all the while.

He'll bring his charms to grace your life,

And though his stay be brief,

When he's gone the memories,

Are solace for your grief.

I cannot promise he will stay,

Since all from earth return,

But lessons only a dog can teach,

I want you each to learn.

Whatever love you give to him,

Returns in triple measure,

Follow his lead and gain a life,

Brim full of simple pleasure.

Enjoy each day as it comes,

Allow your heart to guide,

Be loyal and steadfast in love,

As the dog there by your side.

Now will you give him all your love,

Nor think the labor vain,

Nor hate me when I come to call,

To take him back again?

I fancy each of us would say,

"Dear Lord, thy will be done,

For all the joy this dog shall bring,

The risk of grief we'll run.

"We'll shelter him with tenderness,

We'll love him while we may,

And for the happiness we've known,

Forever grateful stay.

"But shall the angels call for him,

Much sooner than we've planned,

We'll brave the bitter grief that comes,

And try to understand."

Author Unknown

Offline coldashell

• IceShanty Rookie
  • they call me ....."the fish killer"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2005, 09:57 AM »
Trev-

hey bud, i know how you feel.  i thought i was gonna have to make the same choice two day ago.  the wife called me home from work at 9:30am that day, and when i got there i knew my dog  had to get to a vet now.   well as it turned out the vet was able to fix her up but it was a major surgery.  the thought of losing one of your best friends is enough to take down even the strongest of men,  but your not alone.   just remember all the times you shared with them and that nothing lasts forever.  :'(
...........a bad day on the lake is better then a good day at work.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Memories last forever
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2005, 10:42 AM »
I feel for ya, I had to have my German Shepard put down 15 years ago, she had hip dipslasia (spelling).  We new it was coming and did all we could, but I finally couldn't take seeing her suffer, laying in her own urine and feces and being unable to get up was just too much to take.  I took her to the vet and held her in my arms while the vet gave her the shot, she just went to sleep for good.  It was tough to do but it was for the best.  10 years later I got the dog we have now, a great Hienz 57 that I wouldn't trade for the world. 

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2005, 11:11 AM »
Well Trev, The LBD to the left there is going to be 14 in April.  I have been thinking quite a lot about what to do.  So far things are still going well.  Her eyesight and hearing are going, but she still loves to go out for walks and goes icefishing every weekend.  I live in a second floor appartment and I have told her that as long as she can still make it in and out herself then we're ok.  When they can't go out and enjoy life then you know that it is time.  As long as they can still play and get around then I say keep them as long as you can. 

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2005, 11:13 AM »
Trevor-Thinking of you,I've been in your position,I love my dogs and get very attached to them.
   Early in my life, I was in your position and I kept putting off the inevitable..My dog was going blind,slow moving,etc. but I just couldn't bring myself to take her in. One day a neighbor came over for a visit and when he went to leave,we weren't watching, and he backed over the dog. I swore that day I would never let that happen again-I felt I had let my best friend down,failed to protect her as she would have done for me.
   we live on a farm and I've always had Border collies(working dogs).About 20yrs ago Our home was broken into(we were away) and in order to gain access they shot my dog. I was so mad if I could have I would have got my revenge-I didn't even care about the stuff they stole,I know that dog gave her life protecting our home.
   My wife always says I love the dog more than her(joking)and I tell her if she wagged her tail and licked my hand every time she saw me I'd love her that much too.
Best of wishes and when the time comes let her sleep away with dignity.
Tombo

Reg

« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2005, 12:41 PM »
A Special Prayer
   “From A Dog To His Master”  Written by Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart
in all the world is more grateful for kindness than
the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I
should lick your hand between the blows, your patience   

and understanding will more quickly teach me the things
you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Offline panfishpmp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2005, 12:57 PM »
Make me think of my old lab Paco. Put him down two years ago (18 yrs old) he was still kickin. Had him since i was 6 he was my best friend.  He was so old his skull had deterated so his head was just soft. He would have went for ever had I let him. It was the hardest thing I've had to do in my 28 years, but when I thought about I wish someone could help me out when I am ready to go. I'll never forget our last day. Take care and they always say what doesnt kill us makes us stronger. I think if youre thinking about it you know its time.
Kevin Kiffmeyer

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:44 PM »
  I'm kinda going through the same thing as you are, but I guess my situation is a little different.  I have a black lab/mutt that I have called my brother for 9 years now, & I treated him like my little brother since I didn't have one.  I moved out of my parents house about 8 months ago, and miss spending time with him.  We got him when he was about 9 months, and he has some great blood in him.  A natural born hunter.  I have spent many great times with him, whether it was a walk in the woods chasing squirrels & grouse, a truck ride into town, or out fishing.  My best memories of Gill are on the lake.  He loves to retrieve (he'd chase his ball till he passed out dead), and whenever I'd take him out, he'd try to chase the lures I was throwing!  It took some serious training to keep him from jumping out of the boat!  ;D  And ice fishing, he'd sit there right next to the hole with me, staring at the bobber, & eventually when he couldn't take it anymore he'd try to snap it outta the hole.  It use to bug me, but now I just remember those great times with him.  I was talking to my parents a couple of nights ago, & they said that he won't even come out of the porch any more.  He can hardly walk down the steps, & he won't come in the house any more for some reason.  All he does is sit in the porch and sleep.  It breaks my heart that I can't be there with him in his last days.  It also kills me that I might not be able to see him before he gets put down.  My parents are going to try to help him hold on until I can see him one last time, hopefully in 1 1/2 weeks.  It feels like I'm loosing a brother.   :-[  Man, this is tough.  I've tried not to think about it too much, but I'm getting teary-eyed.  And I didn't cry at my grandma's funeral.  Anyways, I have gone through this once in the past, right before we got Gill.  It killed me then, and it kills me now.  You will know when it's time.  When she looks into your eyes & gives you that sad look, you just know that all she wants is to say goodbye.  My prayers go out to you & I'm sure anyone else that has every owned a dog so great as to call it man's best friend also feels you pain.  I hope God gives ya strength, man.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:45 PM »
Trev,

I feel for you.  I put down our 13 yr old dog "Montana" (bad cancer) about 5 yrs ago.  We had him cremated and his ashes were spread up at our lake house (the place he loved to go and run!).  To this day, his collar and leash are hanging from a tree branch where we spread his ashes.  Each time we come down the driveway, we see it.  It makes us smile.   He really was part of our family and has never been forgotten.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:51 PM »
  By the way guys, thanks for the poems.  They sum it up so perfectly.  One of God's greatest gifts to man was our best friend.  There is just something about them.  They always forgive unconditionally.  I had a couple of rough times in high school (the loss of friends, loss of girls, bad grades, bad days on the lake  :))  and he was always there.  Sometimes I'd just sit there for hours, stroking his head & talking to himself.  I know he couldn't understand my "people language," but I knew he understood that I was hurting.  He'd just cuddle up to me, lay his head on my lap, & listen.  Man, more tears.  Anyways, thanks again for the poems.  It's nice to know that there are some people that are decent in the world and that actually care about when other people are hurting.  Have a good one, guys.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2005, 02:11 PM »
At age 53 I can't tell you how many best friends I have lost. I feel for us all when the inevitable happens and even more for those who have to decide the end.
My very best advice is to understand your dog and the pain he/she is in. Lost vision, I can lead! Lost hearing, I can listen! Treatable problems that give good results are also fine but PAIN in every thing they do is cruel.
Trev, judge your decision by the ammount of pain your buddy is in. I know it is a hard thing but it is much better to end suffering.
My prayers to you and your Pooch.
Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2005, 03:16 PM »
You guys have all made me get tears in my eyes agin.Trevor be strong its not an easy thing,i know i just had to do it three weeks ago,my best friend of almost 14years was told he had lymphoma,i miss him so much i know life will never be the same.Midnight was a shepard lab mix,i looked so foreward to seeing him everyday,but now hes gone and all we have is the greatest of memories and a bunch of pictures that are so special.Just want to let you guys know that if you love your pets as much as i do you will make the right decision.Im still having trouble with this i kind of feel like i gave up to easy,i feel like i should have done more for him.Im 46 and have to go i cant write anymore rite now.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2005, 03:18 PM »
Sorry to hear things are turning for the worse.  I, personally, believe in quality of life over quantity of life.  If it were you in that shape, what would you want him to do for you?  The choice is never an easy one, and the actions are even harder.  Best of luck with a most difficult decision.

My imported German Shepherd contracted Lymphoma at 2.5 years old and she had to be euthanised. One of the most heart-wrenching decisions of my life.  After $2500 of diagnostics over 3 months, all avenues had been exhausted, but her suffering continued.  I chose to end the pain.
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2005, 04:28 PM »
just sitting here at the computer downstairs he just heard me move in my chair and not seeing me actually get up he headed up the stairs still thinking he's a pup he tries to run up the stairs he stubled half way up the stairs he stopped to look back at me and was not even looking in the right direction just kinda a stair and he does this almost everytime for the month.now he's limping again i feel that it is a matter of time before he really breaks something.he whines all the time cause he can't see us and is worried about something.
well today after talking to the wife and son allot and reading this every hour we have decided to get one more Dr. visit  tommorow morning to see if he has unchanged in anything then we will have one last weekend  with him then Monday afternoon we will take him to the vet for the last time. he then will be cremated and put in my gun room on his own special shelf.

Offline shiner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Native Vermont Icer
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2005, 05:40 PM »
Trev my heart is with you ! Got my dogs urn in bedroom close to me . My sons will send her with be when I go . As I'm sitting here typing this my 10 month old golden mix is wanting to go out . Had to have another one! ( unconditional love.) ;) Hard to lose a good friend.  Our prayers are with you !  2nd post today! Lots of good loving people on this site .  SINER 8)

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2005, 06:04 PM »
Trev just read your last post,alls i can say be with your friend hold him hug him and love him with all your heart.On these last few days you will bond with your friend like you never knew you could.I will be thinking of you and your friend on Monday.Prayers to you and your family and a special prayer for your friend.             My deepest regrets.         Wayne                                         

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2005, 06:40 PM »
Hey Trev,

Sorry for your pain. We recently had to put down an 18 year old cat, who had all the personality in the world. The vet sent a condolence card, and on it was the poem, "Rainbow Bridge", which I have pasted here. It has helped.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together....

- Author Unknown

This is a link to the poem:
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Gregg

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Trev My heart goes out to you also. My Bailey I had to put down  2 yr's ago so hard she had liver cancer. Vet said she had a month it was Oct ground ready to freeze so I dug her grave crying wile throwing the ball for her.She died 1 month 2 days Now her grave is a stone with name /date flowering shrub above that And a 8 buy 16 Grape arbor around it,  Wife Say's it a shrine  Say's I wouldn't do it for her?????

Offline wkules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lookin' for EYES!!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:21 PM »
Trev,
Bobbers Down and Flags Up !!!

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2005, 07:27 PM »
A Special Prayer
   “From A Dog To His Master”  Written by Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart
in all the world is more grateful for kindness than
the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I
should lick your hand between the blows, your patience   

and understanding will more quickly teach me the things
you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.