Author Topic: Brook Trout??  (Read 2554 times)

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
Brook Trout??
« on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Hey all, could use some advice. One of my local lakes has some really nice brookies in it. I seem to catch them occasionally while jigging for perch. Always tight to the bottom. My question is....do any of you have any ideas on fishing deep where they are but avoiding the perch. Would love to still catch nice perch but would like to have a rod out to target brookies. We caught one yesterday that went 13 inches. This is a BIG brook trout for North Idaho, but again we were jigging for perch and he just happened by. Any advice would be appreciated!
I fish therefore I lie

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brook Trout??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Hi, you never said how deep you fishing when you caught the Brookies when jigging? If it's deeper than 15 feet you may want to jig or set up tip ups from 5- 10 feet down. Trout tend to suspend. This way you will be above the perch and in the trout's window. A good tool would be a flasher to see at what depht the trout are swimming though at.

Ted

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:43 PM »
Hi Ted, no flasher for now...maybe after tax season. LOL. I was running 3 tip ups from 5-20 ft down without a flag all day. Every time I've caught a brookie out of this lake it's been on the bottom, from (I'm guessing) 20-40 ft down. Deep enough that perch have blown up air bladders when they come out of the hole. The lake has bows, browns, and cut-throats too. Have caught some nice trout, but those brookies are just so yummy. We can also keep 25 a day here which will fill the smoker or a few frying pans. Anyway, I'll keep trying different depths and let you know. Thank you for the reply.

Dave
I fish therefore I lie

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:17 PM »
If it's deeper than 15 feet you may want to jig or set up tip ups from 5- 10 feet down. Trout tend to suspend. This way you will be above the perch and in the trout's window.

use a little larger bait also. 

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:17 PM »
get shallower.  The deepest I ever target brookies is 10 feet of water, caught them is as little as 9"  brookies love to cruise shallow flats under the ice picking up nymphs and other similar food's.  You can't beat being able to look down the hole and watch them hit. Try setting a trap or two in that shallow, try baiting with crawlers/ worms
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Thanks guys, I might try tomorrow. Just haven't decided if I want to go pike fishing or trout fishing. Damn decisions! I'll set traps out from shore and jig for perch at the end of the line......although all fish are caught at the end of the line I suppose. I'll let you know and thanks again for the tips.
I fish therefore I lie

Offline fishaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Hey guys. Went out today to the same lake. Fished in 5-10 ft of water with a little jiggin spoon tipped with crawlers. Caught 11 brookies between 8-13 inches long. Thank you guys, your tips made the day for me. The fam will also love it since we will be dining on fresh caught brookies this evening.

Dave
I fish therefore I lie

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2011, 04:44 PM »
hey way to go Ive caught every kind of trout and my favorite is and has always been Brooke's. size don't matter just eat more.

Offline thessalaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:26 AM »
i happen to live in the land of giant specks, and every year our lakes produce specks in the 6-10 lb range, the odd one bigger yet.
Rule of thumb amongst the hardcore speck fishermen is to NOT use small bait.
specks are vicious and will attack anything in the water that they think they can stuff down.
switch to 6 inch minnows, sucker, chub, dace, not sure what you have there, but go big or go home.  This should take care of your perch problem, but you will probably surprised that the perch will tackle a big minnow like that every now and then too.
Also, specks come right in shallow to feed, and we fish in 2-5 ft of water most often.
Get you line or lines in with this live bait, and then either get off the ice to shore and watch your rigs from there, or move as far away as legally possibly and become a statue.  Generally though, fishing in that shallow of water you should be able to get to shore.
a little trick the hardcore speck guys use here, quite effective, is to set up a big 6" minnow on a bearpaw off your main line, or on a hook tied with a palomar knot.
1.5 ft below that, tie on an octopus or circle hook and on that use a strip of fresh liver, 4"L x 1/2"W, wacky rigged (in the middle).
youg big minnow will be swimming or dancing above, causing the liver to dance and gyrate ON THE BOTTOM, which emulates a big leech.
Great combo, proven effective.
Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.