Author Topic: buddy heater propane filter  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
buddy heater propane filter
« on: Dec 25, 2004, 12:51 PM »
If you are using a bulk propane tank connected to the buddy heater with a hose, it’s a good idea to put on a propane filter. If you are using a one-pound tank, then you don’t need the filter. It’s also good idea to have a spare pilot assembly and a regulator on hand too. These parts don’t cost much. The propane filter sells for about 8 dollars. I can’t find the filter in the buffalo area. I know were I can get one but I can’t see paying 7 dollars for shipping. You figure these places that sell the buddy heater accessories would have the filter too. Get yourself a filter now or you are going to have a problem too with you heater. My heater is waiting for parts.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: buddy heater propane filter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2004, 05:32 PM »
Mine clogs up on me regularly, even with the premium 1lb cylinders, i just always have a small can of compressed air with me.

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:43 AM »
I have had my heater now for 3 yrs and this is the first time I had a problem with it. The pilot was plug with oil, and the regulator is plugged too. I cleaned out the pilot. That did not solve the problem. It will lite and run for about 10 minutes and shut down. The regulator collects the oil from the propane tank and reduces the pressure. By putting on a filter this should solve the problem with the buddy heater. The company recommends the filter if you are using the 20lb tank. I’m using the 5 lb tank.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200310651&R=200310651
http://www.heatershop.com/conversion_kit_fuel_filter.html

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2004, 10:07 AM »
I have had my heater now for 3 yrs and this is the first time I had a problem with it. The pilot was plug with oil, and the regulator is plugged too. I cleaned out the pilot. That did not solve the problem. It will lite and run for about 10 minutes and shut down. The regulator collects the oil from the propane tank and reduces the pressure. By putting on a filter this should solve the problem with the buddy heater. The company recommends the filter if you are using the 20lb tank. I’m using the 5 lb tank.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200310651&R=200310651
http://www.heatershop.com/conversion_kit_fuel_filter.html

Great tip Ray.  Thanks ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2004, 12:32 PM »
Another thing that will work is not running the tank you are using completly empty.  The oil in the propane is heavier than the propane liquid and collects at the bottom of the tank you are using.  Buy the disposable 1# tanks.  Not very costly and easy to replace.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2004, 01:55 PM »
Here what the company recommended me to do with the heater

Ray,

If you're using a remote tank and hose, I would definitely recommend using
the filter.  If you shut off the heater prior to shutting off the tank, you
trap about 110 psi of propane in the hose.  This propane, under pressure,
will cause the hose to release an oily material.  This material gets inside
the heater and will eventually affect its operation.  It sounds like you may
already have the oil inside the heater.

You should remove the black plastic left side end cap.  Remove the
thermocouple from the bottom of the control valve.  Remove the machined
brass cap (where the thermocouple was attached) from the bottom of the
control valve.  Remove the white plastic cylinder from inside the control
valve.  Inspect the cylinder for any oil buildup.  If the is oil inside the
cylinder, you should replace the control valve and blow out all of the lines
in the heater.

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2004, 02:08 PM »
Cabelas has the filters in stock. Mine came in today. nice little filter.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2005, 05:15 PM »
Cabelas has the filters in stock. Mine came in today. nice little filter.

Ray,

I just picked mine up at Gander Mountain.

Thanks again for the Tip..............the last thing I want is have the heater crap out when I'm miles from the truck. ;)

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2005, 08:09 PM »
Does anyone know if the regulator is kaput if it stops working due to this? Can it be kleened or do you just replace it?

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2005, 01:37 PM »
You can’t fix a regulator. You need a new one. They cost 5.95. the oil from the tank plugs the regulator up.

wrk2fish

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2005, 09:45 AM »
I just purchased a Buddy heater and they mentioned this in the manual.  At first I thought that they were using this as a scare tactic to get people to buy their hose.  Because I have used a 20lb tank and hose on my Coleman camping gear without any issues. This has answered my question and I will get their hose.

Jeff J

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2005, 07:28 PM »
I've had the big buddy for a week now used it 3 maybe 4 times without the filter. it's already begun to go out every 10 minutes. after reading this I'm wondering if mine is already clogged?
is there a local store that sells these filters or is snail mail the only way?
BAGINWAL??? WHERE IS GANDER MOUNTAIN
HOPEFULLY YOU'LL SAY IN THE LAKES REGINE
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a ride!" (author unknown)

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:47 PM »
I've had the big buddy for a week now used it 3 maybe 4 times without the filter. it's already begun to go out every 10 minutes. after reading this I'm wondering if mine is already clogged?
is there a local store that sells these filters or is snail mail the only way?
BAGINWAL??? WHERE IS GANDER MOUNTAIN
HOPEFULLY YOU'LL SAY IN THE LAKES REGINE

Iceshantyman:  The following link lists all the Gander Mountain stores in the U.S. 

http://www.gandermountain.com/storelocator/

I picked up mine at the Cicero, NY store (right of I-81).

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2005, 11:11 PM »
thanks baginwal but there no where near by. can something like that be found at a hardware store that specializes in grills?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a ride!" (author unknown)

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2005, 01:49 PM »
thanks baginwal but there no where near by. can something like that be found at a hardware store that specializes in grills?

Not sure about hadware stores carrying it (maybe?).  You can order it directly from:  http://www.mrheater.com/ordernew.asp   The bad news is they charge $9.95 for it (I think this includes postage).

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2005, 01:55 PM »
BAGINWAL

where on the mr heater site did you see that?

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2005, 02:02 PM »
BAGINWAL

where on the mr heater site did you see that?
[/quote

The URL I listed should bring you right to it.  Scroll down, it's the last item on the page.  If you are having problems getting on let me know and I will email you the part#

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2005, 01:47 PM »
I called about 50 stores in my area and nobody had them. It’s a new product. Next year all the stores might carry the filter. cabelas has the filter in stock, or check with the buddy heater company.

Offline IceShantyMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2005, 09:40 AM »
you are correct it does cost $9.95 including postage but it's ultra slow snail mail 7-10 days. I got my local bait shop to order a bunch of them for there heaters the'll be in thursday.
martels sport shop in laconia, nh.
mar t

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.