The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: leaving fish on ice  (Read 7195 times)

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
leaving fish on ice
« on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:17 AM »
So went fishing at the Sandbar State Park friday morning, and when got there after getting bait there was already a vehicle already there. I noticed it to be a greyish or tan pickup with Sure Strike fishing charters on the side. There was 2 guys already on the ice, one was heavy set. We jigged for perch near the swamp but didn't have much luck. We worked our way out to the drop off where we would only pick up one here and there. After giving it a couple hours we made our way back to shore. As we got closer we noticed piles of little perch everywhere around a bunch of 6 inch holes. well over 100 of little dink perch. I took pictures with my cell phone because I couldn't believe that someone would waste all these perch. I hate to point the finger, but was pretty obvious that the group fishing out of Sure Strike fishing charters decided to dump the perch rather then take them. I don't understand why a person involved with a reputable business would do something like this. As for I wasn't the only person to witness this, it sure has turned me off from ever using this business. Has anyone dealt with this company before? And it being just perch it probably shouldn't be a big deal, as the seagulls and other birds had a good meal, just seems to me as a waste.

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: leaving fish on ice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Sounds like wanton waste to me, 3 years revoked license.  You should turn them in, if they have that kind of disregard for perch, chances are they are breaking other laws too.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:06 AM »
F&G should be made aware. Those fish not only grow up to become bigger perch and eventually breaded and fried, but the little ones also feed larger gamefish.

I've never understood fishermen throwing away their catch instead of either taking it home and enjoying it, or releasing it.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:28 AM »
there was a post on ice shanty new york last year on this and new one this year on people catching pickeral and  throwing them on the ice and leaving them there. regardless the species it is illegal. thanks for posting this and making more fisherman aware of this since it is all of our fish.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:13 AM »
I think myself and several others know who the people are that you are referring to. it surprises me very much that they would do this. my only guess is that the fish were very wormy???  go figure.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Should have turned them in.  Especially if the fish hadn't even froze yet.  Even if they couldn't get them for it just to let them know people are watching them.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:31 AM »
Sounds like this is a common thing among so called "trash fisherman". Not sure what to refer to them as but I won't put them in the same category as true sportsmen/sportswomen. Here in MI I've seen this done with perch, bluegills, and a few rockbass. I just don't get it. They probably think that the fish will never grow to keeper size, the fish will bite again, if they release it it will scare off the school. If you don't like catching dinks there's a simple solution. Either move and find the bigger fish or fish a different lake.

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2016, 12:14 PM »
I think myself and several others know who the people are that you are referring to. it surprises me very much that they would do this. my only guess is that the fish were very wormy???  go figure.

This surprises me also! I think leaving fish on th ice is just plan wrong, but the weird thing is a went on a charter with them with my friend. They seemed like good people, and people me on the lake trout. weird....

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2016, 07:08 PM »
Whatever reptilian primal drive possessed these troglodites to waste such life is probably the same drive that makes poachers shoot deer at night and leave them there... Namely, a sick desire to senselessly kill... makes them feel big and strong. If only Daddy had hugged them growing up...

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I saw the result of the same thing on Joes Pond last winter except these were nice keeper size yellow perch scattered around on top of the ice. I talked to one of the regular shanty dwellers asking what was up with this. He also was very annoyed and indicated that it was a group of trout fishermen that frequent the pond and get sick of losing their bait to the pesky perch. What a shame. I've never seen someone doing this but am glad I now have a smart phone so I can force the issue if it ever arises.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2016, 08:38 PM »
it was a group of trout fishermen that frequent the pond and get sick of losing their bait to the pesky perch.

So they're too good to take the perch home and eat them? Sure, trout are wonderful, but perch are wonderful too.

Randy

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Uneducated = Unethical     :(
If they had known the true value of those fish to the ecosystem, then maybe they would have acted like true sportsmen and put them back down the hole.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2016, 08:53 PM »
So they're too good to take the perch home and eat them? Sure, trout are wonderful, but perch are wonderful too.
I think perch are even better. I actually scavenged a couple of the larger perch that had been left behind since they were still in very good shape.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:16 PM »
Don't those guys buy large amounts of perch or am I mistaken?

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:19 PM »
I don't even throw alewife on the ice. They aren't bad fried- hopefully that catches on so people will fish that species back into local extinction.

Randy

Offline buckshot21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:40 AM »
I'm still waiting to see the picture of the 100 fish.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:50 AM »
this  is no doubt a nasty wasteful thing to do,but shooting pickerel in the spring bothers me even more,lots of people leave them on the bank to rot  or make no effort to retrieve them,Pike are a great game fish and taste wonderful too

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:29 AM »
that is why bow fishing never thrilled me that much. waste of fish not much of a challenge. didnt see much point to it. Dont know to many people that want a carp or a gar.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:34 AM »
that is why bow fishing never thrilled me that much. waste of fish not much of a challenge. didnt see much point to it. Dont know to many people that want a carp or a gar.

Do Chinese restaurants have any interest in carp or gar?

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:59 AM »
they used to take carp, not any more.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Gar isn't that much different from pike or pickerel really. Carp takes a bit of prep, but it can be good. You need to brine it with a milk/brine mix overnight to soften the taste a bit. There is an extra row of y-bones that you'll need to work around as well. Unlike bowfin, which I have never found a way to make edible, carp can be pretty good with a little effort.

Gar are a lot of fun to go after with a fly rod and either streamer flies or soft plastics. They're in very shallow water and very easy to spook, making them one of the more challenging fish to target, IMO.

I've only done it a couple of times way back in my teens, but I'm not really against the sport of shooting fish as long as those who engage in it are using what they kill.

It's waste that ticks me off. If you're going to kill it, take it home and eat it.

Randy

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2016, 09:39 AM »
they are on facebook if you want to send them a message

Offline Honest_John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:30 PM »
I would like to hear what the gentlemen being accused of wanton waste have to say in defense. I know that those guys are big supporters of clean water / healthy fishery. Will someone that knows them ask him whats up?

Offline buckshot21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:33 PM »
I still would like to see the pictures of the over 100 perch on the ice. I'm suspecting that was stretching the truth quite a bit. I guess pictures would prove it.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 07, 2016, 01:10 PM »
I still would like to see the pictures of the over 100 perch on the ice. I'm suspecting that was stretching the truth quite a bit. I guess pictures would prove it.

100, 50, 10......same difference. Killing fish for no reason is still killing fish for no reason.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2016, 01:35 PM »
yeah, its an issue in NY too.   Oh boy, am I waiting for the day to catch someone in the act doing it.     Just ask the guys I caught trying to keep crappie in a C&R water body.

Offline Meetwood flac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 07, 2016, 02:51 PM »
I wasn't there to witness, but I heard someone was leaving pickerel on the ice at Joe's pond yesterday. I'm new to ice fishing, so I wonder how often this occurs.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2016, 02:58 PM »
saw it myself on the ice this year too. guy caught what appeared to be a lake trout while perch fishing. called his friends over to celebrate and take a pic of him with it. then he threw it end for end in the air and across the ice for the birds to pick at. 10 or more people saw this.

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Well one would think those two from Sure Strike Fishing Charters
Would want to be more care full of their behavior.
If they are going to show their name.and break the
Law.all this bad press certainly isn't good for business.

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2016, 03:02 PM »
saw it myself on the ice this year too. guy caught what appeared to be a lake trout while perch fishing. called his friends over to celebrate and take a pic of him with it. then he threw it end for end in the air and across the ice for the birds to pick at. 10 or more people saw this.
As foul eating as they are I would have put it back down the hole.
Surprised the dump chickens would even eat it...lol.. ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.