Author Topic: Hole hopping with flasher  (Read 2142 times)

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
Hole hopping with flasher
« on: Feb 20, 2020, 05:32 AM »
How many hole  hop with their flasher left on?  I read somewhere that going from hole to hole and checking depth/ fish can shorten the life of the motor if left on. Is it better to turn it off and when traveling to different spots and then back on when you arrive?  Not sure why it would matter but curious if there is any truth to this.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hole hopping with flasher
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2020, 06:04 AM »
I would think the constant on and off will shorten the life more than leaving it on

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2020, 06:09 AM »
Hole hopped for years with a vexilar and  have yet to wear a unit out.  If you had to turn it on and off I would slow the process of hole hoping.  If I am moving with the snow machine then I shut it off.  I am not familiar with other flashers to know if it causes problems with them.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2020, 06:47 AM »
Back in the day I used to walk around with a Humminbird 55 turned on when checking holes, that worked fine until it quit.  The people at the repair facility said that I had probably damaged the gyro in the unit by jostling it around with it turned on and recommended shutting it off when changing holes. After getting it back from repair, I still walked around with it, but was careful to keep it upright with no quick movements.  That flasher was still working fine when I got rid of it several years later. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2020, 06:50 AM »
Turn it on when you hit the ice. Turn it off when you come off. Flasher, graph, no matter. If I'm in the boat it's the same deal - always on. Never wore one out yet.

Back in the day I used to walk around with a Humminbird 55 turned on when checking holes, that worked fine until it quit.  The people at the repair facility said that I had probably damaged the gyro in the unit by jostling it around with it turned on and recommended shutting it off when changing holes. After getting it back from repair, I still walked around with it, but was careful to keep it upright with no quick movements.  That flasher was still working fine when I got rid of it several years later. 

Though, on reading this, actually makes sense as far as flashers with a rotating wheel goes.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2020, 06:52 AM »
If im hopping in a area that i cut 15 holes i leave my vexilars on.if im moving out of the area and headed to a different part of the lake i will turn it off.never had a flasher fail from leaving it on.i figure its like a house fan.ive got some that have been running for 5 years straight without turning them off but as soon as i start turning them on and off they die.lol jmo

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2020, 06:59 AM »
Hole hopped for years with a vexilar and  have yet to wear a unit out.  If you had to turn it on and off I would slow the process of hole hoping.  If I am moving with the snow machine then I shut it off.  I am not familiar with other flashers to know if it causes problems with them.

I have been doing the same thing with a Marcum VX-1 for 13+ years now, no problems. I still have the original battery also!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:27 AM »
i never turned off my older vexilar, would just let the motor hum away.

Never had an issue. Like ESOX said, I turn it on when I hit the ice, turn it off when i leave.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:55 AM »
If I am hopping from holes that are about 15' apart I am not shutting my flasher down.  If I am moving to another part of the lake, or really far off, then I will shut it down. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:10 AM »
Leave my FL18 on from the first hole till pack up ..unless I run out of power ..like what happened the other night with my lithium battery..for the record 40 plus hours on a 12ah Amped Outdoors battery ..Thought my Vexilar was in need of repair ..nope some quick Email responses from Amped Outdoors and Vexilar concerning the DD-100(digital depth and battery percentage gauge ) . Lithium's just stop ..I knew that ..but what I did not know is the DD-100 is not capable of giving a accurate battery percentage reading ..apparently they will run at 100% for some time then drop down to 80% for some time and then without warning ..no more juice . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:25 AM »
Leave my FL18 on from the first hole till pack up ..unless I run out of power ..like what happened the other night with my lithium battery..for the record 40 plus hours on a 12ah Amped Outdoors battery ..Thought my Vexilar was in need of repair ..nope some quick Email responses from Amped Outdoors and Vexilar concerning the DD-100(digital depth and battery percentage gauge ) . Lithium's just stop ..I knew that ..but what I did not know is the DD-100 is not capable of giving a accurate battery percentage reading ..apparently they will run at 100% for some time then drop down to 80% for some time and then without warning ..no more juice .
hmm ive got 60 hrs on my dakota 10ah lithium.still reads 13.3 volts on my flx28.thought i was hearing over 60 hrs on the amped 12ah on a vexilar.weather depending i guess but i was getting 30+ on a  9ah battery.i have my amped 12ah in my garmin striker 5 and got 2 full days out of it.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:31 AM »
It may have been more then 40 ..not recalling how many times I have used it/ran it ..I also recalled that I had charged it too after a ice outing  ..but now really thinking on it I did not ..it was my other lithium battery.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:35 AM »
Never ever turned my flasher off hole hopping.  Never had issues but I would suspect most people don't turn their units off.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Glad you folks chimed in! Read the post and thought oh no been doing something wrong all these years! If I know where I am going to be fishing I drill my holes and then go back to the first and then the unit gets turned on go from hole to hole till I find the one to fish. Never had any issues. The only thing I worry about is some how damaging the cord.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Most Electronics do better left on. The power surge that happens when you power up electronics is one of the most destructive things you can do. Power Supplies do not like off n on off n on over and over. Now the older flasher with mechanical aspects to them, I could kinda see turning them off, but with all the old timers on here still using their old flashers with more than 10 15 even 20years on them.... well it does not seem to be a problem then. 
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2020, 10:48 AM »
If you are traveling some distance between holes, maybe but if you can walk to each then definitely NO, leave it on.

It's like turning a light off and on just because you went to another room for a minute, or like turning your car off when stuck in traffic....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Turn it on when I start and off when I'm finished.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2020, 12:30 PM »
If you are traveling some distance between holes, maybe but if you can walk to each then definitely NO, leave it on.

It's like turning a light off and on just because you went to another room for a minute, or like turning your car off when stuck in traffic....

My brand new vehicle is designed to do this (shut's itself on and restarts itself)  on it's own.  Happens every time I'm sitting at a traffic light.  Saves me the trouble of reaching for the key.

I suppose a sensor could be designed into any sonar unit, which would put the unit in standby mode, any time the transducer is out of the water.  Kind of surprised this hasn't been done already.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2020, 12:59 PM »
My brand new vehicle is designed to do this (shut's itself on and restarts itself)  on it's own.  Happens every time I'm sitting at a traffic light.  Saves me the trouble of reaching for the key.

I suppose a sensor could be designed into any sonar unit, which would put the unit in standby mode, any time the transducer is out of the water.  Kind of surprised this hasn't been done already.
LOL first couple of times I was next to a vehicle that did that I thought why are they turning the car off! Then I got a loaner and freaked out when it happened!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2020, 01:25 PM »
Honestly, it has never even crossed my mind to turn it off between holes. If a 3,4,5, 900 dollar machine can’t handle being moved 10 feet when it’s powered on I begin to question the integrity of the machine as a whole. The only thing I’m careful of is to not slam the ducer down onto the ice or break through skim ice with it.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Honestly, it has never even crossed my mind to turn it off between holes. If a 3,4,5, 900 dollar machine can’t handle being moved 10 feet when it’s powered on I begin to question the integrity of the machine as a whole. The only thing I’m careful of is to not slam the ducer down onto the ice or break through skim ice with it.
Careful not to slam the ducer down on the ice! The few ice fishing videos I have watched the guys pull the ducer out of the hole and toss it to the side! I myself pull it out of the hole and set it on a towel. Can’t understand how their ducers don’t get damaged!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2020, 03:08 PM »
I like watching the TV ice fishing shows when a guy is bringing a fish up to the hole and someone else walks up, grabs his flasher and tosses it about four feet from the hole. Maybe their sponsor gives them to them for free.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2020, 03:17 PM »
I like watching the TV ice fishing shows when a guy is bringing a fish up to the hole and someone else walks up, grabs his flasher and tosses it about four feet from the hole. Maybe their sponsor gives them to them for free.
That was what I was thinking cause they don’t look like they care about them!
Keep it safe! JDL

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2020, 04:56 PM »

Supposedly some of the refurbished/reconditioned unit are from the pro staff  ;)2

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Let the vex run!!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:21 PM »
I’ve always done it for years never ever had an issue. My opinion but I’d think it would be harder on it turning it on & off all the time.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:34 PM »
 I have a Marcum Showdown, have never shut it off when hole hopping, only when moving to different locations on the lake or leaving the ice. I've had the unit since the first year they came on the market no issues, same battery.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:02 AM »
Depends on what depth of water i am fishing. Whether or not i even use my flasher while hole hopping. Deeper water yes i leave it on. Shallow water of say 4 to 8 feet. I do not even use the flasher. Since in this case i am chasing Crappie. I use a long rod 48-50 inches in length with a set amount of line out. Drill out my grid and start fishing. A couple of minutes at each hole. Until i catch a fish. Then i will fish that hole a little more. Then move on to the next. This method of fishing Crappies has put a lot of them top side.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:14 AM »

That's a shame. The pros should know that the proper technique is to safely stow the ducer and then chuck the unit 4 feet away, but for God's sake make sure not to turn it off first. ;D
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.