New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Dick's considers removing hunting gear all together  (Read 4896 times)

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
Dick's considers removing hunting gear all together
« on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:25 PM »
I haven't shopped there in a few years and wouldn't in the future.  More reasons not to now.  May they drown in golf clubs and over priced harbor freight quality clothes. 
http://fortune.com/2018/12/01/dicks-sporting-goods-removing-hunting-gear/
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
Re: Dick's considers removing hunting gear all together
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Would not be surprised if they transition all hunting/fishing to the field and stream branded stores. Have had actually had very good luck at F&S since gander closed and cabelas was bought out.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2018, 03:29 AM »
Dicks never has anything I ever need.  Especially when it comes to fishing supplies. You can buy any crazy umbrella rig and $14 suicide duck you want.. I even think they had some floating plastic rats and bats with hooks in them that were supposed to be real fishing lures.. But God forbid they have a decent selection of spoons or stick baits or a jig head over a 1/2 oz or anything else you may possibly need for the fingerlakes. Just a bunch of gimmicky lures and rubber worms. I've written them and talked to managers but their selection just gets worse and worse. Problem is in Syracuse there is nowhere to buy fishing gear besides dicks and herb philipsons. Wal-Mart has a better selection in one aisle than an entire dicks store. You have to drive all the way to bass pro in auburn or Utica if you need anything. Good thing I'm not in Syracuse anymore and work in auburn. Makes life way easier.. Now I just need to find somewhere in auburn to buy live bait. Any suggestions?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2018, 04:24 AM »
Would not be surprised if they transition all hunting/fishing to the field and stream branded stores. Have had actually had very good luck at F&S since gander closed and cabelas was bought out.

I had heard that F&S and DSG are kinda' one and the same now...one bought out/merged with the other...is that right  ???
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Dicks never has anything I ever need.  Especially when it comes to fishing

Exactly.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:50 AM »
Field and stream is a subsidiary of Dicks , along with a few others ,
  The Dicks near me back in the day was a decent store , now the fishing department is out classed my mom and pop stores in my area ,  , if you need kayaks and workout equipment plus sports clothes, that’s the place , the F&Sstore is well stocked but is 2.5 hrs away ,
  IMO on the gun issue they are bowing to the public cry for more gun control and their sales have dropped way off

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Since they hired 3 antigun lobbiests , I haven't spent a dime there . I'll drive the extra half hour to Cabela's .  Their merchandise is way to overpriced anyway .

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:01 AM »
I had heard that F&S and DSG are kinda' one and the same now...one bought out/merged with the other...is that right  ???

Yes same company, the Latham store(s) are side by side with common registers in the center. The F&S side has a pretty good selection of outdoors gear while the Dicks side is all athletic gear/team sports/bikes/golf etc. Still not a full size cabelas or BP but well worth a look in the capital district.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Stelladog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:27 AM »
In the Syracuse area we are fortunate to have a Runnings which has a great hunting and fishing dept.  Briefly stopped at Dicks for something last week and laughed at their ice fishing display.  Was also disappointed that Herb Philsons looks like it is going under - they also used to have a solid ice fishing dept. 

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:32 AM »
Yes same company, the Latham store(s) are side by side with common registers in the center. The F&S side has a pretty good selection of outdoors gear while the Dicks side is all athletic gear/team sports/bikes/golf etc. Still not a full size cabelas or BP but well worth a look in the capital district.
same here. won't set foot in one now.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:47 AM »

X2 stelladog on runnings it a well rounded store , hunting , fishing , tools ,, lawn care , and more

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:38 AM »
herb philipsons closed in Oswego that sucks for me

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Runnings has everything a man could possibly want.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:51 PM »
 Dick's has allways been a joke unless you want golf clubs or foot ball shirts
 Herbs has been going down hill for a while and it's not worth my time any more
 I'm not sure about the new Gander store yet, haven't been there
 Runnings is well stocked but the prices are painfull  (too bad)
  Fish 307 in Lk George is the place for me   well stocked,  store employees are helpful and know what they're doing, prices are what you'd expect to pay
   Don't ever forget about you're local mom & pop bait store  they want to make a living too   If you don't give them a little business they might not be there when you need some spikes      just sayin

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:57 PM »
I got a smoking good deal on my cross bow from dicks and when it was so hard to get 22 shells  dicks kept me in stock , do they have everything no but I sure would hate to lose any store that sells guns and ammo not to mention dicks has supported  the carpenters brook fish hatchery  .....

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Yea trapp herb phillipsons closed in Newark too....one of the associates said one of the managers was going to buy that store...haven't seen it yet..is totally closed now.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Can't stand that store. Nothing but polyester leggings and shrink wrap "under armor" and "performance" underwear and other lightweight bullsh*t made in China they can pack onto cargo containers for high profit margins. In the fishing section you can count on aisles and aisles and rows and rows of garbage and the few things actually in high demand (8lb fluorocarbon in summer, or 2lb fluoro ice line in winter, etc) will be out of stock. All the best patterns of lures are out of stock, the most important size hooks are out of stock, the key weight sizes, etc. It's a joke.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Neil McCauley  stop beatting around the bush and tell us  how you really feel ...... :roflmao:

Offline Liljiggerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2018, 11:40 PM »
Runnings has a great selection and I stopped at gander about a week ago and was impressed by what they had for ice gear and was told by an employee that they only had about half of their ice fishing gear out so I’ll have to stop by again in a few weeks to see the full selection

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01:24 AM »
We used to joke about the "Dicks Tackle Box" which is someone fishing, using a plastic bag from dicks as their tackle box.  Usually easily spot those types around opening day of trout season.

Offline Erie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I’ve got an Erie Feeling
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2018, 05:44 AM »
That would be a shame.
The original Legend of Lake Erie
Guns, God, Whiskey - the way America was made.
Build that wall! Build that wall! Build that wall!

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:11 AM »
They are probably only doing this in stores where they don't sell a lot of that stuff anyways...
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2018, 02:52 PM »
The new dicks in Latham is pretty good if you stock up early. Last year I got a ton of jigs marked for 5 cents but the correct price was $5.00 each. Me and this old guy cleared the self before they could remove the wrong price lol. I mostly buy off amazon.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:09 PM »
The story I read referenced a 10-store trial (labeled as 'under-performing' stores, with respect to the sale of hunting gear) and a determination would be made at a later date about the multitudes of other DSG stores.  As a retailer, if the gear doesn't sell in specific geographic locations, and it operates at a net loss, time to trim the fat. 
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Dicks, Walmart, LL Bean,  the list keeps growing of places that will never get another dime from me!

Offline fisherbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:19 PM »
They will go bankrupt soon too.... Their golf stuff is 100% overpriced.....fishing stuff 200% over priced.....selling name brand products only that you can find online or at mom and pop shops for the same price or cheaper.... they'll sell field and stream to cabelas/bass pro and go the way of craftsman and sears.....  Cabelas offering free shipping on all orders over $50 which Bass Pro has been doing for years..... why go and deal with people that don't know anything about the product compared to the guys on here.... click and let UPS deliver 3 days later!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Most all of them sporting goods box stores started as catalog stores, like JC penny.  They expanded and gained popularity then their retail stores suck and die a slow death.
I don't like any of the above mentioned.
I've always tried to support the local guy trying to make a living . Will say that with the advancement of the the internet,  it has helped on both sides .
Most anything I can't find local , I can online from a independent owned shop.
That's how I spend my money on most sporting goods.

Of course a firearm such as gun is a different situation and again all the above mentioned stores are a joke with no knowledge,  just another gun on the shelf.
I'll search out a local gun shop

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:03 PM »
locale gun shops are generally a lot more expensive... remember the guy that works behind the counter at bass pro  is just trying to make a living too.... your never going to have the  selection and availability or price at a small  shop ..... I like to check out both then make the decession....but that's just me

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:28 AM »

Far as craftsman,  Lowe’s carries them now and noticed a lot less kobalt products the other day

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:42 AM »
I have two Dicks stores near me, one in Ithaca near Cayuga lake and the other is in Horseheads (Elmira). The Horseheads store also has a big Field & Stream just down the road and I work at the airport about a mile away from them. All three stores usually have a pretty decent stock of fishing and ice fishing gear but for hunting stuff its F & S all the way. F & S had the biggest selection of ice gear but the Dicks down the road seems to carry a few different things. An example is that Dicks has the Eskimo Fatfish 949i in stock but F & S has mostly Shappell and bigger Eskimo shelters on the floor. The Ithaca store has a better selection of open water gear and boat stuff since it is right near a lake that doesn't get ice fished much on the southern end. I hope they all keep carrying what they have been
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.