Author Topic: Can you use a Big Buddy Heater For Sleeping?  (Read 13240 times)

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can you use a Big Buddy Heater For Sleeping?
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:22 AM »
I have a 7x14 camper with a heating problem.  I currently use a wood stove to heat this camper which is not very well insulated.  It works great but the problem is its very small so when you go to sleep you wake up freezing.  I have a sunflower heater but i dont want to sleep with that on.  Can i use a big buddy heater for sleeping?  I mean is it safe?  I have a CO2 detector in the shack and plenty of windows i could crack and i know those units have an auto shutoff feature on them.  I just dont want to have to buy a vented heater as they start out at 400$ minimum

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Can you use a Big Buddy Heater For Sleeping?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:43 AM »
Yes you can use the Big Buddy to heat you overnight. I have done it, it is more safe than the sunflower.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:45 AM »
I have a 7x14 camper with a heating problem.  I currently use a wood stove to heat this camper which is not very well insulated.  It works great but the problem is its very small so when you go to sleep you wake up freezing.  I have a sunflower heater but i dont want to sleep with that on.  Can i use a big buddy heater for sleeping?  I mean is it safe?  I have a CO2 detector in the shack and plenty of windows i could crack and i know those units have an auto shutoff feature on them.  I just dont want to have to buy a vented heater as they start out at 400$ minimum
yes you can i use mine in my tent went i sleep on the ice you should be fine

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:54 AM »
It has a low O2 sensor too, but like you said you have a sensor also  I have been happy with my big buddy heater no fumes and heats nice
Gator Nation

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:11 AM »
heat away, you will be fine.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:19 AM »
I would be very careful.  The heater needs oxygen to burn also.  Be sure you have enough oxygen for both you and your heater.  I know it sounds dumb, but you might want to crack open a small window to let some fresh air in. Be careful.  We need good ice fishermen like you and don't have time to go to services for people that didn't wake up. ;)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:52 AM »
You should have no problems, but as stated i would get some fresh air to it or it will go out due to insuffient oxygen. We have 2-3ft sections of 2in pvc that we stick under the walls in our pop-ups and place it right in front of the heater. Burns all nite long
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Should be no different than fishing in a shack with it for 8 hours during the day..

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:41 PM »
I definitely lean more toward safety and conservative, so if you are going to do it since you have no clue if your low o2 sensor works is bring a couple portable Carbon Monoxide Detectors with you.  Cheap insurance.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Heck ya it works great I have a couple and when needed I'll turn on on in my camper to warm it up.
No one left behind.     

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:26 AM »
We have used ours for many many over nights But I would run a Carbon Monoxide Detector and crack a window/vent  just a bit too just to be safe. 

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:46 AM »
How long do you plan on using the buddy heater ?
Hard Ice

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:24 AM »
I wouldn't. I had a friend whose buddy caught fire and burned up. The sensor melted and the heater didn't turn off.

I am sure if this post was " Do Buddy Heaters ever catch fire? " Everyone would say no. I personally have no desire to sleep with one. YMMV

WS

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:35 AM »
As stated by others, not without a  good CO detector, I wouldn't. Buddy heater's have a low-oxygen shut-off, which is NOT the same thing!!! They will NOT detect high CO levels. CO levels can still build up to dangerous levels, and if you're asleep, you may never wake up. In addition, you need to provide some ventilation for fresh air circulation. Be safe and use a CO detector!!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:08 PM »
I think the important word is a "GOOD" CO detector. There is a thread here about how bad some of them are AND the fact that you have to becareful  if they are more than a FEW years old!  I belong to a landlords group and find this fact is being realized by different state agencies and I wouldn't be surprised if we will be mandated to change CO detectors every few years soon.

When you think how much is at stake, I would use a relatively new one or perhaps two,..one near floor level. Do crack a window/door a bit to make sure you have some O2 coming in.
BTW I have a workshed that is insulated and very tight. I sometime heat it with the Buddy,..if I run it and don't get back for a while,..it DOES shut off,..BUT man,..you feel like you are suffocating in you go in rt away because of the lack of O2.   I guess you might wake up before that with heavy breathing but I have known people that are  incredibly sound sleepers. had a roomate in college that you cold pour cold water over his head and shake him and he often wouldn't wake or he would just turn over, and then get argry because he missed classes and "No one woke him up" ,..I think a guy like him would be in tough shape in a O2 starved room. But then again,,I had a brother in law that couldn't have a wood or similar stove  because he knew any smoke detector would never wake him,..I guess you have to know yourself,..
Personally I'm a very light sleeper,..

As said before,..the low O2 feature is good , perhaps the best feature around  on small fuel heaters ,..but I wouldn't my life or yours on it,...anything can fail,..I would take extra precautions,.(I would sleep better having 2-4 fail safes, 2 GOOD CO detectors and a cracked window)

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:56 PM »
do it all the time in my eskimo 9416 window crack just a little ventilation will help been doing it for about 7 years im still here

Offline fish413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:53 PM »
Yes!  You can use your Buddy heater to heat you up over night. It has a built in low oxegen sensor that will turn off the heater if it detects any gas.  It will also turn off if it gets tipped over.  Just make shure that you have a window cracked!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:25 PM »
Another option is to get a better sleeping bag.  Having an insulated pad under you is very important.  Change into dry bed clothing b4 going to sleep.  Wool socks on the feet, a track suit and wool gloves is a good combination. Wear a balaclava to keep the face warm and don't put you head inside the sleeping bag.  The moisture from your breath makes the bag wet and then there is no insulation.  You can keep warm without having a heater going.

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:19 PM »
I heard a while back a couple of college girls used a kerosene heater inside their dorm room and died.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Another option is to get a better sleeping bag.  Having an insulated pad under you is very important.  Change into dry bed clothing b4 going to sleep.  Wool socks on the feet, a track suit and wool gloves is a good combination. Wear a balaclava to keep the face warm and don't put you head inside the sleeping bag.  The moisture from your breath makes the bag wet and then there is no insulation.  You can keep warm without having a heater going.

X2 to everything this fisherman has said! You must be an experienced winter camper, as am I. A mummy bag and a very good air matress like a Therm-o-rest (check the good outdoor stores like EMS or REI for them). I camp on the ice, but the heater goes off when I get into the bag and hunker down for the night.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline shsalchemist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:57 AM »
I would never never sleep with one since all combustion reactions produces carbon monoxide.  That said, I have kept warm winter camping with a candle in a glass jar away from us in our quiz here.  Hope this helps.  It's also romantic when you bring your significant other ice fishing and winter camping ;)

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:03 AM »
I wouldn't do this.

While others have had no problems and it is probably safe, you don't want to be the exception, as bad things can and will happen.

If you are going to sleep on the ice, whether it be in a shack or in a pop up with a foam floor, you don't need a heater, you need a sleep system:

In order on the ground/floor

1. Space blanket (optional)
2. Inflatable Winter Mat (Exped 7 or 9)
3. Closed cell foam mat like a Thermarest Z-lite 3/4 pad
4. Winter bag, like a Western Mountaineering Puma

You could buy all the above for the price of one of the new LCD flashers.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:57 PM »
Get your camper heater fixed.  Sure the BH has built in this and that...assuming it doesn't fail you'll be ok, but if it does, well I guess we'll never know.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline wyocenterpin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:49 AM »
something to look at is what elevation you will be using it at.  I read some where in the warnings on a buddy heater that the safety features will not work above 6000 ft.    they might have fixed this problem but its worth looking into

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.