Author Topic: what is this?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
what is this?
« on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:39 AM »

What is that white milky cloudy substance that I see on my camera in some lakes like usually 10 feet to 50ish feet of water what is this? And what causes this

Offline mjs059

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what is this?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:58 PM »
I'm no "rockets" scientist but this may be an indication of where the thermocline (separating of warmer and colder water) is.
Small organisms and debris settle down in the warmer water and become supended and collect on top of the colder denser water. 
Saw a similar effect when diving in Big Shell one summer but the color was more orange in the light we had.
Each lake will have a different signature and it will change over the months and seasons.

Any other opinions ??

Offline jpdck83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:05 PM »
This is just a guess and not a the guaranteed correct answer, but its in my head for some reason, must have read or heard it somewhere.  Anyways, I think its the thermocline, which is the point at which there is a big temp. change in the water.  A cool property of water is that a 4 degrees (celsius) it is most dense, and sinks to the bottom, therefore in the summer the upper layer of water would be warmer, then you would have your thermocline layer, then your bottom layer of 4 degree water.  And it the winter, top layer of ice, cold layer of water, thermocline layer, then bottom of 4 degree water.  Good thing water does this or lakes would freeze bottom up...I think ;)

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Yea it would make sence its usually like I'd say 5 or so feet off bottom. Seems like there Is never any fish below it also. I did see some above it last weekend

Offline rockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Nope   not the thermocline.

Offline rockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Kidding.  I would think the thermocline as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.