Author Topic: Is there any good sized smelts for a good price in SK?  (Read 3413 times)

Offline charski

• IceShanty Rookie
I stopped at every groc store I see for a big bag of smelt. Superstore smelts are to small. Walmarts have no heads or guts. At the gas stations they are a buck a peice or more. Help.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Is there any good sized smelts for a good price in SK?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:00 AM »
The fella i buy mine from was telling me it was a poor year for the salty's and a really poor year for the fresh water smelts as the great lakes are cleaning up due to the zebra muzzels which in turn reduces the amount of feed for the smelts. Claims this is going to create a shortage  in the years to come. Will certainly cause the price to rise.

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:54 AM »
Are you by north battleford

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:33 AM »
You might want to be more specific about where you are, "SK" s a rather large area and you could end up driving quite a distance for smelts lol

Offline charski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Regina, Saskatoon, Yorkton, anywhere in Saskatchewan. I am sure most people are looking for nice smelts at a descent price. Did you find some smelts worth buying in north battleford? If I am passing threw I will check them out if they sound like they are what I am looking for

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:42 AM »
$40 bucks for a box of bulk smelts. Or that's what it was last year. Big box I don't even know how many are in there. battle ford bait and tackel sells them.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Regina, Saskatoon, Yorkton, anywhere in Saskatchewan. I am sure most people are looking for nice smelts at a descent price. Did you find some smelts worth buying in north battleford? If I am passing threw I will check them out if they sound like they are what I am looking for

If you are in Regina, I think Pacific Fresh Fish can not be beat.

Do not buy those sorry excuses for a smelt they are peddling at Wholesale Sports..

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:53 AM »
$40 bucks for a box of bulk smelts. Or that's what it was last year. Big box I don't even know how many are in there. battle ford bait and tackel sells them.

Last time i talked to him he was sold out and felt that he would not be able to source anymore due to the reasons i stated before. Wouldn't hurt to check with Battleford bait as you never know.

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:56 AM »
i bought a box of these smelts two years ago and it lasted two of us all season with A LOT of fishing done. i think it is 10 pounds worth in those boxes. best deal around for the price but i found them to be too small for my liking 5-7 inches only. this year i bought my smelts from fishin hole, good quality and nice big sizes,and cisco from campbells catch out of candle lake. i buy them from a gas station for a buck a piece but they are good quality, nice large size and they seem to catch fish. and stay away from wholesale's smelts because they are rotten or something, can't even remove them from package without them falling apart, they are pure mush and can't even be used. learned the hard way and had to throw out 4 packs, fricken crooks!!

Offline whitecat26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 11:13 PM »
usually buy a bag of mackeral from superstore for about 6 bucks.Usually they're about 6-7 inches,this year they're about 8-9.Almost a little too big for my liking get approx 8 to 10 per bag.
Anyone have any luck with smelts this big?

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:30 AM »
i still catch fish on bigger baits but definately not as many. usually seem catch pike on any size as long as it's there and they are hungry. i've seen two pound pike take a 9-10 inch smelt and i've seen 20+ lb pike take a 1/16 oz. jig and mealworm. generally i do catch more fish with a 6-8 inch smelt than a larger one but when targeting big pike it helps to have that big bait!

Offline Linden16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2011, 02:46 PM »
Believe it or not Canadian Tire In Swift Current has a fridge full of smelts, looks like vacuume packed packs of ten or so..

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2011, 03:14 PM »
usually buy a bag of mackeral from superstore for about 6 bucks.Usually they're about 6-7 inches,this year they're about 8-9.Almost a little too big for my liking get approx 8 to 10 per bag.
Anyone have any luck with smelts this big?

Have you bought theses in Regina this year? I went erlier in the season to get my usual bag of macks but they said they didnt sell them anymore. Ive been buying the portugese sardines from pacific fresh and they are nice.

Cheers

Layne
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline whitecat26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:30 AM »
ya the usual ones I buy are gone too(in saskatoon) .Over Christmas I was in Regina and bought a bag of big ones from the superstore.I think they're macks, only really big, if you were there you probably saw them.

Offline The Spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:35 PM »
My freezer! ha-ha like Silvah said Pacific Fresh Fish. I got mine at the beginning of the year tho. The smallest one in the box was maybe 6" at the least. :tipup:

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:52 PM »
Have you bought theses in Regina this year? I went erlier in the season to get my usual bag of macks but they said they didnt sell them anymore. Ive been buying the portugese sardines from pacific fresh and they are nice.

Cheers

Layne

Hey Layne,
They have some mackerel at the Superstore in Moose Jaw...at least they did on the weekend.
The smelt are small this year, but that seems to be the norm from what I have read.
If you don't mind the drive...the mackerel are here!
Later Days  :tipup:
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Hey Layne,
They have some mackerel at the Superstore in Moose Jaw...at least they did on the weekend.
The smelt are small this year, but that seems to be the norm from what I have read.
If you don't mind the drive...the mackerel are here!
Later Days  :tipup:

If I dont find some bait I like soon I just might have to, thanks for the heads up.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline BCrefugee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:17 AM »
I purchased a bag from super store in moose jaw yesterday I dug through looking for  the best assortment in the bag they had lots of em I asked if they had any other types thats all they had . ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.