Author Topic: Drivable Ice  (Read 4843 times)

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
Drivable Ice
« on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:40 PM »
3/4 ton deisles drive on what, 12" of ice good or 9" eveyone says six for a half ton but i thinking 12" for a deisle???? no one has tried to drive but i been out with sled this weekend and 12" plus now.
ice is good solid black ice with a few pressure cracks here and there

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
Re: Drivable Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:12 PM »

Found this on N. Dak outdoors site
Less than 4 inches – STAY OFF! There is no reason to test the newly formed ice at this time.

4-6 Inches – Ice fishing, foot travel in single-file lines, and small spaced seating on the ice should be safe, presuming the ice is clear and clean.

6-10 Inches – Snowmobiles and ATV’s can travel safely on good ice that is over inches thick.

10-16 Inches – Small cars and pick-ups can begin to venture on to the ice. However, the DNR states that it is best to avoid driving on the ice whenever possible.

16+ Inches – A medium-sized car or mid-size pickup can drive on good clear solid ice.

Some good info there here is a link to the site
  http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/ice_fishing_safety.php

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Ya I donno I would think she be ok but who knows it is a good 12 and I would think everywhere would be also no creeks or anything

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:38 PM »
I wait for more than 12" just to be safe. It really sucks to have that cold swim and try to explain to the insurance why I thought it was ok to drive on a lake!!

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:42 PM »
heard a truck went through Breiux not long ago! we were there yesterday and a guy drove on straight towards a gray patch of ice with a big crack running through the middle of it, i waved him down and when they got out they were standing in slushy, watery snow ready to unload and start fishing! i advised them that when it's -30 and they are standing in slush water its probably not a good thing especially early season, and to move the truck if they didn't wanna swim. they drove out no problem and then to safer grounds unloaded then parked the truck on shore.glad we didn't have to witness anything scary  :o the ice i was on was 11 inches, i think the ice would be good enough to drive on as i watched them and saw other truck tracks on the lake but with a year like we've had with so much water and run off and is still running we gotta be careful now and all year! watch for the grey areas, any spot with reputable springs and creek mouths. Safe Fishing!!  P.S anyone netting on LL this past weekend? good fishing? ice depths?

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:02 PM »
I had my diesel on the strap a few years ago first ice, was about a foot thick. Lots of trucks out that day on the ice so i ventured on. I drove on at the north end and headed to the pumphouse on the west side north of the causeway. My friend and i were very skeptical. As we were driving on both sides of the truck the ice was cracking and sort of dropping at the same time very scary :o We did fish but stayed close to shore. SO i would sugest at least 16-18 inches for a diesel. Now we take the chev half ton. I think my diesel is 2000lbs at least heavier then my single cab gas chev.

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:10 PM »
So to add to that might sound lame but would the ice not be thinner at the shore than say one hundred feet out just cause of warm lake bottom? If the lake froze over all at one time tha. Continued to freeze through out winter it should be even right across. It seemed to me that two weeks ago it was thicker in 20 feet of water than in 3 prolly just the area or whatever I donno.

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Depends on the quality of the ice, but it is up to you if you want to test your luck.  There were a couple trucks driving on at Grandview this past Sunday.  They spot drilled all the way along to check thickness, but I won't be driving on until I see a good 45cm of clear, hard ice.
Later Days  :tipup:
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Yah i just stayed close to shore so if i did go threw i would be ok not 25 feet deep and dead.

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:34 PM »
I was fishing on 10inches of ice this weekend and guys were driving there trucks on and I sure wasn't driving my 3/4ton on the ice. I have in the past drove my 3/4ton on 8" of good hard ice and no snow before but not on a place that has moving water like tobin. I wait now till there is 18" of ice on tobin before I drive.

MikeMiller

« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:05 PM »
fastwalleye lmao who told you you can drive on the ice at 6 inches with a half ton who ever told you that should try for themselfs lol do reserch on the net for ice thickness for driving befor saying you can on 6 inches and 9 inches for 3/4 ton

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:08 PM »
I drive on six with my dodge all time if three is no snow and good ice small lake too

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Might sound crazy but once the tape says six I go if you drive slow there has not been a problem. The faster you drive the ice starts to make a wave in front of vehical. I drove my diesle out at five today along shore and she was snapping like dry twigs gonna wait tell next weekend I think

Offline killemfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Might sound crazy but once the tape says six I go if you drive slow there has not been a problem. The faster you drive the ice starts to make a wave in front of vehical. I drove my diesle out at five today along shore and she was snapping like dry twigs gonna wait tell next weekend I think
Good idea!!!

MikeMiller

« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:25 PM »
you let me know when you go out so i can come watch you drive on bring your diesel

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:30 PM »

The dirtymax won't be on ice until there is 15 inches with this weather that might not be tell next winter.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:01 AM »
I wait till there is 15-16 or more to go out with mine too

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:34 AM »
last year we pulled the shack out with the truck with 7-8 inches. But we also had a lot better ice last year. hoping to get the shack out on friday

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2010, 10:17 AM »
I figured you'd be out there today doing it but friday works too haha. As long as you dont sink yours I think I'll be driving to my spot this weekend. Its going to be nice to have a real shack out there. ;D
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

MikeMiller

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:10 AM »
ill be going to my spot on mission eaither tomarrow or friday and hope to get out once or twice this weekend

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:54 PM »
There is a solid foot at Grandview, but it still looks a little sketchy. The ice that's there is good, clear ice though. A few guys have been driving on it about 150-200 yards out.
Still counting.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.