The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Supervision of lines  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Supervision of lines
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:47 PM »
A couple of years ago the law was changed to allow a person to leave their lines while set for upto 30 min. I see in the new law book that has been changed back to "immediate supervision " page 3, 4 paragraph 3ed colum. I was somewhat surprised as I had not herd this had been a issue and was going to be changed. As a matter of fact while we were fishing a pond last year the 2 wardens were fine with the idea of leaving to use he bathroom of going to pick someone else up that was late getting there or the such. I see there are quite a few changes overall in the 2017 book.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
Re: Supervision of lines
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Back in the mid-70's I was fishing Hancock pond in Denmark with my brother and father.  Not much flag action, so us two kids took off to go explore an abandoned scout camp. 
We were gone for awhile, maybe an hour and when we returned a warden was giving my father a hard time about having 15 traps.  Warden asked where we were and my brother said 'going to the bathroom in the woods'.
He said, you were gone a long time.
Brother said - "couldn't find any toilet paper".
He knew we were just goofing off - We got a stern lecture about having unattended traps and my father was let go with a warning.
To this day when my brother or I are late somewhere we just say to each other 'couldn't find any paper'.

Give it a try sometime, it worked for us.
 ;D

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:23 PM »
I remember a rule being proposed that would let someone leave his lines unattended for up to 20 minutes a few years ago. If my memory is accurate the change did not pass.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:24 PM »
There was a bill put in 2 years ago to make it a law to have a 20 min grace period for not having one's ice traps under immediate supervision. I went and testified for this law and during the work session the Warden Service agreed to have an unwritten rule within their department that they would give anyone a 20 minute window to leave their traps to go back to their vehicle to retrieve anything they might have forgotten,  or go back to camp to go to the bathroom, or anything they might need to do. So in essence,  there currently is a 20 minute window for all ice fishermen to leave their traps unattended.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:32 PM »
This is especially nice for people who now can run to register their fish on derby day. Just make sure you're not gone more than 20 minutes.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:38 PM »
I would be very careful of "unwritten laws" subject to interpretation by individual wardens.  I can never recall any law book that attaches a numerical value of time for unattended traps as Scalloper suggest.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I did not read it in the book that we had 20-30 min I believe I read it first here then last year they said it had passed. So that was why I was surprised to read what the 2017 book says.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:48 PM »
So noted GF.
I would suggest that everyone talk to their local warden to see what they will or will not allow when it comes to unattended traps.
I know I am comfortable with leaving mine unattended for anything needed to be done under 20 minutes.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2017, 06:55 PM »
I remember being told many years ago that if you need to go to the bathroom, pull all you lines up in the hole prior..... In no uncertain terms. ;D

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:12 PM »
I remember being told many years ago that if you need to go to the bathroom, pull all you lines up in the hole prior..... In no uncertain terms. ;D

That is true GF.
But since that bill was introduced 2 years ago and the Department / Legistators had a work session on it, it was agreed to cut fishermen a little slack while ice fishing.
Don't just take my word on it, give the warden service a call tomorrow and report back what you find out.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:17 PM »
That is true GF.
But since that bill was introduced 2 years ago and the Department / Legistators had a work session on it, it was agreed to cut fishermen a little slack while ice fishing.
Don't just take my word on it, give the warden service a call tomorrow and report back what you find out.

I'll just hold it. ;D

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:21 PM »
I'll just hold it. ;D

You're a bigger man than me. LOL

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:09 PM »
I think this topic went down the hole ;D
in god we trust

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:42 PM »
How does one pull up 5 lines for a hurry up call !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Law made with no thought  typical Warden move!!!!!!!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:58 PM »
20 minutes is great . I can get to the beer store and back if I take the shortcut across the open water at the outlet !!!   Good law ..

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:20 AM »
That is true GF.
I do remember you going to the session and the results. But why is it not written in the law books? Not all members of law enforcement are made from the same fabric.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:45 AM »
It just seems to grey for me to believe that a warden is going to wait and time how long you have been gone.  Also, unless he sees you leave, he doesn't know if youv'e already been gone for an hour prior to his arrival.  I wouldn't chance it personally, pull em up if you leave, just my opinion. :tipup:

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:12 AM »
I do remember you going to the session and the results. But why is it not written in the law books? Not all members of law enforcement are made from the same fabric.

As I remember the work session Doug, the Department stated that making it a law would be unnecessary because they have so few instances of people having unattended traps. So the Department suggested that all that was needed was to instruct, by memo, all their  wardens to give people up to 20 mins to do / go get what they needed done. The 20 mins starts when the warden arrives at the fishing site. Otherwise, they wouldn't know when the fisherman had left. Like I stated early, check with your local warden to get his take on unattended traps.

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:48 PM »
The law is the law, check with any warden before leaving them unattended.  A judge wouldn't listen to an unwritten rule, most wardens go by the book.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.