Author Topic: Falling through the ice. What to do?  (Read 3485 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Falling through the ice. What to do?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Safest way to "self rescue"?  Don't fall through in the first place.

Accidents don't "happen".  They are caused by people not understanding the risks, making bad decisions and refusing to believe the facts about where they are and what they trying to do.

You fall through it's on you.  "An ounce of prevention..."

There's ice in Texas?
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:25 PM »
There's nothing in Texas but steers and................ice?

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:21 PM »
a must watch video. thanks for sharing
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:24 PM »
mono_mono, You know why we don't ice fish in TX?

Takes too long to chop a hole big enough to get the boat in...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:05 PM »
There's nothing in Texas but steers and................ice?

You know what they call a castrated steer in Texas? Grass but no ass!
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 19, 2017, 08:12 AM »
I found this to be most informative.  Pretty entertaining as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQjSYflwPck
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline inyahole215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 26, 2017, 11:09 PM »
GET out then go find laundry mat dry clothes and panties get back on ice and catch fish

Offline Shipyard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Lmao gotta love the attitude in this thread. Thanks for the vid man. I fish on a pond where there are a lot of underwater mounds sometimes. Ice gets really thin, hard to tell without hearing a lurch. Could be only a couple feet away from a 4in spot too

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Not all accidents are the fault of the recipient, but probably 99% of the ones on the ice ARE!

There's that rare occasion when you step on an old hole that someone decided to fill with snow and it got covered with new snowfall.
Or when you're hit by a snowmobile driven by someone under the influence.
Or someone else's dog decides to run through your set up and proceeds to get tangled (and hooked) by all the jigging rod setups.

In any case, having the knowledge and the forethought to prepare for the inevitabilities that "could occur" can make a big difference from a scary outing and a sad remembrance!

Stay safe and dry, but be prepared all the same!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:43 AM »
live in a submarine

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Geeze, if you fall through ice it's your own fault.  Man up, you did something stupid.  Take responsibility for your stupidity.  Why's that so hard for some guys to understand?

You don't know the half of it....always making excuses, but never accepting responsibility...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 27, 2017, 01:20 PM »
I really don't understand why people on this posts are so insistent on calling people stupid or irresponsible if they fall through the ice. I have been out on over a foot thick ice and fallen through before. I wasn't being stupid or risky or irresponsible. Going out on ice has risks just like everything else in life. Driving a car has risk. Crossing the street can be risky. Skiing has risks.  Should we sit in bubble because were afraid of what might happen if we venture out and do life? I applaud guys for making and sharing videos.  I found info very helpful and will share with others. Thank you!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Accidents may or may not be caused by people.

BUT most certainly lots of accidents have caused a lot of people.

NOW argue with dat
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 27, 2017, 03:36 PM »
when you do get out don't stand up with all your weight at 1 spot .did that n sploosh right back in after the 3 time doing the same thing  I remembered to crawl

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:04 PM »
I have gone in 2X.  Once as a kid, too close to a shallow spring.  Another about 10 years ago as adult; fell through a completely hidden pressure ridge - able to get back out because solid on both sides.  Evidently, I hit my chin on the ice because I bit my lip and was bleeding everywhere.  I know it was a ridge only because I have seen it since then in the same spot - it was completely covered in snow that year that I fell through.  You can call me stupid...and I can call you ignorant...we will get over that.

Since then, I bought a floating suit, and I use a spud to check early thin ice.  And I know better what to do.  No guarantees.  I am curious about getting horizontal on your BACK instead of your front side.  All that I find are videos on self rescue getting up on your belly.  Probably easier and less effort to get horizontal on ones back.  Any descriptions or video about this back self rescue?

s

Offline Shipyard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Wasn't impressed by either video. If you don't have picks the first video isn't going to help you. Best video I have seen shows kicking and simultaneously getting up on the ice on your back. It works really well. I know I did it once. Trying to lift yourself up with your arms doesn't work that well, especially if you are getting weak, your clothes are getting water logged and weighing you down, or the ice is slick. The main thing is to use your head and not panic.

What happened to me was kind of funny actually. I was on a pier on my pond with my dog on a lease. I noticed a small hole in the ice next to the pier and reached out with my boot to see what the deal was. Next thing I know I've lost my balance and I'm in the water and the dog is still on the pier with the retractable lease in my hand  looking down at me like, "What are you doing down there?"

I ran to the house with only one boot and the dog after I quickly got out. The other boot floated up a about a week later when the ice thawed completely.
this story had me laughing thanks for sharing lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.