Author Topic: Keeping minnows alive  (Read 1304 times)

Offline NYHunter10

• IceShanty Rookie
Keeping minnows alive
« on: Jan 26, 2022, 05:54 PM »
Anyone have any tips for keeping minnows alive for 3-4 days? I’m only able to get minnows tomorrow but fishing Monday morning. I have a medium size insulated bucket and an aireator

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Keeping minnows alive
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:04 PM »
I have never used an aerator and have kept minnows alive for as long as 2 weeks in a 1.3 gallon bait bucket. With or without an aerator, here is what you need to do.

1.) Don't put too many minnows in the bucket. 2 dozen medium shiners or 1 dozen large anything should be the limit for the Frabill 1.3 gallon bucket.
2.) Don't store the bucket indoors, must be kept between freezing and 50 F to keep the bait alive.
3.) Drain the water every day ( can usually wait for 2 days if you forget a day ) and replace with cold tap water. Make sure the water is coming out of the faucet as cold as it can get before you put any in the bucket.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:19 PM »
Consider using a large cooler,..with an air bubbler...keep water changed daily ,..with no city water unless the water has been treated...and keep the water nice and cold...ice cubes,..snow,..ect..

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:35 PM »
If you sit your changeover tap water for at least 24 hours, the chlorine level should drop to safe levels.

I run a cheap aquarium with a aquarium filter and do a 30% water change weekly.  No problems keeping fish alive.

The aquarium is in my basement.  The coldest part of my house.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline NYHunter10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:46 PM »
Thanks for all the tips. My house has city water, I may have to grab new water from a local pond/stream and keep them in a cooler

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2022, 06:58 PM »
Even city water should be OK if you let it sit out a while.

What I typically do is get the coldest tap water, like the other guys said, and put an aerator in it for 12 hours.  And I sit it right next to my other bucket for at least 12 hours before transferring the minnows, so the water between the two is the same temperature.  I started doing this because I found that I was losing some minnows, presumably to shock, if I transferred them between two buckets that weren't the same temperature.

Also make sure to check the bucket regularly and scoop out any dead ones ASAP.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:18 PM »
i can set my minnow bucket in my sump pump.  i adjust the float to keep more water in it. basement unheated and 45-50 all year.

like he said city water should set over night, then should be good.  always test on a few though just in case.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:20 PM »
put them in fridge

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:27 PM »
i literally just caught hell for my baggie of spikes being on the old wife's cheese, in the fridge.  ::)

OANN the real story

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:29 PM »
yummm  :o

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:32 PM »
If you live where u have snow and ice piled in your yard just throw in a nice big chunk every day or other day and that helps a lot also.. no chlorine and keeps them cold..

Offline njsquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2022, 07:20 AM »
Thanks for all the tips. My house has city water, I may have to grab new water from a local pond/stream and keep them in a cooler

I have city water too and use the aquarium treatment drops that neutralize the chlorine. Haven't had and trouble keeping them in a 5 gallon bucket that runs a small aquarium filter and aerator in the cold basement. Change half the water once a week. Have had them last over a month

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-AquaSafe-Fish-Water-Conditioner/dp/B00068JW0A/

https://www.chewy.com/tetra-whisper-internal-aquarium-power/dp/133161

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2022, 08:11 AM »
Use a clean 5 gal bucket and fill with spring water and keep them 34-35*F, in a fridge if possible. The water may cost about what the minnows did but it's worth it. Bigger the minnows the more likely you are to need aeration. Whatever you do, don't feed them !

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2022, 05:42 AM »
lol i dont blame ya.  typos are fun.

OANN the real story

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:14 AM »
Keeping minnows alive can be a trick but a filtration system is a good thing if you are keeping them for a long period of time and can eliminate some of the water change outs and like I see some have stated keep the water cooler and do not feed them, if you think they need something remember when the water is cold they do not eat much and the more food the more ammonia is released into the water so more water change outs.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2022, 07:25 AM »
i literally just caught hell for my baggie of spikes being on the old wife's cheese, in the fridge.  ::)

I used to hold a pound of leeches in a gallon jar in the upstairs fridge during the summer. I always thought they were graceful swimmers. Others, well, not so much...  >:D >:D >:D :roflmao:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.