Author Topic: Walleye Baits / Different options??  (Read 3307 times)

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye Baits / Different options??
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:43 PM »
What baits are you catching walleye on other than minnows through the ice?  I try to fish without bait as much as possible but at times have had some of my trout gear with me when the bite is tough on just the jigs and have saved some days by tipping a spoon with meal worms or night crawlers.  What are everyone tipping their jigs and spoons with other than minnows for walleye through the ice?

-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Walleye Baits / Different options??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:57 AM »
What baits are you catching walleye on other than minnows through the ice?  I try to fish without bait as much as possible but at times have had some of my trout gear with me when the bite is tough on just the jigs and have saved some days by tipping a spoon with meal worms or night crawlers.  What are everyone tipping their jigs and spoons with other than minnows for walleye through the ice?

I tried out a salmo chubby darter for the first time last weekend in orange and gold.  The first walleye a caught absolutely inhaled it.  When I got him up it was all the way in the the back of his throat.  I don't know if all the takes will be that aggressive or how it will work if they are tight lipped, but thats the only lure that I've caught a walleye on that wasn't tipped with a minnow.   

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Any lure that Lights up a Walleyes  Laterial line overrides  the though process and goes directly to  "Eat" mode. Many baits do this , but you must figure out on that day which one .         Tightlines
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Bare jigging raps sometimes.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:59 PM »
I tried out a salmo chubby darter for the first time last weekend in orange and gold.  The first walleye a caught absolutely inhaled it.  When I got him up it was all the way in the the back of his throat.  I don't know if all the takes will be that aggressive or how it will work if they are tight lipped, but thats the only lure that I've caught a walleye on that wasn't tipped with a minnow.

I love my Chubby darters. I get usually hook up on the rear hook, rarely inhaled.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:22 AM »
I tip a lot of jigs with wax worms.

X3 on the Darter

Some of the new plastics may be in you future.

WS

Offline naterdame

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Do u usually tip the chubby darters? I was using a forage Minniow today tipped with a spike the little perch loved it but no eyes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.