Author Topic: Salmo chubby darters  (Read 16309 times)

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
Salmo chubby darters
« on: Dec 02, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Just picked some up in all sizes ive heard good and bad you guys ever tryem?
Getem caught

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Salmo chubby darters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:14 PM »
there is tons of info availabke on these. they are a gerat walleye bait, it took me a season or two to get my confidence up on them. But i carry a good selection now. I like the gold an glow colors.

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:17 PM »
tried one in perch color for 5 minutes-caught a 4lb northern pike..so yeah they work!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:34 PM »
I've tried them on and off for a couple of years and have not caught a fish yet.  I do hear however that the gold/orange one is the ticket on lakes in northern MN.  Last year I focused alot on panfish, so this year I think I will give it another go round.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:07 PM »
they are horrible where i fish,,   never get a look. :(    i keep trying tho it has great action .

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Salmo Chubby Darters have mistakenly been said to have "ripped off" the Jigging Rapala idea.

This is totally wrong.   I have noticed that there are some big differences in the action of these lures.
Salmo chubby darters are different than Jigging Rapalas, which are different than Rapala Jigging Shad Raps, and the Northland Puppet minnow.
And lets not forget the Lindy Darter.

They all have a time and a place that they will outperform other lures in this "family"
I have a few of each, and they manage to get used, at least for a while on every trip.  You will gain a preference through trial and error, just as I have.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:11 PM »
I always have a perch colored one tied on at least one rod, have caught everything from crappie on up to lakers with it. No other color has worked for me though.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2010, 09:48 PM »
The holographic glows have been really successful for me last season.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I have a small perch coloured one, tried it many times with ONE wally to show for it, and that was on the dead stick no less....But....I was informed that they are not meant to be fished with bait, and I was not aware of this, so maybe i'll catch a few more on it now.
Still counting.....

rickl1968

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:28 PM »
I like the Orange and white (glow) and the Orange and gold. Wack them in one lake and nothing in another.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2010, 09:21 AM »
In the last couple of outings I've iced perch, walleye, crappie and trout with a #3 perch chubby.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Ive caught alot of Walleye through the ice at a number of Saskatchewan lakes and I have never had any luck with a Chubby Darter or Lindy Lindy Darter. I see the fish quickly come up on these baits and quickly leave. I then put on a Jig-a-Whopper "Hauger Spoon" and boom...fish on. Only minnow baits that work real well for me are Jiggin Raps.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:34 AM »
Ive caught alot of Walleye through the ice at a number of Saskatchewan lakes and I have never had any luck with a Chubby Darter or Lindy Lindy Darter. I see the fish quickly come up on these baits and quickly leave. I then put on a Jig-a-Whopper "Hauger Spoon" and boom...fish on. Only minnow baits that work real well for me are Jiggin Raps.

Darkwater,

I have noticed this also. 
It seems to me that if a lake has the forage, like gizzard shad, then the larger bodied baits like Salmo work well.
If they don't have the forage base, It seems like the "regular" jigging raps work best because they imitate the minnow / perch forage base.

JMO.

Wiener

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:08 AM »
gonna try them this year. Expect to give them a good workout ::)

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:07 PM »
i have never used them but i herd that they where the same as lindy darters. so i bought a lindy darter because it was less money.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2010, 06:25 PM »
The only thing the Lindy and Salmo share is the name darter.  Yes there are some similarities in the technique of working the lure but the Salmo Chubby Darter has a lot more feedback while the Lindy Darter is very dead.  I could say the Salmo Chubby Darter represents a dying spazzing fish while the Lindy Darter represents a dying barely moving fish.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:27 AM »
The only thing the Lindy and Salmo share is the name darter.  Yes there are some similarities in the technique of working the lure but the Salmo Chubby Darter has a lot more feedback while the Lindy Darter is very dead.  I could say the Salmo Chubby Darter represents a dying spazzing fish while the Lindy Darter represents a dying barely moving fish.
Don't forget... They had to add rattles to make up for the action! The chubby has WAY more action on both the lift and fall then the lindy darter.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2010, 07:44 AM »

X2

I couldn't agree with you more.  There are major differences in many of the lures that are thought to be in the same "family".

Some have a more subtle, gliding action, while others displace water differently and can be worked more aggressive.

Get a couple of each kind and see what the fish prefer.
You may also want to experiment with different ways of fishing these lures.   Superbraid vs Mono, tied direct or with a loop knot etc.

Who know, you may hit upon the combination that slays 'em this year.

Good luck and stay on top.

Wiener

Offline Walleyerus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2010, 05:47 PM »
We had the Chubby darter out and the New Pk spoons Flutter fish and Pk spoons. We out fished The darter.Big time.I am a true believer is a lure that catches fish not fishermen.The action on these Pk lures is Unreal. And nice thing they are Not made of lead. So its a win win situation. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:06 PM »
" a lure catches fish, not fisherman."  This is B.S. and you know it.  How many times have you seen a hot bite on a certain lure, everybody runs out to grab it, everybody's got same lure, same size, same colour, same bait, but wait!    Not everyone hammers em.  You have to know what your doing, you can't just throw said lure down there and wait for the fish to jump on it. This applies to your pk lure as well. ps you are absolutely shameless in your marketing. Shameless.
Still counting.....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:35 AM »
Maybe the implication is that the PK Lure is more of a dummy fishing lure and anyone can just do it.  I also personally find myself more successful with just plain spoons for walleyes over that of a Chubby Darter.  So it wouldn't surprise me if anyone else would accomplish those results either.  I know that the Chubby Darter itself has a learning curve to it, speaking for myself personally.  Even applying that experience towards the Lindy Darter itself didn't help out with any success on the Lindy Darter.  I am having to learn to use the Lindy Darter itself.  There's simply more joy when I use a lure that takes a little more technique and finding just how to trigger that fish bite on it.  I will say that I've had more fish follow the Chubby Darter in a tag game longer than any other lures.  There's just something about having a fish chase the Chubby Darter up for 20 feet and then chase it back down for 20 feet and then chase it back up for 20 feet just to smack it: walleyes, mooneyes, tullibees, crappies, and white bass.  I was really playing electronic fish wars on my LX5.  ;D

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2011, 04:21 AM »
A SALMO chubby darter slays walleyes ....even in Pa
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Started the day off yesterday with my ol trusty. 3/8 Buckshot. Nothin. Tied on the small macho minnow, right away got some action, but slowed down to a big lul. No action for a while. Tied on the Chubby Darter, no bait on it, Bang, back to back walleyes. Another Lull. Tried buckshot again. Nothin. Tipped Chubby Darter w a perch eye, dropped it back down. Bang! Fish on. Final score: Chubby Darter: 5 walleye with a couple that got off and a couple that i missed. Macho Minnow; 2 walleye, Buckshot 0 walleye.

This is the first time i've seriously fished the chubby, ususally rely on the ol buckshot, but you can bet i will be giving it a lot more time down there from now on.
Still counting.....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Sometimes I do get various results just in switching size of Chubby Darters too.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:32 PM »
Reeds sporting has a deal 3 Salmo chubby darters in a Vexilar box for 21.99
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline elksavy96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20, 2014, 04:19 PM »
I absolutely love using the Salmo Chubby Darter on perch. I use it a little bit different than most though as I take off the trebble hooks and put a 2" dropper on it tipped with maggots. Deadly!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:00 PM »
My brother and I were jigging side by side this morning in the shack, I had on a Lindy darter, he was using a rapala jiggin rap. I was smashing fish, 8 or 9 and missed 2 more. He got one fish to commit to the jigging rap. Both tipped on the trail hook with minnow heads. 2 feet away from each other..

Chute82

« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Never had any luck with the chubby darter on walleye but have caught several perch and crappie.  Been trying for three years now to catch a walleye on a chubby here in NW PA but never had any luck.  I catch walleye all the time on blade baits switch to the chubby when the action is hot and nothing.  Maybe Iam not fishing it right but I have several colors and sizes.  Better luck this year

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:40 PM »
I havent much luck lately but every waleye i have caught has been with salmo in perch. Even on sle days it draws a look when nothing else is getting a sniff. No bait makes it convenient.

Offline jaymevb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:58 PM »
I've never caught one on chubby darter, the only thing i've caught is one crappie with them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.