The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ice fishing quabbin ponds?  (Read 1719 times)

Infiniti

Ice fishing quabbin ponds?
« on: Jan 23, 2023, 03:11 PM »
Anyone know if its still legal to fish Bassett's and South Spectacle pond on quabbin property? I thought I remembered it being legal so I looked into it and the only info I could dig up was a 2006 rules and regulations that said it was allowed. I'm assuming it still is legal but didn't want to waste the trip and get in trouble for relying on 17 year old information.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Ice fishing quabbin ponds?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2023, 03:24 PM »
It is legal, S. Spec is hard to get on, as a bog the ice for the first 60' or so (swampy ice) is often not safe and I would bet money the edges are not safe right now. Only hit Bassett's about 30 years ago and got some yellow perch... it is a fair walk in from the gate. North Spec is easier to fish and the ice is likely to be safe... I have talked to many anglers that have done well there. The couple of times I have hit it, it was not so great, but I have not "figured" it out either. Best of luck!

Infiniti

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2023, 05:28 PM »
It is legal, S. Spec is hard to get on, as a bog the ice for the first 60' or so (swampy ice) is often not safe and I would bet money the edges are not safe right now. Only hit Bassett's about 30 years ago and got some yellow perch... it is a fair walk in from the gate. North Spec is easier to fish and the ice is likely to be safe... I have talked to many anglers that have done well there. The couple of times I have hit it, it was not so great, but I have not "figured" it out either. Best of luck!
I appreciate you taking the time to respond and provide some info. The goal is Bassett pond sometime after the late January/early February freeze we're supposed to get. I don't mind dragging my stuff half a mile to fish new water and avoid the crowds. I'm thinking a pond that size with that little pressure must be holding something worth catching, at least I hope so lol. Thanks again!

Offline jiggeron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:59 PM »
Nice to see someone who wants to get off the beaten path.  From my log, I iced fished Bassett Pond only once 23 years ago.  It was just a couple hours only jigging with a teardrop and mealworm.  All I caught were yellow perch from 6 to 9 inches.  I hand augered many holes and the maximum depth I found was 12 feet.  Most central pond spots were 6 feet.  I'd be sure there was enough ice by checking either of the Spectacle ponds before I took the long walk in there.  Good luck if we get some colder weather and you give it a try.

Infiniti

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2023, 01:24 AM »
Nice to see someone who wants to get off the beaten path.  From my log, I iced fished Bassett Pond only once 23 years ago.  It was just a couple hours only jigging with a teardrop and mealworm.  All I caught were yellow perch from 6 to 9 inches.  I hand augered many holes and the maximum depth I found was 12 feet.  Most central pond spots were 6 feet.  I'd be sure there was enough ice by checking either of the Spectacle ponds before I took the long walk in there.  Good luck if we get some colder weather and you give it a try.
Thank you for chiming in. So far you and Striper have given me better info than 2 hours on Google was able to produce. This pond is clearly not pressured much at all so I'm confident I'll at least catch some fish even if they aren't huge. Great idea on checking
N/S Spectacle before hoofing it 6/10 of a mile to Basset, I will definitely do that. Thanks again!!

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:30 AM »
GOOD REPORT....THANKS

Offline W8t B8t

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:29 PM »
I fished basset also many years ago came in from 122 really tough getting on it is a swampy shoreline but I did well with crappie straight out to the right
Asked my friend who lives on old Dana rd if it would be easier going in off that access rd he said it’s a good walk to the pond
But good luck I think it’s a nice little pond that is way under fished

Infiniti

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2023, 06:44 PM »
I fished basset also many years ago came in from 122 really tough getting on it is a swampy shoreline but I did well with crappie straight out to the right
Asked my friend who lives on old Dana rd if it would be easier going in off that access rd he said it’s a good walk to the pond
But good luck I think it’s a nice little pond that is way under fished
Sounds like I should definitely be bringing a jig rod with me since its got good crappie and perch action. I took a walk around it during the summer time and saw a few rubber worms stuck in trees so I'm assuming it has bass or pickerel too but I guess I'll have to find that out on my own if nobody else chimes in. Thanks a lot for the information. Figuring it out on my own will be part of the fun but it certainly helps to have a clue what kind of gear to bring.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.