Author Topic: preferred maggot colors  (Read 4841 times)

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
preferred maggot colors
« on: Oct 06, 2003, 09:51 PM »
for those of you ice warriors out there, what color of maggots do you find work best for panfishing? i have had good luck with red myself, but that is the only color that i can find here in west central wisconsin come the winter months. i plan on buying some maggots in bulk and would like to know what kind of luck other fisherman have had. any info would be appreciated....
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
Re:preferred maggot colors
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2003, 06:15 AM »
They mostly just come in basic white back here in New York(untill they turn black because you forget to put them in the fridge). :P
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2003, 06:12 AM »
I'm with Dogfish. White is all I use. Fatter the better. Tried some colored ones last year but saw no significant difference that justifies the extra cost.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2003, 06:55 PM »
I agree white  is all i use, and i fish 90% of the time at night.
Only problem i had was when my wife packed me some rice for one of my 12+ hour nights :o
It can get a little interesting with my old eyes and when i drop the fork down the hole :'(

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2003, 06:13 AM »
Crappieloo
Just what do you catch on those fork-spoons? ???
Well whatever you catch it's got to taste better than spikes and rice :P :P
A mousie man myself ;) I find they go better with Mac and Cheese tho ::).
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2003, 06:54 AM »
dogfish, i lost my fork down the ice hole and had to eat the rice with my fingers. Sometimes i can be a slob and with a open container of spikes next to my bowl of rice i was getting a little nervous. Thats why i didn'T heat up the rice :o
Hey, thats a good idea for the mousies, i wonder where we can find orange ones ???

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2003, 08:22 PM »
The white ones work as good as any IMHO. Also, I have found the colored ones to be MUCH less hardy. Die sooner and get torn up by fish easier.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2003, 08:53 AM »
I tried the colore ones before and seemed to worse,i always use to use waxes, but now i use spikes all the time. Much warmer fingers that way.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2003, 01:15 PM »
I use plain maggots, bigger the better. Don't care to use the colored ones (white, green, pink, red, etc), since I am useing them for scent not a visual attractant. Thats what the hook is for!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2003, 03:17 PM »
Hi Gang!
    I crush up about a dozen mix em in water then drop it in the hole to sent  the water underneath.  The Gills at night come running it works well. When the gill stop hitting o look out there are usually bigger fish in the area attracted by all the action of the (gill gone wild).  Can't wait for hard water this year!
     Thanks!
 Da-Roc

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2003, 09:31 AM »
My girlfriend and I met Dave Genz at the fishing show in Arlington Heights, Il a couple of years ago, and he taught her a couple or tricks.  Then as we were about to leave the Ice Team booth he handed her a box of the multicolored spikes to take home and give a try.  The next time out she outfished me like crazy.  Ever since then she insists on only "the pretty spikes"  when we go to the bait store. ::) ::)
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.