Author Topic: Trapping Shiners?  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trapping Shiners?
« on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:23 PM »
Just curious, With the price of shiners these days how many of you trap your own? I started trapping them a couple of years ago( I found a great pond infested with golden pond shiners) And keep them in a 50 gallon tank I built pretty cheap. I already have enough for the entire season. If you fish alot like I do during the winter this could save you hundreds of dollars. Anyway, I'm just curious how many of you trap your own?

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Trapping Shiners?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Just curious, With the price of shiners these days how many of you trap your own? I started trapping them a couple of years ago( I found a great pond infested with golden pond shiners) And keep them in a 50 gallon tank I built pretty cheap. I already have enough for the entire season. If you fish alot like I do during the winter this could save you hundreds of dollars. Anyway, I'm just curious how many of you trap your own?

Was it a fifty gallon fish tank, or something different?

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Its actually a 50 gallon plastic tub that I picked up @ Ocean state job lot for $20.00 I added a whisper filter for a 60 gallon tank for about $40.00 and submersable pump that runs a shower and circultes the water.(I got that for free from a friend) I mounted a spicket on the tank, and change 1/2 the water every 2 weeks. Shiners last all winter.

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2005, 08:09 PM »
Its actually a 50 gallon plastic tub that I picked up @ Ocean state job lot for $20.00 I added a whisper filter for a 60 gallon tank for about $40.00 and submersable pump that runs a shower and circultes the water.(I got that for free from a friend) I mounted a spicket on the tank, and change 1/2 the water every 2 weeks. Shiners last all winter.

DAMN!! Sounds like the hot set-up! Any pics?

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2005, 08:28 PM »
I'll try to get a pic on here for you.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2005, 09:31 PM »
me and bro. have a old freezer with a water pump that pushes water through a 5 gal. bucket filed with fiberglass insulation then pours back in the tank. we also have a bubbler with a large stone .we got the green water additive from a large state bait dealer. we keep the freezer in a unheated back room of the house that stays about 40 deg. ive had smelt in there for 2 months and they were still goin'. shiners all season!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.