Author Topic: hooking perch eyes  (Read 3273 times)

Offline little fish

• IceShanty Rookie
hooking perch eyes
« on: Sep 29, 2005, 06:29 AM »
Hi,
    I am new to ice fishing and  do not want to look stupid, but I have read that you use
"perch eyes" as bait! Do you just push the hook into the eye, or is there other way.

Many thanks,
                          Bert.  ??? ??? ???

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
Re: hooking perch eyes
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2005, 08:15 AM »
Bert welcome to the shanty. To answer your question, Yes just run the hook through the eye and drop it down the hole.                                    Ron
Bobberstop

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2005, 08:46 AM »
Welcome aboard Little Fish. Like bobberstop said, just hook them. The only thing I can add is don't expect super thing's from them. I started using them some last winter and they are about like anything else, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Not a sure fire thing.
        Jim

Offline samson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Hi,
    I am new to ice fishing and  do not want to look stupid, but I have read that you use
"perch eyes" as bait! Do you just push the hook into the eye, or is there other way.

Many thanks,
                          Bert.  ??? ??? ???

on the back of the eye there's some membrane, hook it through there, it stays on the hook longer.  and an easy to pop the eyes out is to push down on the cheek and with your needle nose pliers kind of scoop it out, no need for paper clips, knives, etc.  i find that it works alright most of time, try putting it on the end of your favourite rattle spoon. hope this helps bud

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2005, 11:04 AM »
on the back of the eye there's some membrane, hook it through there, it stays on the hook longer.  and an easy to pop the eyes out is to push down on the cheek and with your needle nose pliers kind of scoop it out, no need for paper clips, knives, etc.  i find that it works alright most of time, try putting it on the end of your favourite rattle spoon. hope this helps bud

That's where I hook them also( in the outer membrane ). If you hook it through the eye it still works, but the color of the eye is distorted then.  Also, if you want to store some, just put about 6 to 8 in the bottom of a zip lock bag and get as much air out as you can. Make sure the eyes are not touching, that way you can get out one at a time without dealing with a glob of them.
Ken                                          

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2005, 08:27 PM »
The key to using eyes is make sure you have fish below your hole. The problem many people have with eyes is they think it attracts fish, but the truth is if they are under your hole, there is no better bait made. If you are hunting or attracting, not a wise chose.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2005, 06:13 AM »
i usually attract perch with a small kastmaster spoon.  blue and silver, that draws them in...i always keep a small perch whenever i catch one.  if theyre not biting on waxworms, or on the kastmaster itsself, i always try the perch eye trick, and oftentimes, theyll hit that whenever they wont take anything else.  gills love them also.  if theres walleye, or pike around, keep some dink perch, and cut the belly meat off them, put it onto the treble hook of a swimming bait, airplane jig, jigging rapalla, and you should do pretty well, as long as you experiment with different jigging techniques.  follow the directions on the box, and be patient.  if you fish at night for the toothy critters, use 8-10 lb vanish line, with a steel leader, youll do just fine
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2005, 07:58 PM »

just slip you thumb under the eye and pop it out

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline FingerLakesFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2005, 07:05 PM »
I have had decent luck over the years with the eyes, for the simple fact that they stay on my hook fish after fish. Especially when you are on them, less time messing around putting on other baits like wax worms or spikes.  You can make a tool by taking a paperclip and a small piece of a dowel (the empty part of a Bic pen will work as well).  Unfold the clip and bend it into a U shape.  Twist the bottom together leaving a small circle.  put the twisted end into the empty pen or into a hole drilled at the top of a dowel and fill it with superglue.  Works like a charm.

Offline little fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2005, 06:26 AM »
Hi Guys & Gals,
                    Just want to thank everybody that answered me, you are a great bunch of people.
 Hope one day I can help somebody out there.

Bert, (little fish) ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.