Author Topic: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`  (Read 99122 times)

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`
« Reply #90 on: Mar 14, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Im new to trapping I threw a trap in one pool that i knew had minnows in and I caught on 8inch on and tried some other spots. Can I get any advive on what kind of food and where to mount in the stream??

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #91 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:20 AM »
Just go back to the first page of this thread and start reading , the answers to your questions are there-->http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=118411.0
Also click here for other topics on bait catching and keeping tanks etc-->http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=67.0
It is the end of the season for most of IS, so replies to your posts may be few and far between, plenty of material to read during the softwater season.

surflizard

« Reply #92 on: Aug 27, 2011, 06:24 AM »
Hey Das
 I was figuring on using the pool pump/filter combo to help keep the water clean. Whats nice about it is I can back wash the filter to cut down on filter changes. I have a attached cinder blockfoundation  under the new sun room addition, it is backfilled within 12" of the top on 3 sides. With the insulated doors it stays right around 45 degrees during most of the winter and summer. I leak tested the 6' chest freezer for a week, so far so good ! I'm having male/female threaded bulkheads made for the water inlet, outlet and the drain. I got lucky because I put a Clean out for my perimeter drain in the floor before I poured it, I can turn on a ball valve to drain it. We drilled a new well last fall and hit a bad Iron deposit, i had to install a Major water filter system. I do have a spigot before the filter system, I'm wondering about the high iron content of the water ?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Sep 02, 2011, 02:47 PM »
 Sorry it has taken so long to respond. Sounds like ya got a solid start Lizardman. Grab an aquarium heater and a wall-timer for emergency use-I set mine to run for an hour or so at night midwinter and then off for 2 hours to prevent the hoses from freezing up. You may or may not need it . Bear in mind ya want your tank temps to hover just north of freezing. Bait stops eating and therefor peeing/ poopin below 40 degrees F.As far as the Iron content, I am not a fish biologist and cannot tell you definitively that it will or will not harm the bait. I will tell you I lost untold amounts of trapped up bait before I got serious and loaded the 55 gallon drum in the pickup . Off to the lake. No more problems. B4 the lake water I had to add chlormine remover etc. and the fish would still end up getting the " heavy metal headshake" b4 going belly up. Been busy workin , but I am actually taking 2 of this 3-day weekend off!   

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Sep 05, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Down to 5 traps this year, plenty still . Loaded the aerators with d-batteries left over from the hurricane scare. 

surflizard

« Reply #95 on: Sep 05, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I'm still waiting on the pump water lines and drain bulkheads from the machine shop. The freezer figures out to be 75 gallons, I need to see if they rate the aquarium heaters by the gallons ? There are some factory installed shelf brackets on the side walls that I can utilize for dividers, to keep the suckers and bait fish separated. Learned an interesting fact, the missus used to run the aquarium department at a local pet store, she's handling the water testing for me !  :thumbsup:

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Sep 10, 2011, 09:05 AM »
I'm still waiting on the pump water lines and drain bulkheads from the machine shop. The freezer figures out to be 75 gallons, I need to see if they rate the aquarium heaters by the gallons ? There are some factory installed shelf brackets on the side walls that I can utilize for dividers, to keep the suckers and bait fish separated. Learned an interesting fact, the missus used to run the aquarium department at a local pet store, she's handling the water testing for me !  :thumbsup:

Most heaters (glass tube style) are set to 68-70 and cannot be adjusted lower. You have to use a timer and set it to turn on a couple times during the evening when the tank is close to freeze-up. Ideally the tank temps should be about 35 degrees , close to freezing. Bait won`t eat below 40ish and therefor don`t create waste, ammonia the nemesis of baittank gurus.

Offline HooKEDUP24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Sep 10, 2011, 07:17 PM »

Surf, you can buy heaters for bird baths that turn on only when the water gets down to 40F.  They only get the water a few degrees above 40F and then shut off again, making it cost effective. 
Ice Fishing Marathoner

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Sep 11, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Thinking a pond heater might work better... 

http://www.farminnovators.com/page13.htm

"This 300 watt pond de-icer can be a submersible pond deicer for ponds up to 300 gallons"
http://www.123ponds.com/kh8100.html

http://www.garden.com/item/perfect-climate-deluxe-pond-de-icer/G23043/

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Sep 11, 2011, 08:33 AM »
I went to the Farm Innovators site and when I click-ed on "buy" it took me to the contact page and I got no price! Followed another link of yours to here----> http://www.123ponds.com/kh8125.html This looks good. Wattage is a concern, can`t run electric bill thru the roof with a 1500 watt heater. TY for yer help!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Sep 11, 2011, 08:49 AM »
Do a search on pond heaters.. there are plenty of options...
I'm in the process of moving my tank (18cf chest freezer) from my basement to the enclosed back porch.  Doesn't get cold enough in the basement.   But really hoping that I wont need a heat source to keep it from freezing once I move it.  Guess I'll find out....

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Sep 20, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Finally got a chance to soak a few traps. Hit one of my spots that has not only shiners, but creek chubs(lotsa) and suckers. Got a mixed bag , probably a dozen shiners , a dozen chubs from 3"-6" and 2 suckers about 6"-6 1/2". Not bad . My boys got a crappie trip planned, this outta take care of that!

surflizard

« Reply #102 on: Sep 20, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Nice start to the season buddy !  :thumbsup: I hoping to get the freezer home tomorrow and start assembly !

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #103 on: Sep 20, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Thats cool Das...Ive never thought about using chubs as bait. Some of the creeks around here a full of them. They make good bait?
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Sep 20, 2011, 04:46 PM »
Thats cool Das...Ive never thought about using chubs as bait. Some of the creeks around here a full of them. They make good bait?
Yup, great bait-Big fish see lil fishy, bye bye lil fishy, really doubt the big fish pulls out a minnow identifying chart b4 pouncing on what is obviously , LUNCH! They are super rugged, I had a few last year (biguns around 8 inches long) that saw the bottom of the ice on several occasions, sporting multiple hook holes. They are mean thou, keep em away from smaller bait like common shiners or they eat em up! Just make sure they are LEGAL for use where ya at!

surflizard

« Reply #105 on: Sep 21, 2011, 02:36 PM »
I've got a Model to go by if ya need one !

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Sep 21, 2011, 03:25 PM »
YUP YUP, dats the deal - gutta check the Nh FnG regulations on size etc.  Gut plenty zip/wire ties. I have a dead bugzapper (bigun) that I am going to steal the hardware cloth/wire off of to make my trap. Make up a cone/funnel and put it all together. TADA! Sucker hotel!

surflizard

« Reply #107 on: Sep 21, 2011, 03:28 PM »
The Green Mambas just flew outta Labrador !  ;)2 :thumbsup:

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Sep 21, 2011, 04:42 PM »
The Green Mambas just flew outta Labrador !  ;)2 :thumbsup:
KEWL!   

I just came in from the garage , I pulled out the "dead" bugzapper plugged it in and stuck my fingah rite past the exterior ring of hardware cloth and touched the interior ring to "test" it. Guess what happened?
Done laffin???   Yup , lit myself up! Wasn`t bad at all, just enuff to wake me up a lil! I think I may leave it intact for next bug season. Off to the hardware store....

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Sep 21, 2011, 05:43 PM »
 :whistle: ;D ;D ;D

surflizard

« Reply #110 on: Sep 21, 2011, 06:11 PM »
You really are a Madman ROTT, you know that !!  :roflmao:

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Sep 22, 2011, 12:00 PM »
I'll bet you could add some wires, duct tape, and a couple poles and make up a Red Green machine to do some electroshocking!   :o

Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Sep 22, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Allready checked the rule book- no electrical devices allowed in the taking of fish and/or baitfish- Bumma! ;D

surflizard

« Reply #113 on: Sep 22, 2011, 12:51 PM »
No Explosive Devices neither !!  :'( ;D

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #114 on: Sep 29, 2011, 10:42 AM »
So far nothing but Bluegills.  I might start trying shorter soaks.  I've being leaving the traps out overnight.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Sep 29, 2011, 11:19 AM »
NH letz ya use 6- 18" traps. Take advantage of that and try EVERYWHERE you can legally. Get permission ,  for access to small ponds , industrial parks, golf courses etc. I have scouted around 50-70 places in the last 3 years. I mostly slide in and toss crumpled up bread and watch it sink. If it gets batted around by lil fishys, I toss a trap in!  If nuttin , I move on. Lotsa legwork to get your trapping operation started up , but then it gets easier as a few years go by and you can pop in a grab a few dozen when ya need em during the year.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #116 on: Sep 29, 2011, 02:18 PM »
I'm trapping starting this weekend. Going for big suckers and red fin shiners. Some craw fish too.

Tis the season!

JIGGIN.

ps: Hoping no one will steal my traps this year. Had to replace the 2 they stole last year. Not cheap.

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:07 PM »
I've been holding back due to warm weather.Got about 80 creek chubs(thought they were dace but did a little more research)and 10 suckers.Might try a couple sets tomorrow.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Sep 29, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I've been holding back due to warm weather.Got about 80 creek chubs(thought they were dace but did a little more research)and 10 suckers.Might try a couple sets tomorrow.
The chubs are easy to keep, even in warm water, shiners not so much.

Offline Iceholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Quest for the Gold Flag
« Reply #119 on: Oct 03, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Pulled my trap out of the game on Saturday morning.  Had a couple small goldens but I tossed em back in.
Someone is pulling my trap and messing with it.  :%$#!: Has been messed with each of the last 4 times I pulled it, so I got it out of there.  I think it is just young curious kids.

The water level on the pond is crazy.  Highest it has ever been since I started trapping several years ago.

Plan to start back up again later this week in a new location on the pond.  Will also go down with a rod/reel next weekend to try and grab some larger ones.

Hoping to do some creek/brook/river scouting this week too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.