Author Topic: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`  (Read 99116 times)

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`
« Reply #60 on: Sep 28, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Plenty of info on u-toob and the net . I went with the waxies, I think the mealworms are actually easier to breed. How goes filling the stainless tank? I jumped the gun and lost all that I trapped up-about 12-15dozen down the tubes. Bumma, haste makes waste-smelly waste apparentely.Temps in the tanks hit 78-82 degrees. COME ON COOL WEATHER!!!!
I'm not trapping anything yet. It's to darn hot!!! Don't want the problems with dead bait. My tank is all cleaned out and the new canister filter is all hooked up. That thing sprays the water really good. Can't wait for the temps to drop.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #61 on: Sep 29, 2010, 10:02 AM »
1MO, how goes it? Glad to see ya shakin off the summer. Good to hear ya gut yer 300 gallons churnin, ready for the season. I always jump the gun, ya know to wait till I lose like 15 dozen then start hitting yer creek!
My kids,  3 , all put a dent in my shiner haul, cuz they use em softwater too, so it`s not a total loss. I hit my ponds quite a bit for the kids and then myself later when it`s cooling down. Have seen no evidence of others trappin, and still have good hauls with assorted sizes from this years 1 inchers to 7inch breeders. All seems well.
then das is gude, my guppies got 4 turtles we go through the goldies so ill be feedin the casualties to them. our cricks were dry alot of the summer the one weve been to had very little to show mostly young of the year gamefish alot of crabz and clams oom ha the cajun in me says get out the crab boil lol it still is a little early to trap i hope the rain stacks up the bait in the deep holes  good catchin 
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #62 on: Sep 30, 2010, 07:27 AM »
Judging by last season`s posts, things are abit warmer this season than last. Sept(last season) was cooler than this Sept, and I had trouble with high temps in the tanks then. History repeats itself, especially when water temps are a shade higher than previous season. Last season , both 1MoFish and myself had baittank calamities just days apart -roughly Sept-27.
Also trapping started to slow-up around Oct-18 and virtually shut down by Oct-30 , when tank temps were about 45 degrees.
Clik here for WaxWorm Growing Update->http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=86070.msg1502622#msg1502622

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Oct 04, 2010, 07:15 AM »
Changed my water out. Watched enuff minnows doing the heavy-metal head-shake . Quit trying to fix the water with additives and took a 55 gallon drum to the lake and filled them with lake water. Emptied tanks and refilled with real water.  ;D

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Oct 09, 2010, 09:11 PM »
Has anyone ever trapped and then froze the bait to use dead? I'd rather use live bait, but being that I live in an apartment I don't have room for a tank.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Oct 10, 2010, 01:00 AM »
Yes I have a big tank, but if they die I freeze them and use them dead. Easy meal for a big docile Pike...

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Oct 10, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Has anyone ever trapped and then froze the bait to use dead? I'd rather use live bait, but being that I live in an apartment I don't have room for a tank.

They'll hit it dead if you can make it look alive. Some species prefer them dead, too.

I have a 30 gallon tank with about ten dozen in it right now. I'd bet you could find room for a ten gallon and get a second filter for it and put several dozen in it. You just have to change the water and clean the filters a lot when you pack them in. Don't feed them, either. Just makes the water dirty faster.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Oct 10, 2010, 10:44 AM »
I do have a 20 gal tank with a filter, heater, and air pump. I use to use it for ciclids and stuff (wife liked their colors). Its just sitting around now with nothing in it. But I thought that would be too small to stick a few dozen in. Figured they would all die before ice came anyhow. If I got a second filter for it you think I could put some in there that would live? What about keeping the water temp down. No where to store them outside or in a garage etc. So the water would be pretty close to my appartment temp which is around 65-70.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Oct 10, 2010, 10:56 AM »
They won`t last long at all at that temp. Gutta get the water close to freezing so they stop eating and producing waste.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Oct 10, 2010, 11:30 AM »
I do have a 20 gal tank with a filter, heater, and air pump. I use to use it for ciclids and stuff (wife liked their colors). Its just sitting around now with nothing in it. But I thought that would be too small to stick a few dozen in. Figured they would all die before ice came anyhow. If I got a second filter for it you think I could put some in there that would live? What about keeping the water temp down. No where to store them outside or in a garage etc. So the water would be pretty close to my appartment temp which is around 65-70.

Get yourself another filter. The bigger the better. You can freeze half gallon jugs and put them in there to drop the temp down. I had at least five dozen in my 30 gallon with a 30 gallon filter and a 50 gallon filter from November until march last year. Clean the filters at least once a week and change a third of the water every week or more often if it gets nasty looking.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Oct 10, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Judging by last season`s posts, things are abit warmer this season than last. Sept(last season) was cooler than this Sept, and I had trouble with high temps in the tanks then. History repeats itself, especially when water temps are a shade higher than previous season. Last season , both 1MoFish and myself had baittank calamities just days apart -roughly Sept-27.
Also trapping started to slow-up around Oct-18 and virtually shut down by Oct-30 , when tank temps were about 45 degrees. What I am getting from this, is that the tanks must be filled by Nov, and not to start trapping till about the first of Oct or be ready to chuck alot of work out back for the cats. October is not only when SamAdams makes it`s unquestionably best brew(OKTOBERFEST!), it is do or die for minnow hunters. So it is on, fellow minnow chasers, at least those north of the Mass/NH border. GOOD LUCK!

Clik here for WaxWorm Growing Update->http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=86070.msg1502622#msg1502622
I COULDNT AGREE MO' couldnt hold off any longer the giuppies mama pesce and the olman hit the crick it was loadeddddddddddd tried not to be greedy, with the fried chicken picnic we had lol minnies another story? the seine was heavy ended the day with a set of pipes lol and 5-  5 and 6 gallon buckets of bait one for each one of us  need a S A to water down the pipes but a high life will have to do haPPY OCTOBERFEST  DAS IS GUDE   LA CHAIM
MO
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Oct 12, 2010, 06:55 PM »
Happy OctoberFest to you 2 MO. I have abuncha small/mediums in the tank and haven`t trapped at all in a while, work has been busy. The boys and thier friends will use them all , I`m sure! I will drop a trap in tomorrow if time permits. Lets see sum pics of the tank and bait. Check out my waxworm progress or lack of it here-->http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=86070.50   

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:42 PM »
The first tank is full!!!

We got the second tank up and running on Sunday. It will be getting some bait in it this week. We are doing very well on the trapping and have decided to take a break for a few days to make sure all of the other gear is all set. Shanty is set up in the basement with NO holes in it and I will check on my augers in the morning. I put all new line on my tip ups last season, so they are good to go. Gotta go to Dick's and restock the hooks and flouro leaders.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #73 on: Oct 19, 2010, 08:11 AM »
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Oct 19, 2010, 11:04 AM »
I sure wish we lived in the same state PK, summa them giant goldies are impressive. I have started doing the same, rod n reelin the same ponds I trap in search of the mommas and pappas! That pond you found should produce every year as long as ya stay tight-lipped about it and don`t over-trap it. That new canister filter is the nutz huh? Check this out , I found these while cruisin UncleHenrys---> http://www.unclehenrys.com/init/classifieds/ad_detail/2890679/?_next=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unclehenrys.com%2Finit%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2F6%232890679 and
http://www.unclehenrys.com/init/classifieds/ad_detail/3705785/?_next=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unclehenrys.com%2Finit%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2F7%233705785

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:55 PM »
Last year I was just running a large aquarium filter and was going through filters like crazy so it wasn't cost effective. So I looked around and found that the canister filters only need to be changed every 3 months. So I am hoping that this will cut some costs.

Offline Mik-N-Del

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:36 AM »
We've got 40 dozen in the tanks ... where's the ice at???

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Oct 21, 2010, 02:18 PM »

I've done that a lot.  It's illegal to use live baitfish in my local ice fishing pond so dead bait is one of my options.  I have caught many perch and brook trout with frozen shiners and smelts.  I try to keep my bait alive until I go fishing so it is as fresh as possible but when they die in the tank they go into the freezer for later use.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:43 PM »
how many dozen of 2-3" minnows can a 36 gallon tank hold?
Don

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Oct 31, 2010, 11:00 PM »
Well, We are going to be setting up another tank this week. We are set with the smalls and mediums. We have a bunch of big boys, but I think we need a few hundred more. Have to get another canister filter this week and get the 3rd tank up and running for the big boys to have a nice winter home. I bought a big bottle of Better bait and new carbon material the other day and changed the water today.

Oh, I also talked a while back about trying to get permission to trap at a local farm pond, well I got it... I will be going there in the morning to do some scouting and throw in some test traps. I will keep you up dated...

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:51 AM »
 Been a fair year, no stolen traps at least! How much you spending on the canister filters and how big are they PK? Might change up my system abit next year.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Nov 01, 2010, 03:31 PM »
how many dozen of 2-3" minnows can a 36 gallon tank hold?
with the right amount of water flow and depending on the minnow size and water temps as low as 50 and as high as 200  :-\ i got a 30 sittin in front of me 4 turtles and 100 or so assorted baits comets shiners catfish crappies gills and snails and crabz 350gph filter  crystal clear
GOD bless
mo

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:02 PM »
The canister filters are Cascade 1000's I had bought a filstar and it died 3 days after being turned on so I brought it back and got these. Have not had any problems with them. They can change 400gph. They are 130 bucks each but well worth it If you think of the bait that we are storing. We are running 2 150 gallon tanks at the moment and will be adding another this week. We have lost about 20 dace in all so far due to jumping out. The goldens are all fine and ready to go. The water in the tanks was around 50 degrees and now I am sure it's more like 40 with this cold weather.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Got out a few days ago, 5 traps in my favorite pond-2 hour soak= NUTTIN!  I figured the high water from the rain would be a good thing. Gonna try 2 ponds today, the fav again and another not far from there,(1/2 mile) . I`ll drop 2 in one pond and head back to the fav pond and drop 3. Had 6 traps to start the season, but one steel one rotted out and was patched and then it rotted some more , so I retired it. Got 3 seasons outta it. Only buy galvy Gee`s traps now, last forever.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Nov 08, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Got out a few days ago, 5 traps in my favorite pond-2 hour soak= NUTTIN! My first strike-out this year! I figured the high water from the rain would be a good thing. Gonna try 2 ponds today, the fav again and another not far from there,(1/2 mile) . I`ll drop 2 in one pond and head back to the fav pond and drop 3. Had 6 traps to start the season, but one steel one rotted out and was patched and then it rotted some more , so I retired it. Got 3 seasons outta it. Only buy galvy Gee`s traps now, last forever. Hopefully I`ll fill the traps today and I`ll be done trappin and waiting on ice!
i had 2 rot but seineing and umbrella net more than filled in. alewifes slo die off turtles are extremely happy mo aint :'( thought about freezin them but the turtles keep starin at me lol on another thought aquarium salt should lower the temps that water freezes thus helpin the tank stay ice free need fne's input my tank clean and clear the bait in the traps was the problem all along no poop is the scoop
GOD bless
mo

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:58 PM »
I froze a couple of dead ones for jiggin Mo. I set up a separate smaller tank to "purge" the baitfish I trap. Leave em in it for a day then move em into one of the other permanent baittanks, that way they leave all the waste behind in the "purge" tank. Not so necessary now, cuz I`m using the mesh bags to hold the bait, so the baitfish don`t really get alot to eat, but when I was using bread for bait, alot of the baitfish would get bread-bloat! Hit my fav pond again and struck out AGAIN. I noticed Iceholes also had a bad few days of trapping, musta been a moon phase, sumthing turned the lil finny guys off. I have a trap in today , but the pond dried out earlier in the sprin/summer , so I ain`t expecting much, even thou I snagged a few big goldens outta it when scouting earlier in the year, b4 the dryup.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Nov 20, 2010, 03:14 PM »
Well, I`m pullin the plug, so to speak. Trapping has never proved productive in Nov til Ice-in for me , and less productive after ice-in. I guess I`m spoiled , but if I throw 6 traps in and don`t pull sum bait, I feel like I`m wasting my time and leavin traps out there with the chance of being stolen for lil to nuttin. I have 2  tanks -35gal barrel and 55 gal barrel , one with shiners and the other with creekchubs and suckers of all sizes. Every year I learn something new about trapping bait, this year I look back and have decided to start trapping Mid-Oct . Any earlier and too many fatalities in the tanks, any later, not productive enough .Good luck to all that are still soaking traps. See ya on the ice slab.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Well, I`m pullin the plug, so to speak. Trapping has never proved productive in Nov til Ice-in for me , and less productive after ice-in. I guess I`m spoiled , but if I throw 6 traps in and don`t pull at least 5 dozen, I feel like I`m wasting my time and leavin traps out there with the chance of being stolen for lil to nuttin. I have 2  tanks -35gal barrel and 55 gal barrel and both are fairly full, one with shiners and the other with creekchubs and suckers of all sizes. Every year I learn something new about trapping bait, this year I look back and have decided to start trapping Mid-Oct . Any earlier and too many fatalities in the tanks, any later, not productive enough .Good luck to all that are still soaking traps. See ya on the ice slab.
you just keep doin it das your like a seasonal timer lol das is trappin its time to get out the nets and start castin it all works out in the end  i thought about the 2 tank method it gets like work i get a crab on no not a crawfish in the traps but one the size of a 5 gallon bucket after a night of 4 alarm chilli and a mile from the  :o :o :o shoreline  :o
GOD bless
mo

Offline maine_fisha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:48 AM »
whats the best type of waterway this time of year to catch shiners in? ponds, streams or what?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Small ponds w/ lil to no predators. I have scouted an easy 75 ponds etc in the last 4 years. I have 4 good spots that produce. There will be legwork!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.