Author Topic: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`  (Read 99106 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`
« Reply #30 on: Sep 29, 2009, 11:19 AM »
What are you guys using for holding tanks for your bait?  I'm not sure what to use?  I know that in the winter I can hold like 3 dozen shiners in my small ~2gallon styrofoam bait bucket.  They last for weeks in just that!  Now If I went to a 35 gallon storage tote they sell at Wal-Mart, I'd imagine they'd last a lot longer.  In the winter I go down to the local brook and take ~4 5 gallon buckets and fill them with water and just keep them to the side to change the water for the bait.  I don't even change the water for atleast a week or more too.
there are plastic that are toxic to fish and people i know i know just ask the pond people plastics give off chemicals so you need to know the toxic ones been reading up on fishculture ammonia airation hydrogen peroxide and beneficial bacteria additives being the most critical  water changes and temps need to be monitored and additives adjusted accordingly    mo     mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Sep 29, 2009, 12:10 PM »
Took a few pictures of the calamity.  Ended up with a couple dozen still alive.  Hope to learn from this. 

LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #32 on: Oct 19, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Das,
I think part of your original problem was adding too much salt all at once. That filter must have dissolved it completely in not time flat.

I used to use Kosher salt which is supposedly the same as pickling salt with no problems with tropical fish, never tried it with bait, always left it plain water, mostly rain water (acidic). The other possible problem you are having is the PH of the water. You want to be neutral to on the acidic side. You can get test kits from the pet shops, including ammonia kits. You can also get the float type hydrometers to measure how much salt is in the water as well.

If you go any direction in too much of a hurry you will shock the fish and cause more fatalities than necessary IMO.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline chazmatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • go fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2009, 09:56 PM »
hey das ,why dont you try a floating bait tank in pond.thats what i used to do before they out lawed it

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2009, 04:15 PM »
I actually rigged one up with a minnow trap suspended 5 feet below a float. I tossed it in and it would blow across the pond back n forth a couple of times a day. NADA! There are huge schools of common shiners in the pond, I have seen them and catch the occasional 7 incher in a trap. Never more than one thou, odd. I am pretty sure I can jig em up after freezeup. I plan on tossing traps in thru the ice also to the replenish the bait stock.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 31, 2009, 11:17 AM »
I actually rigged one up with a minnow trap suspended 5 feet below a float. I tossed it in and it would blow across the pond back n forth a couple of times a day. NADA! There are huge schools of common shiners in the pond, I have seen them and catch the occasional 7 incher in a trap. Never more than one thou, odd. I am pretty sure I can jig em up after freezeup. I plan on tossing traps in thru the ice also to the replenish the bait stock.
i think they often feed on the bottom but move up in the water column to feed on mscopic bugs ill bet a clear trap ,might work suspended my thought who knows   mo

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 31, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Tank is runnin well now, ty cool temps. My pond has shut down, I think the shiners have moved deeper and I haven`t retrieved my canoe from the camp to set the traps out deep with floats yet. I might take the ride up Monday. I rod n reeled a few chubs outta the river by the house today. Here`s a pic of the biggest one->
At least I can get plenty of them chubs. I`ll be able to jig up the big shiners when pond freezes over, I`m confident of that. I`ll sink sum traps to score smalls and mediums after freezup too.  Plenty of chubs from 5 to 12 inches->

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 31, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Tank is runnin well now, ty cool temps. My pond has shut down, I think the shiners have moved deeper and I haven`t retrieved my canoe from the camp to set the traps out deep with floats yet. I might take the ride up Monday. I rod n reeled a few chubs outta the river by the house today. Here`s a pic of the biggest one->(Image removed from quote.)
At least I can get plenty of them chubs. I`ll be able to jig up the big shiners when pond freezes over, I`m confident of that. I`ll sink sum traps to score smalls and mediums after freezup too. I have alot of smalls and medium shiners now->(Image removed from quote.) I actually lost count when I had abit of a die off when I added to much salt to the tanks and plenty of chubs from 5 to 12 inches->(Image removed from quote.) Over 50 chubs so far. I also have about 15-20 x-large shiners and big chubs that didn`t make it, (for one reason or anutha) that I tossed in the freezer.
NOW FOR THE ICE!
wow that is a big shiner we aint got anything like that here plus i found a barley based pond additive that clears the water adds tons of bacteria it innoculates your filter and is the best thing i used to date hope it helps   mo

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 01, 2009, 05:39 PM »
any one ever trap a river for bait? in the summer we got tons right up against shore and now they are gone ?
mo

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 02, 2009, 08:19 PM »
wow that is a big shiner we aint got anything like that here plus i found a barley based pond additive that clears the water adds tons of bacteria it innoculates your filter and is the best thing i used to date hope it helps   mo

Whats the pond additive called?  Where do you get it 1MOFish?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 03, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Whats the pond additive called?  Where do you get it 1MOFish?
pondcare powerpacks by mars mfg picked up at petsmart, single dose no measure 1 container  each month for a year the bacteria feed on the barley then feeds on the the minnows byproducts water is still crystal clear only got a couple dozen or so trappin gets slow when water gets cold    mo

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 04, 2009, 06:37 AM »
any one ever trap a river for bait? in the summer we got tons right up against shore and now they are gone ?
mo

We do well this time of year with seines and traps in the rivers. We find feeder creeks without a ton of current and look in shallow water that has a lot of fallen leaves on the bottom. The shiners like to hide in the leaves. It can make dragging a net a pain but there are usually a ton in the net.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #42 on: Nov 20, 2009, 02:09 PM »
There's so many shiners in the water here in Mi. I don't know how anyone can catch fish. I have a dip net, 3x3 and used it the other night, and got about 4-5 dozen on one dip. Second dip was the same way. I have these fish in a 20 gallon tank, it's kind of crowded but they seem happy.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 23, 2009, 02:50 PM »
You guys are lucky to have that many species available. I get fatheads, creek chubs and small suckers. Do you guys feed your bait? I have noticed some small minnow tails in the bottom of my tank. I dont want them to get fat and lazy, but I dont want them eating each other.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 23, 2009, 03:03 PM »
I fed the creekchubs pin shiners once a week until the water temps dropped,  I fed the shiners goldfish flakes and steriods, JKiddin about the steriods, once a week as well until water temps dropped to 40F. Now I don`t feed them at all. Be aware ifya feed ,only feed what they wil consume  in 5 minutes or so, and change the water more frequently as well because of increased fish waste.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:45 PM »
Another qestion. So are the suckers good for pike? I`m talking suckers maybe 4-6" long. They are really easy to catch. I`ve been throwing all of them back cept the first 10 or so I caught because I wanted to see if they worked. I never caught big minnows to use in winter before, and all we ever got was farmed chubs. Thanks
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 24, 2009, 03:34 PM »
I've seen TV shows where they use live suckers around 14" or so for Pike and Musky so I'd say 4"-6" suckers would get gobbled up pretty easy.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Aug 25, 2010, 01:03 PM »
I have moved from my previous residence and have my tank set-up and ready to go. Scouted several new shiner ponds to trap for summer as well as hardwater.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Sep 06, 2010, 08:52 AM »
Jumpin the Gun?? I tossed my traps (6) into one of my new spots I scouted (firepond) . Took a few casts with the rod n reel to camoflauge my activety. Half an hour later I pulled a mix of pond chubs and golden shiners and transfered them to the aerated cooler in the van and beat feet. I stay with my traps and soak them for about an hour, then pull them. Used to do the overnite soak, no more. I have lost several traps to listless lazy good for nuttin punks while scouting. Now I just fish (or act like it) while I watch the traps. They seem to be doing well in the tank, which I treated with BetterBait and Aquarium Salt to get it ready to fill. As long as the temps don`t skyrocket again, I should be ok. Crossed fingers.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Sep 12, 2010, 09:08 AM »
Hit 2 ponds today, not much luck, tank temps spiked and I lost sum bait  I had from the previous day of trapping. It was either that or the Aquarium Salt I added. I had a calamity last season losing sum baitfish because I added too much salt all at once. Slowly added it this season,but same deal on a smaller scale. I won`t use the crap again.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Sep 23, 2010, 07:14 AM »
 My lucks gutta change-at least my waxworm project seems to be in good shape-no pupae yet, but plenty of fat n happy waxies-hopefully it will work and I`ll have a thousand or so by ice-in.   Trap on Bruthas!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Sep 23, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Trapped up about 4-5 dozen mediums and smalls w/ a few large shiners. Purged em for 6 hours in an aerated cooler, then tossed em in the tank. No floaters so far , after an overnite in the tanks. (Crossed fingers)! My lucks gutta change-at least my waxworm project seems to be in good shape-no pupae yet, but plenty of fat n happy waxies-hopefully it will work and I`ll have a thousand or so by ice-in.   Trap on Bruthas!
Can you post how you are diong this and some pics? I would like to try this also... Thanks PK
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #52 on: Sep 24, 2010, 11:04 AM »
Trapped up about 4-5 dozen mediums and smalls w/ a few large shiners. Purged em for 6 hours in an aerated cooler, then tossed em in the tank. No floaters so far , after an overnite in the tanks. (Crossed fingers)! My lucks gutta change-at least my waxworm project seems to be in good shape-no pupae yet, but plenty of fat n happy waxies-hopefully it will work and I`ll have a thousand or so by ice-in.   Trap on Bruthas!

Hey Rott,

Jeeze I just sent you a PM and now replying to your message!

Sounds like your doing awesome with the waxworms! I figured I'd share with you a link for a forum of "bug people". If ever you did want some advice, or things get icky you could hop over there and I'm sure people would have some good input. Not sure how long it takes the waxies to undergo their metamorphosis but of course it's typical to slightly chill insects to slow that down. But those people collectivly would be of a lot more use than I if you ever wanted to utilize them. I spent about 4 years on the website during my days keeping venomous critters and I still check in occassionally despite the fact that I no longer keep any.

The site is http://www.venomlist.com  I'm sure if you look in the forum topics there would be a good place to discuss waxies and if not I'd throw in a post wherever you think - it's a nice crowd over there and I don't think anyone would hate.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Sep 24, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Can you post how you are diong this and some pics? I would like to try this also... Thanks PK
I`m assuming yer refering to the Waxies, PK. To be honest , I`m a newb at this, I got all my information from->http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=86070.0 and  utoob vids like ->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwq7GC1_QbQ&feature=related . I mixed up sum bedding/food and put 30 waxies in a glass jar . No pupae yet , we will see. Set mine up much like wormmans video, except I keep the mason jars in a glass aquaruim with a top. Use a reptile heater to keep the heat around 90degrees. Thanks for the link BaitWrangler, good place to get sum answers if need be.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Sep 25, 2010, 10:02 AM »
I am going shopping tomorrow to get all of the things I need to raise them. I am going to try meal worms and super worms.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Sep 26, 2010, 07:12 AM »
I am going shopping tomorrow to get all of the things I need to raise them. I am going to try meal worms and super worms.
Plenty of info on u-toob and the net . I went with the waxies, I think the mealworms are actually easier to breed. How goes filling the stainless tank? I jumped the gun and lost all that I trapped up-about 8-10 dozen down the tubes. Bumma, haste makes waste-smelly waste apparentely.Temps in the tanks hit 78-82 degrees. COME ON COOL WEATHER!!!!

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #56 on: Sep 26, 2010, 03:40 PM »
That stinks Rott! It's happened to me before too.  But hey your practicing for later this year... lets just put it that way! :P

If you can adjust your return on your tank and have the water fall from a higher spot it will help cool things off a bit.

Ed

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Sep 27, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Tank temps at 65F this morn-3 casualities from bait I trapped yesterday. Always used dry dawg food in mesh bags. Things are tight and stale bread is free, so I have been using it this year for the first time. Minnows get super bloated with the bread and require a "purging" in a separate tank b4 being introduced to the main tanks. Leave em in the "purge" tank for 6-10 hrs b4 moving to the baittanks. Water in "purge" tank (big rubbermaid style container) goes from clean to crap-filled during that time. I net em out of that mess and move em when they  are "purged". (fingers crossed)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Sep 27, 2010, 04:57 PM »
Das, Been reading your posts, got my tank up and running.  It was 90 degrees here in Pittsburgh. I had to keep telling myself over and over again. "It's too early, it's too early, it's too early!!"  Every time you post, I have to repeat it again.  Last year, was the cleanest my tank ever ran.  I attribute it to more filter material, and innoculation with the barley product.  We're pushing the limits of aqua culture, big farm operations can't carry the volume per gallon of bait that we do.  It's because to them, it's money, and to us it's mostly time.  As my life gets more hectic, time is money.  As I've been hitting the same creeks over and over each year, I pray that the minnow populations continue at their present levels.  Could you see going out for half a day and get 3 shiners.  Umh!  Anyhow, glad to see you're still doing it, once it gets cold enough for me to get in the water, I'll post again. Good catching! 
Mo

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Sep 27, 2010, 05:17 PM »
1MO, how goes it? Glad to see ya shakin off the summer. Good to hear ya gut yer 300 gallons churnin.My kids,  3 , all put a dent in my shiner haul, cuz they use em softwater too, so it`s not a total loss. I hit my ponds quite a bit for the kids and then myself later when it`s cooling down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.