Author Topic: What size hook for large dead bait?  (Read 4968 times)

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What size hook for large dead bait?
« on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:47 AM »
I'm headed out next week for big lakers. I'm after fish in the 30"+ range. On a couple of my traps I plan to use large dead bait on the bottom. The bait will be 11"-14". My thoughts were to use a short shank mustad 1/0 hook which is almost the same color as the baits skin. I've seen mixed thoughts on the bigger hooks but these seem to match the bait well as far as size and color are concerned. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the subject?
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline wyocenterpin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What size hook for large dead bait?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:18 PM »
try to small size 10 trebels tied 3'' apart put one at the base of the head and before the dorsel fin.   simlar to the way they rig herring for king salmon when mooching.   leave bail open and let them run a few feet. Reel down to the hole fast as soon as you feel it set the hook and hang on..

good luck.   

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:28 PM »
try to small size 10 trebels tied 3'' apart put one at the base of the head and before the dorsel fin.   simlar to the way they rig herring for king salmon when mooching.   leave bail open and let them run a few feet. Reel down to the hole fast as soon as you feel it set the hook and hang on..

good luck.
I was thinking of running the dead bait on tip ups but I wouldn't be against running a dead stick if you think it would be to my advantage.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:39 AM »
i use a #14 treble

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:25 AM »
i use a #14 treble
For 1-1.5lb bait?
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Open water I will run a 2/0 single in the nose a #8 treble in the dorsal and a #8 treble threaded up through the vent and the leader out the mouth which connects to the rest of the rig. This is for trolling.
For ice fishing I run 2 #8 trebles on a flouro quick strike rig.
Another thing you could try is a dead stick with a simple circle hook in the nose.
Let the fish swim off and when you think he has it good enough just start reeling until you hook up in the corner of the mouth.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Thanks man. This year I'm not using small bait. I've gotten my fill of small to mid size fish. All season will be aimed towards the bigger end of the food chain.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:06 AM »
I'd go with a 20 lb Seguar fluorocarbon quick strike rig with #2 GAMAKATSU trebles, if there's a chance at pike where you're fishing then 80 lb.  With bait that large, using 1 hook leaves a lot of the bait to be eaten or chewed on without getting hooks in the fishes mouth. 

Offline Umainefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Match hook to size of the bait. Too big is noticeable too small is likely to turn into the bait. Keep in mind that they will generally swallow dead bait head first

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:09 PM »
If I were using circle hooks with large bait, I would hook it through the back, as close to the tail as I could get, without having to worry about it pulling out.  Lakers will swallow the bait head first, so when you apply tension to the line, the hook comes out first and doesn't have as much baitfish to get in the way.  Of course, this implies you are giving the fish plenty of time to swallow the bait.  If you are catch and release oriented, circle hooks are the way to go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.