Author Topic: lake trout fishing in bathtubs  (Read 4496 times)

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
lake trout fishing in bathtubs
« on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:49 PM »
looking for some tips on where to start when looking for lakers in a "bathtub"   not a lot of points etc.         I am in rochester ,ny and have fished canadice a couple of times.....skunked..... ....want to get out there again just looking for some general tips on how to find them......will jig and set tipups.

Offline mattpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: lake trout fishing in bathtubs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:12 PM »
move until you start marking fish on electronics
Monster Stalker

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Ron:  I'd run my tip ups from pretty close to shore straight out toward deep water.  IMHO I think lakers cruise the entire water column in winter.  Set the tip ups at varying depths and be sure to put a dead bait on the bottom on one of them.  In a bathtub type lake without much structure, I suspect the lakers will cruise around a lot--just a guess.  If there are areas of the lake that drop off steeper, I'd focus my attention there.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2015, 06:14 PM »
i fish a few lakes like that. look where you're seeing the baitfish running on your electronics and set up about 5ft. above them. put a few 6in. from bottom for those bigboy bottom scavengers. from my experience with those types of lakes, the smelts suspend high, like 10ft. under the ice. the lakers are up there w/ them!

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2015, 10:04 AM »
If the square is an access point on the map - right out in front of it. You got some steep drop offs next to a deep water flat.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/25573.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.