The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First ice?  (Read 7198 times)

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
First ice?
« on: Oct 23, 2006, 08:15 AM »
I cant help seeing ice on the area ponds up in northwestern wisconsin.  Just wondering if i can get opinions from people on when you guys think first ice will be? Figured it would never be to early to start thinking.
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

PIKEGUY

Re: First ice?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2006, 08:20 AM »
I cant help seeing ice on the area ponds up in northwestern wisconsin.  Just wondering if i can get opinions from people on when you guys think first ice will be? Figured it would never be to early to start thinking.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see ice this year around the beg. to middle of Dec. Have been on at Christmas a few times in the last several years. We can hope. I have already had to bust ice with the boat to get to my duck hunting spots once this year  :D

Offline Pike Preacher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2006, 12:41 PM »
Except for last year the past 4 years I have been ice fishing second weekend of deer season..........And according to my temp calender it looks way beter this year....

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2006, 09:54 PM »
Carefully, very carefully! Step, by step! ( 3 stooge's said that a long time ago? ) I, remember watching that movie, with my DAD! He, was a 100% right! It only takes a split second to be embarrassed,hurt, or worse! A bucket of fish, or being first, isn't worth, anybody's  LIFE!  :'(  HAVE FUN, BE SAFE!  :)  :)

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2006, 11:49 PM »
i completely agree with brujharr.............. .SAFTY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!

but having said that , i still believe we'll be walking on water much earlier this year than my previous 3 up here...
im going to say november 19th , my moms birthday
if not that early , then for sure by the 1st of december

Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline frozentoes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dangit..missed 'em...again!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2006, 07:59 PM »
I am also thinking we could be really close by Thanksgiving this year. I know after falling through the ice last year, I will be walking a little more carefully this year.

Offline Pike Preacher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:00 AM »
I am hoping for Thursday November 23 early morning ice and a BIG afternoon TURKEY dinner maybe Fri the 24 but after the Turkey i will be a little heavier........

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2006, 11:09 PM »
CAREFULLY!   :-[  :'(  :-[

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2006, 07:47 PM »
Careful, what's that?   ;)  Hey y'all, watch this!! 

Seriously, I've been out as early as Nov. 4th.  Most years Thanksgiving day is all but guaranteed in this area.  The way it's going, I think this is going to be an early year.  These nasty winds we've been having are cooling the water fast, but they're really going to mess up the shallow water early ice bite if history holds true.  Hope I'm wrong.   :-\

"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2006, 01:38 AM »
Last year I put my shack on the ice on Dec. 17th. But there were a few of them out 2 weeks earlier.  We were walking out there around Thanksgiving if I remember correctly.  I write on the inside wall of my shack with a sharpie the date I actually get it out there, and I also jot it in my fishing log.  :tipup:
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2006, 10:57 AM »
The other night I was having a smoke on on my deck and looked over at the bird bath...noticed a thin layer of ice! I so excited I got my tip-ups out and started to respool them..  :tipup:
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2006, 11:06 AM »
I just want to add on cold nights i have seen ice in the bays on my hometown lake, which would be Rice Lake ;D

Offline Pike Preacher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2006, 11:51 AM »
I have checked and rechecked all my tip ups.......Went to Gander and blew $140 on ice fishing stuff.......respooled all 10 of my jiggin rods with new line......I am itching to get out real bad....I have it all planned out bag my buck on Nov 18 and be ice fishing on Mon Nov 20 and have a fresh fish fry out at deer camp on Tues November  21.....(also same date as the wife's B-day dated 5 years and just got married in June  and have not been home for a single one of her B-days....not a good subject with the In Laws......)

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2006, 06:53 AM »
have not been home for a single one of her B-days....not a good subject with the In Laws......)

What do they expect "IT'S DEER HUNTING TIME". It's the great Wisconsin Getaway :bow:  Years ago I thought "turkey" was the other white meat ;)

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Don't feel bad I got married on fishing opener 9 yrs ago at least it doesn't land on that date every year

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2006, 09:29 AM »
Well i would rather have it fishing opener than hunting.  Don't like fishing that early.  Would rather have ice.

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2006, 06:47 PM »
I went fishing on Lake Waubesa today and the locator had a water temp of 43.  It's still going to be a while before we see some good ice here in southern part of the state.

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2006, 12:08 PM »
All we need up here is a couple cold nights and we can have ice. The bays freeze over at night!!!! ;D

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2006, 10:10 PM »
I take back what I said earlier.  I drove straight through the blizzard today, and yes, it was a blizzard up near Fond Du Lac. 

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Just bought Eskimo Grand Caravan and now have it set up in the garage. (made the wife park her car in the drive way ;D) Been seeing ice on the jobite in the morning but it's been getting to warm during the day. We need a good week or two with the hi temps at or below 32. I'm hopping for around Dec.10 - 15th. It can't get cold enough fast enough for me!!!

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline mr_Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2006, 01:29 PM »
boy it sure looks like we should be getting out there soon with  all this old weather  ;D
CoRy

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2006, 02:18 PM »
2pm and its 24 degrees! I love it! ;D ;D
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline Dihardfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WISCONSIN GOATS!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2006, 03:20 PM »
I'm glad there isn't any ice yet...all the snow headed this way would stop it from forming.  Once the storm is gone....let the ice making begin!

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:57 PM »
10 degrees at 4:00Am when I left for work today

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2006, 03:12 PM »
I just came back from a "ride about."  Waushara county near Wautoma.  Foxtail bay on Big Silver has ice, Irigami is covered, Harrisville pond is covered.  I'm sure that it's not safe yet but should be by the end of the week. ;D
Shut up and fish.

Offline packmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2006, 03:20 PM »
a guy i work with walked on ice today around the Osceola area says there was about 2" easy for him, he weighs about 130lbs. I'm stuck on shore for about another week.
IF YOUR NOT GOING TO EAT IT DON'T KEEP IT !

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2006, 04:54 PM »
I'll be checking out Herd Lake (off of Long Lake) near Bloomer/New Aubern with a friend from work tomorrow! I'm not thinking that we'll be able to walk around freely without fear, it's more of a scouting trip for next weekend. 7 more days of this weather (10deg. lows 20deg highs!!!) and we'll be walking on the water ;D

My wife made the observation that I'm "only truley happy when I'm fishing" :thumbsup: (only took 6 years to figure me out :cookoo:

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2006, 05:13 PM »
I checked out Butternut Lake in Price county, 2.5" on Armstrong Bay.  The spud bar went through on one punch,,,I would bring one along.

Big W
Big W

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jig it like you mean it
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2006, 07:13 PM »
Thanks for the update Trapster. I'm prolly gonna take a ride and veryify some ice thickness tomorrow. Hoping there will be enough by tues/wed when I have some time to try it out.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2006, 08:39 PM »
Things are starting to lock up here in Oconto county!

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.