Author Topic: So, somebody "falls through"...  (Read 10242 times)

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: So, somebody "falls through"...
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:23 AM »
Best investment, I have made for hard water is a float suit.  I got the Anorakk brand, but any suit with flotation is great.
"Balance in all things"

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2017, 02:49 PM »
I have never seen anyone on the ice wearing a life jacket just to throw that out there.  I won't go out until 5 inches, but I still wear spikes and bought a striker ice suit because it makes me feel better.  Think I will get one of those throw bags now too after reading this thread.

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:11 AM »
I have never seen anyone on the ice wearing a life jacket just to throw that out there.  ...

I started wearing mine, about 3 years ago, until I can buy a float suit.  Most of the time, I feel really foolish wearing a life jacket.  Around 2 weeks ago, I was fishing a new lake with a friend, and let him try spudding the initial ice.  So he started walking out.  I started to follow and hit the spud solid and got a small trickle of water coming up.  I stopped him and had him drill a hole, 3" of ice at most.  I never felt so happy to be wearing a life jacket as on the 30 foot walk back to shore. 

I know growing up, no one even thought to wear a life jacket on the ice from what I remember.  Now, until I get a float suit, I'll just suck up feeling a bit foolish with the extra safety if I'm wrong on the ice condition.

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Well its been awhile since anyone has posted.
I live in North West Alaska if your by yourself, you will have to self rescue.
Ice can be pretty tricky till late December.
Sea ice can bust up with warm temps, and heavy winds, or overflow on the surface like crazy,  tide fed lagoons are another, in narrow channels where the current keeps Ice thin is another.
Some folks drive ATV's on rivers and lakes and best to never assume its good just  ecause you used the same trail last week that its still good, warming trends create allot of havioc with Ice safety.
Local folks that want to fish the early ice for Tomcod usually venture out using a toke (local version of a Ice Spud) they chop a series of test holes to test thickness.

There are a few good youtube videos on Ice safety and self rescue.
I'll post them but who know's how long they will work.

There was a Minnesota DNR video on what to do if your vehicle goes through the Ice  keep windows open, seat belts off, exit the vehiles immediately as the engine tips the nose the vehicle down inverting the car, which will settle into the muddy botton upside down, its  best to exit right away so your not traped by the ice overhead and possible drifting away from the only exit hole overhead.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D5gOW8ZaYqHA&ved=0ahUKEwjfq76TqPvXAhVG5WMKHccqBcIQo7QBCB4wAQ&usg=AOvVaw0296e57GZK_TmMP2zipupE

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DDyBVWrqvkEg&ved=0ahUKEwjL0_ygqPvXAhVN52MKHcNgB8c4ChCjtAEIIzAE&usg=AOvVaw2wRlt_TZUcKz50JH-kb1tN

One good method is Google videos of Dr Gordon Gesbrick.

Offline Ethan C

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We need some ice!!!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:53 PM »
I don’t think anyone has mentioned this yet...
A spud bar is the best piece of ice safety equipment!!!!!
A float suit, life jacket, or picks only help you once you’re in the water, a spud bar tells you the thickness of the ice you’re about to step onto. A good solid hit with water coming up is about 2” with most spud bars. A good solid hit with the end going right through is less then 2”, that means stay off!!!.
Where's the ice bro?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:09 PM »
What then? Assuming they get out...

Ask them if thell be needing that bait, because you're way, way, not as, er, um, tallwide gesture..... ;D

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.