Author Topic: team snow Leopard derby reort  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
team snow Leopard derby reort
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:22 AM »
This year I teamed up with Salmonemia for the annual beating known as the rotary derby.
With the forecast of heavy winds, I had to change my plan that I had been working to plan C, having 30 years of fishing on this lake allowed me to make a wise choice on where we could hide and still catch a fish or 2.
Friday greeted us with rain but nice conditions otherwise,we managed a few yellow perch,a few white perch,  smallmouth and a 26" pickerel that was returned to the water because my reputation is worth more to me than cheating My Way to a prize.
I listened to the wind roar all night, and honestly, if I had been alone. I would have stay in bed.
We hit the ice at 5:30,the ride across the lake was unpleasant to say the least,  with my pop up still intact we set up and had a pretty good day,through it all we iced a bunch of whites, the biggest 1.6lbs,some nice yellows right around the derby minimum a few smallies and a chubby little rainbow..we fished until sunset,
Sunday, we were in the ice about 5:45,the winds much kinder we moved  around a little but the bite was a slow grind, we got a white at first light  but that was it for them,we iced a few yellows and the ever aggressive smallies returned...I cooked us a burger out on the open ice as we wound down a fun weeked.
The derby is what you make it, it's never easy, it never will be this year will go into my memory of one of the top 5
thanks Wane,I had a blast, your presence made me work just a little bit harder.
Pictures to follow
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: team snow Leopard derby reort
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:32 AM »
Nice job fellas! I look forward to the pics. We fished Friday-Sunday as well. It was hell, what derby isn’t though. None I’ve been a part of, been screwed by weather every time I’ve fished this one lol!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:34 AM »

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:36 AM »
Sorry for the double post of the fish pile.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:49 AM »
You're a better man than me, Gunga Din! Great to see you guys tough it out no matter what...the howling winds would have been my cue to pull the covers up tighter.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:51 AM »
Nice!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:58 AM »
You're a better man than me, Gunga Din! Great to see you guys tough it out no matter what...the howling winds would have been my cue to pull the covers up tighter.
I haven't felt this beat it up since I stopped going iron man competitions,14 years ago

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:46 AM »
Thanks Joe Thanks for the report, Had a great time. Definitely a hardcore few days, glad we got a picture of that slimedart. I am currently in the process of adding more eye bolts, no more slip and slide action of our sleds I hope.   
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:37 AM »
Great report, too bad that big pick was early to breakfast. I hear ya on going plan C... I was halfway to my Crappie spot a 1000 feet into the wide open when the wind grabbed the bayrunner hard and folded my towbar around one of my back tires... on to plan B... get closer to shore around a bend and find a group on top of my plan B... slowly limp along to plan C where I found solitude but few fish.... Plan A resets next year lol.
Worst wind I've ever fished in be it on a boat or the ice....
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Thanks Joe Thanks for the report, Had a great time. Definitely a hardcore few days, glad we got a picture of that slimedart. I am currently in the process of adding more eye bolts, no more slip and slide action of our sleds I hope.
I'm going to.make some detachable runners to help with the tracking.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:03 PM »
Great work by you both....totally Hardcore  :thumbsup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Great report and pics, Joe.
You and Wayne are hardcore!
Those conditions will definitely make for some stories around future campfires...

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Thanks for the report Joe - glad you and Wayne were able to enjoy the cool breeze...

Kind of surprised your grill would even keep a flame going in that breeze.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:39 PM »
Thanks for the report Joe - glad you and Wayne were able to enjoy the cool breeze...

Kind of surprised your grill would even keep a flame going in that breeze.
actually was easy sat, sunday was harder no tent set up, he mcgeivered it. He failed to tell me I had a big glob of yellow mustard on my bibs, lol was there for a while too.  ;D
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:29 PM »
actually was easy sat, sunday was harder no tent set up, he mcgeivered it. He failed to tell me I had a big glob of yellow mustard on my bibs, lol was there for a while too.  ;D
That's cause I didn't have my glasses on!and thought it was fish poop, and fish poop lends character to the bibs

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:30 PM »
Lmao! Yes, pay heed to the man covered in fish biproduct, for he likely knows what he’s doing. Just like when you see a man in the woods with a single shot rifle  ;)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Great outing you two! You're right Joe, it is what you make of it!
Great cameraderie helps out during derby time for sure. I went solo this year, no biggie as I fish solo alot.  But Proved tougher on me than other years.
I haven't felt this beat it up since I stopped going iron man competitions,14 years ago
Boy i feel your pain there! It was one of the tougher ones on the body this year. Still hurtin.
Thanks for the share.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:36 PM »
Lmao! Yes, pay heed to the man covered in fish biproduct, for he likely knows what he’s doing. Just like when you see a man in the woods with a single shot rifle  ;)
So true!
Wayne, food on your bibs gets more common with age.
When you really need a bib, you're really getting old.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:40 PM »
Great story! Thanks for sharing.
Tough weekend for sure   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.