Author Topic: Super loose spool issue  (Read 2014 times)

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
Super loose spool issue
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:39 PM »
Hey guys was hoping y'all might have a few tricks for me.... I have these vintage tip-ups which I love , but if a fish takes off at Mach 6 the reel spins so fast it overspins and doubles up on itself and gets snagged... Actually when that happens it's really good at setting the hook all by itself , but the trap gets smashed around violently... not good... You guys got any tips on how to slow down the reel a little bit? They have nails in them but I got screws and hardware but nothing's working right(be another topic)Thanks and tight lines

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Re: Super loose spool issue
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:50 PM »
You may want to consider using a stainless bolt to hold on the spool.  Maybe you could drill a hole through the wooden down piece for the bolt to pass through.  Then you could use a small piece of vinyl tubing to space out the spool and use a washer and wing nut to add drag to the spool.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:05 AM »
Couple things to do,first be sure your spool is filled to 1/8" from the top,by keeping the spool full you will slow it down substantially, and will also alow the trigger to trip easier of this doesn’t yield the result you want, through drill the nail  hole,and install a stainless steel button head screw, you will need one 3 1/2"  long,also you will need a nylon lock nut and washer ,if you go stainless grease the shaft before winding on the nut, some spools will require a 3/16 bolt,others 1/4..you will have to modify the nylon spacer so your trip tang still activates the trigger, this can be done with a belt sander or a sanding disc on a drill, lastly you will need a self locking wing nut that will hold Your spool  and also can be used to adjust the tension applied to the spool, I've built/repaired dozens of tip ups this way, I've found 1/4 hardware easiest to come by and drill everything to match,,anything you can't find local can be bought at McMaster carr, even nylon/plastics spacers.

Good luck.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:47 AM »
Try putting a small compression spring between the frame and spool. A small nylon washer between the spring and reel will cut friction. With the right tension, it will slow the free spool effect without too much drag on the reel.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:20 AM »
I'm only slightly familiar with this style of tipup. Looking at your your pic I have a question: What holds that spool on the shaft? It appears as if there were something (washer at least) by the marks on the spool. But no threads for a nut or groove for a clip.

Too bad it's not threaded. A nylon wingnut and washer would give you the ability to adjust the "drag" while resisting loosening. Got that on my Windlass tippys and it works very well. You could also tighten it all the way down to lock the spool when you pick up. If the shaft was the "right size" I'd grab a thread cutting die and spin some threads on.

Just read back through replies. Roccus has been down this road (sounds like more than a few times) and has great advice. :thumbsup: Not everyone is equipped to tinker at that level but there's plenty of info there to tune your trap.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:23 AM »
Roccus has been down this road (sounds like more than a few times) and has great advice. :thumbsup: Not everyone is equipped to tinker at that level but there's plenty of info there to tune your tilt.
Times Two!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:55 PM »
Artic and Roccus have you covered !

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:26 AM »
That spool looks like its about to fly off!
I can't even see how it is held on. But I agree, I think I would be reworking the setup to use a bolt.
Also I'd like to add, many reels have a peg that sticks out on the outside face of the reel. It's purpose is to provide drag in the water to slow the reel down. That's how Jack's traps work without a drag setup.
You could consider adding something, maybe a dome headed allen screw inserted from the inside out, held with a nut. The smooth head wouldn't interfere with the line. You could add a wingnut if you wanted more drag.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Hey guys was hoping y'all might have a few tricks for me.... I have these vintage tip-ups which I love , but if a fish takes off at Mach 6 the reel spins so fast it overspins and doubles up on itself and gets snagged... Actually when that happens it's really good at setting the hook all by itself , but the trap gets smashed around violently... not good... You guys got any tips on how to slow down the reel a little bit? They have nails in them but I got screws and hardware but nothing's working right(be another topic)Thanks and tight lines

Looks as if the head of the bolt snapped off ???     40Ups has a kit  to replace spool screws as well as other kits to upgrade...I’d check their website    www.40uptackle.com
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:29 AM »
Thank you so much guys very helpful... I tried to find bolts but all I could find was screws and I put the screw through and then I put the spacer and then the reel ... And then here's the issue I put a wing nut on there and when I tighten it up to put some pressure and resistance on the spool, when the spool spins it actually tightens the wingnut until the reel doesn't spin at all... I can catch fish but man I wish I was more handy... Appreciate y'all

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:10 PM »
Thank you so much guys very helpful... I tried to find bolts but all I could find was screws and I put the screw through and then I put the spacer and then the reel ... And then here's the issue I put a wing nut on there and when I tighten it up to put some pressure and resistance on the spool, when the spool spins it actually tightens the wingnut until the reel doesn't spin at all... I can catch fish but man I wish I was more handy... Appreciate y'all
That's because you did not use a locki wing nut, you need to purchase a locking wing nut so .it won't tighten on its own

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:07 PM »
Typically when I get super loose spool it’s because I had too much fruit

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:55 PM »
That's because you did not use a locki wing nut, you need to purchase a locking wing nut so .it won't tighten on its own
Yes, This ^ or if you can't find a locking wing nut, put a nut behind a non locking wing nut and tighten them up hard together. You can use a lock washer in between also. Stainless steel or brass is beneficial. You can find SS at any decent hardware store.

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:38 AM »
thank you very much guys you know what's crazy is I've been to home Depot and three or four other hardware stores and even online and I can't seem to find a bolt that has threading on one end ... I ordered the heritage  accessories but guess what of course they didn't fit ... then I said screw the bolt and just got the screws and spacers I will try those last two ideas ... I need a locking wing nut or I need a bolt to screw tightly next to the wing nut that doesn't lock or I need to find a spring but I don't think the spring will help with the wing nut rotation.... Also the screw will stick out about a half an inch would you guys lop that off or would you leave it there? Going to try to find some time to fix these darn things appreciate ya ... Tight lines

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:30 AM »
Bring the whole thing into a good local hardware store and tell them what you are trying to accomplish - if it is like the one around me - the staff there will hook you up with what you need.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:52 AM »
thank you very much guys you know what's crazy is I've been to home Depot and three or four other hardware stores and even online and I can't seem to find a bolt that has threading on one end ... I ordered the heritage  accessories but guess what of course they didn't fit ... then I said screw the bolt and just got the screws and spacers I will try those last two ideas ... I need a locking wing nut or I need a bolt to screw tightly next to the wing nut that doesn't lock or I need to find a spring but I don't think the spring will help with the wing nut rotation.... Also the screw will stick out about a half an inch would you guys lop that off or would you leave it there? Going to try to find some time to fix these darn things appreciate ya ... Tight lines
This such an easy fix I'll do a pictorial on how to fix this for you. Probably not until wednesday,

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Or I can do you one better, I don't know where you live, I live in Mass 15 minutes north of Boston. You bring it to me and I'll fix it.i probably have everything I need in Stock

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Wow really? Roccus u ROCKKKK!!! I'm in Mass 15min. north of Boston too!!! 🤔🤔🤔 ...and I will gladly compensate u for ur time 👍👍👍...

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Really got to love this site when things like this happen!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Class act Joe!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Exactly.... Unbelievable
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Wow really? Roccus u ROCKKKK!!! I'm in Mass 15min. north of Boston too!!! 🤔🤔🤔 ...and I will gladly compensate u for ur time 👍👍👍...
I do not need compensation,  just pay the good deed forward, this week's crazy, but if you are available Saturday afternoon, you can come over and I'll fix it.im not fishing until Monday.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Great Guy That Rock!  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:31 PM »
X2

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Everything in stock, I'll mill the spacer for perfect fit

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Everything in stock, I'll mill the spacer for perfect fit

;)
I do not need compensation,  just pay the good deed forward
Now, that's class!  :thumbsup:

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:24 PM »
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:06 PM »
What a guy 👏👏👏 I am in your debt sir... Maybe we can hit the hardwater together sometime since it seems we r neighbors hahaha... Appreciate ya Much👍...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:14 PM »
I don't even know you but Roccus gets a and... 

And I believe this would be appropriate:

Viva IS and nice work Roccus!  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:20 PM »
I second that notion 👍👍

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.