Author Topic: 4.5 Inch auger for perch?  (Read 4180 times)

FOM333

4.5 Inch auger for perch?
« on: Nov 26, 2020, 03:11 AM »
Sorry to bother you fine folks here, just wanted to see if anyone could help me decide on an ice auger size. I'm only going to be fishing perch. Has anyone had issues pulling perch through a 4.5 inch hole? How bad is hole freeze up? It'll probably be close to -20C some days that I'm out. Should I just go for a 6" so I don't have to worry? I'd like to be quite mobile when I fish so a smaller auger would be great if I can get away with it. Thanks, any input is appreciated.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: 4.5 Inch auger for perch?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2020, 03:40 AM »
First, with temps that cold, any size hole will freeze eventually. I actually use a 4" so your 4.5" would be fine.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2020, 04:06 AM »
I would go 6".

just because your fishing perch doesnt mean you wont catch something bigger.  can you imagine having a nice pike looking up at you under a 4" hole. lol not even a gaff could help you.  a good cordless drill and a 6" auger is a run and gun perch dream package. 

and welcome first poster

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2020, 09:29 AM »
 FOM333 welcome to Ice Shanty. I'm in agreement with Iceassin if you catch a larger fish might not get it through a 4.5 inch hole. In the temperatures you fish in holes will ice over quickly a 6 inch auger gives you a little more time before you have to clear the hole. Also please don't worry about bothering anyone on this website site I've found the majority of members are happy to help other ice fisherman.

Have a good Holiday and ice fishing season.
 Steve

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2020, 09:32 AM »
If the lake being fished is predominantly all perch a 4” auger rocks.easy to hand crank and good for punching alot of hole without fatigue.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2020, 09:42 AM »
If the lake being fished is predominantly all perch a 4” auger rocks.easy to hand crank and good for punching alot of hole without fatigue.
[/quote)
 X2

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2020, 09:46 AM »
I have a 5in. and a 7in lazer on a cordless drill the 5 is for pannies  the 7 is for tipup fishing. That size hole will be fine no matter how cold for perch. You can run and gun all day with that auger.welcome to the site

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2020, 09:49 AM »
If you are going to be using any electronics, I foresee tangles galore in that size hole. Might drill another hole beside it for your transducer to make things easier. Just a thought.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

FOM333

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2020, 11:23 AM »
Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome! And of course thanks for all the input! I think I'll grab a 4.5 inch. Chances of me hooking a pike in the waters I'll be fishing are low enough that I'm willing to take my chances for the energy I'll be saving. Thanks again everyone and good luck on the ice!

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2020, 02:58 PM »
I ran a 5" for a long time, still have it for early ice or when in packing light. No problems with pulling panfish through, including jumbo perch, just have to usually pull the transducer, or drill a second hole if you're in deep enough water

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2020, 03:14 PM »
I've used a 5" for some monster perch, never had an issue. Transducer doesn't tangle anymore than with using a 6"

Catchin' Fish

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2020, 06:19 PM »
I use a 41/2" Nils most times.  If Ive set on a good perch location I drill a second hole for the ducer. I also have a 6" Nils  when I hope for bigger fish BUT the small drill is so light and fast!  Don't let the big gun fishermen make you feel insecure.
They drag their gear behind a machine.
Dick

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2020, 07:22 PM »
I ran a 5" for a long time, still have it for early ice or when in packing light. No problems with pulling panfish through, including jumbo perch, just have to usually pull the transducer, or drill a second hole if you're in deep enough water

I still run a Strikemaster 5". Today I attached it to the power head of my Ion. It came with an 8" auger which is too big for what I fish for.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2020, 06:24 AM »
FOM333 welcome to Ice Shanty. I'm in agreement with Iceassin if you catch a larger fish miht not get it through a 4.5 inch hole. In the temperatures you fish in holes will ice over quickly a 6 inch auger gives you a little more time before you have to clear the hole. Also please don't worry about bothering anyone on this website site I've found the majority of members are happy to help other ice fisherman.

Have a good Holiday and ice fishing season.
 Steve
This is right on about the folks that hang out on this site! You are not likely to find a more helpful group of folks anywhere!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline redzmvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2020, 01:28 AM »
I used to use nothing but a 4" when fishing perch on the Madison lakes.But when I got a Hondex flasher,I found out that not all fish are at the bottom of the abyss.Started catching nice white bass and they would get stuck in that 4" hole.So a 6" became my universal choice.Kept an 8" for trout/salmon on Lake Michigan. 

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:15 PM »
I would go 6".

just because your fishing perch doesnt mean you wont catch something bigger.  can you imagine having a nice pike looking up at you under a 4" hole. lol not even a gaff could help you.  a good cordless drill and a 6" auger is a run and gun perch dream package. 

and welcome first poste

x2

6” auger with a dewalt cordless you can drill holes in 12”  ice all day long.    and the 6” is big enough for a transducer or a chubby walleye or pike

i had trouble with a 5” as i could not feed my aqua vu fish cam thru it lol

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2021, 04:17 PM »
I assume you are asking about the 4.5 Nils- that is the only 4.5 I know of. I fish perch, and have pulled many 2lb perch out of a 4.5 inch hole. I did use a 4 inch auger before electric drills, and did stick some in that hole that I could not budge. I went to the 4.5 inch Nils, and have never had one not make it through. You will lose more, especially if you fish baits with multiple trebles- sometimes the free one catches on the edge of the hole, and the fish can use that slack to get off. You will also gain some- those that fall off after they start up the hole can not turn around, and you can fish them out by hand without even having to rush.
If you drill by hand, there is no better perch auger then the 4.5 Nils in my opinion. I took mine out once this year for fun even though I have 2 drills dedicated to ice fishing. If worked as well as always.
My normal auger the last 4 years is a 5 inch Lazer. Fast and efficient, and about a foot shorter than the Nils. If the ice gets too thick, the Nils comes out for the rest of the year.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2021, 05:23 AM »
I fish perch most of the time with a 4.5 finbor auger.i can drill holes all day with a dewalt drill and one 6 amp hr. Battery. I usually drill two holes one for transducer and one for fishing. Welcome to the site.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2021, 12:00 PM »
I fish perch most of the time with a 4.5 finbor auger.i can drill holes all day with a dewalt drill and one 6 amp hr. Battery. I usually drill two holes one for transducer and one for fishing. Welcome to the site.

That is another advantage I forgot about- (2) 4.5 inch holes are less ice, and therefore less power, than (1) 6 inch hole. You will tangle up in your transducer less, unless you put out too much cable and it sticks well below the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.