The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Check on your camps!  (Read 2543 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Check on your camps!
« on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Hadn't been to camp all winter unfortunately.  A neighbor had been emailing me off and on to say it "looked fine".  Metal roof, hadn't been worried with someone watching it.  Head out to day to get my sugaring equipment stored there.  Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw 4' of snow over the whole roof, spots closer to 5'! :o. How that hadn't collapsed, heavy wind blown snow, 2x4 trusses, 2' o.c., 5/8 wafer board.  Luckily, had thought to bring a shovel and ladder was there just in case.  Tackled the camp, garage, and woodshed, feel like I was one rainstorm away from total collapse.  Feel damn lucky...... but some sore. ;D

If you are from the mid coast - Downeast, might want to give them a look. :tipup:

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Check on your camps!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Glad you got to it before it collapsed!
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Good that it worked out ok. That would be a big loss.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Thanks Brenda and Wayne, I feel very, very lucky to have caught it in time no matter how sore.  I don't know how much more it would have taken, can't imagine much.  Moral of the story - dont rely on neighbors! ;D

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Thanks Brenda and Wayne, I feel very, very lucky to have caught it in time no matter how sore.  I don't know how much more it would have taken, can't imagine much.  Moral of the story - dont rely on neighbors! ;D

My son and I have been shoveling roofs the last few weeks....I know how back breaking it is. :'(
We've seen lots of camps with lots of snow, and say, it's only a matter of time before it collapses.
We offered to do our neighbors roof(She's from Mass. and only comes up on weekends) only going to charge $100....but she said , No!
Well if we get any more snow or rain, she might have regrets on that.. She has at least 3-4 ft on the roof now! Her problem now!
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2015, 04:58 PM »
I made one of these !!!     Its the way to go

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:02 PM »

If I had only had that small amount of snow I wouldn't have even bothered. ;D. Slick rig. @)

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:08 PM »
My son and I have been shoveling roofs the last few weeks....I know how back breaking it is. :'(
We've seen lots of camps with lots of snow, and say, it's only a matter of time before it collapses.
We offered to do our neighbors roof(She's from Mass. and only comes up on weekends) only going to charge $100....but she said , No!
Well if we get any more snow or rain, she might have regrets on that.. She has at least 3-4 ft on the roof now! Her problem now!

My 32 yr-old son has encountered a similar response down here. Like you said, Brenda, it's their problem now. They want their roofs and decks shovelled for "peanuts".

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:14 PM »
If I had only had that small amount of snow I wouldn't have even bothered. ;D. Slick rig. @)

Yep I do a few passes when its thick . still better then a roof rake and I'm not getting on the roof

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:31 PM »
I heard of neighbors paying $ 800.00  for a crew to clear off a large roof.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:39 PM »
I heard of neighbors paying $ 800.00  for a crew to clear off a large roof.

I heard of a lakeshore home owner who paid $600 for 3 guys to work 2 hours to clear off a roof.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:29 PM »

What you can't see on that rake is some small wheels on the bottom of the rake, that keeps the sharp edge off shingles. They have one they call "Avalanche", my brother has ordered one because he does roofs.

I don't have any sympathy for anyone that's able to clean their roof & it collapses. I feel bad for the elderly that aren't able and can't afford to hire someone.
I did the edge of the roof for the lady up the road, all her vents were plugged!!! She's not able & has no money.
Like Eric says, it's going to get worst when that snow turns to ice & then the weight will come with it.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline kivva king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2015, 06:36 PM »
I heard of a lakeshore home owner who paid $600 for 3 guys to work 2 hours to clear off a roof.

That's the number down here! 100 bucks an hour per man!!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:00 AM »

That's the number down here! 100 bucks an hour per man!!!!

Awesome.  I get to buy myself $300 worth of new fishing gear and the wife can't say boo! ;D

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:01 AM »
The Avalanche works great as long as the snow is fresh. If it is packed way down or has melted a bit and frozen it won't work
because it is plastic and somewhat flimsy. It works by being pushed up the roof so is much easier than having to keep lifting
a conventional roof rake. It is expensive.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:10 AM »
roofs clear and the front door is secure ;D

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:19 AM »
I hear ya'.  I'm worried about mine on Alligator, but figured the 3+ mile snowmobile ride through 3-4 ft. of powder was impossible, and I'm too old and out of shape to try it on snowshoes.  Hoping for some warm weather with no rain. 

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:28 AM »
I made mine just like this guys . His are a little spendy . I have about 10 bucks and a couple hours work in mine .
http://www.allagashroofrakes.com/arr133_002.htm

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:33 AM »
Did you notice any sign of settling or movement of the building on the inside of the camp?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Did you notice any sign of settling or movement of the building on the inside of the camp?

Great question.  I'll tell you how close I think I was to problems, the gable end door would not open before I shovelled the roof, fine after.  One rain storm and I was toast. :'( 

I did not have a camera yesterday but this is a pic the only other time I have to shovel it.  Add 12-18" to what you see. ;D  That time I even had the drunk Undertaker to help out, not like yesterday's solo mission!

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Your first mistake was not bringing the drunk undertaker.  He is an animal.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:05 PM »
I'm headed up to my camp tomorrow up near Jackman and I hope everything looks good...been a few weeks since I have been up and things didn't look too bad then.  I feel like I may be doing some shoveling though.  :-\

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2015, 08:40 AM »

roland charette up here in ft. kent invented that 10yrs. ago. even patented it. sells them all over the country. only diff. w/ his is he uses a heavy tarp section instead of plastic. they work great if you clean the roof every heavy storm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.