Author Topic: How many of you make money off fishing?  (Read 3462 times)

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
How many of you make money off fishing?
« on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Just curious how many people make money off of fishing. If so what do you do? Rod building, making lures, guiding, rentals etc.
Splaker

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How many of you make money off fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:53 AM »
I work in Cabelas fishing department if that counts  @)
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:57 AM »
how many people make money off of fishing on here.

Pretty sure you cant make money "on here" unless your a sponsor....   ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:00 PM »
there is a commercial fishing market here. would be hard to show a real profit after expenses though.

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:01 PM »
Im not referring to making money off the back of the ice shanty website. Im simply asking if any people make money off of their hobby. Sorry for the confusion.
Splaker

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:05 PM »
  Pretty sure you cant make money "on here" unless your a sponsor....   ;)

I'm guessing that the curiosity is how many that do something fishing related outside of here for gain.

Over the years I've sold bucktails and leaders for musky fishing, hundreds of tipup rigs, open water jigs, cleaned/repaired reels and rods, repacked tipups, worked retail in a tackle shop for a dozen years and dabbled in tournament fishing. Ain't standin' the world on it's ear doing tourneys but I'm $$ ahead  ;)2.

None of this was making me a living, all done outside of a "real job". I think that applies to lots of folks.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Sorry no problem.
I have made a few hundred dollars fishing bass tournaments every summer..
One summer i made 3grand...
Dont do it as much anymore..  :-\

Offline Dima

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:22 PM »
I saw a documentary in which the interviewed anglers told that they making money fishing for Northern Pikeminnow in the lower Columbia River. Some even make a living of it. It a program to save salmon juveniles that pays up to $8 per fish. If someone finds that interesting - read the info on pikeminnow.org and search for online documentaries about restoring the population of salmon in Oregon.
Fish Species Hunt - http://fish.aseev.com | My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/aseev

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:35 PM »
I saw something on that, some people actually made quite a bit of money doing that.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:04 PM »
I buy,sell,trade fishing gear all year long.also sell sinkers,steelhead jigs and bass plastics.along with penn and abu garcia reel repair.

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:09 PM »
Spent two years guiding in alaska. The saying do what you love and never work a day in your life is only true to a point then it becomes work again!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Spent two years guiding in alaska. The saying do what you love and never work a day in your life is only true to a point then it becomes work again!

Guiding is a LOT of work... Had a license for a coupla years and took overflow from the shop. I liked it until you get the problem client. Still a lot of work and it does kinda take the fun out of it.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Worked in fishing retail for about 15 years and fished walleye tournaments for about 25. We had good sponsors for the tournaments so almost all of our expenses were covered so made a few bucks there. When underwater cameras first came out I was working in fishing retail and many customers would complain about not being able to keep the camera lined up on their lure. I made a simple T bracket with a clamp on it and sold quite a few just the first winter. The next year there were a couple of plastic models that came out so my T bracket was short lived.

I spent but also saved a ton of money when I was working fishing retail. We got a descent discount on product but the big saving was every year there were "staff sales" and we got huge discounts when we ordered directly from the manufacturers. This happened only once a year but we picked from 3-5 manufacturers every year. This product was for personal use only and it was made pretty clear that if anyone was caught selling "staff sale" product for profit the staff sales would end. I managed to upgrade all my fishing gear rods, reels, trolling motor, sonar, tackle, clothing, tackle boxes, lures, so that definitely saved me a pile of money.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2019, 02:07 PM »
The thing is when a hobby becomes a job its just not fun anymore..   :-\  JMO.

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Just curious as I have more free time on my hands as I get older. Don't want to make anything into a full time job as
I already have one of those. Looking to have a little fun maybe learn something new and Maybe even offset some costs. Thought about a job in a fishing shop but my schedule wouldn't be good for that. Was thinking maybe rod building or perhaps getting into bait production.
Splaker

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:11 PM »
I have always wanted to open a bait and tackle shop but have someone else work it lol I like fishing to much.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline cutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:20 PM »
I make baits mostly balsa crank bait and a few rattle spoons also I make leather walleye billfolds

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:09 PM »
Im retired now, but back when I took a vacation day to fish, I figured I was getting paid to fish.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Chute82

« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:16 PM »
Taught fly tying and fishing classes at a university for a few yrs and even taught inmates at a state prison. tied for fly shops in the area for many years and sold a ton of flies to guys fishing my property.  Even had my own website selling flies and tied for several saltwater and Alaska lodges.  Got tough as the 2000’s approached, China would sell them to the shops dirt cheap and the shops wanted me to lower my prices.  So they went with China and when the bins got low my phone started to ring before a big weekend to restock and I just let it ring or tell them to call China.Got a real 9-5 job and now only tie flies for friends and family.  Do miss getting hooks by the 1000 ct and materials at cost

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:34 PM »
I use to sell shad darts and egg sinkers I made.my dad use to tie flies for a living he did it for 40 plus years. He passed 8yrs ago and I have everything , just not enough time and patience to start making flies again.

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:44 PM »
Wait! You can make money off of fishing? Please don't tell my wife!
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2019, 06:08 PM »
I have always wanted to open a bait and tackle shop but have someone else work it lol I like fishing to much.

Lotsa, lotsa, lotsa work and time. Almost impossible to make a go unless you do the bulk of the hours. Seven days a week, weekends, holidays, can't be open too early or too late. It's a ba11 buster and no one is gettin' rich doin' it.

Support your local Mom n Pop shop!  :thumbsup:

Wait! You can make money off of fishing? Please don't tell my wife!

Not that much and if it's a side job she'll just finds ways to spend it before you do.  ::)

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2019, 06:29 PM »

Not that much and if it's a side job she'll just finds ways to spend it before you do.  ::)
[/quote]

I think she already has :o
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:56 PM »
I think I have lost money, but gets me out of the house and makes me move

so it might help my health so then maybe I am breaking even

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:31 PM »
I try and buy my fishing gear on sale..........that’s kinda like making money ;)

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:21 PM »
also I make leather walleye billfolds
Leather walleye billfolds? Sounds pretty neat!

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:19 PM »
Guiding is a LOT of work... Had a license for a coupla years and took overflow from the shop. I liked it until you get the problem client. Still a lot of work and it does kinda take the fun out of it.

Pretty much the same with me.  I had a full time job but my summers it consisted on working on special projects, assessment reports, etc. Three months of work I could cram into a long weekend so I hung the shingle and started guiding thinking it would be a way to make some money doing something I loved to do. 

First year was fine, 2nd year wore on me a bit, the third year burned me out. It wasn't so much working with clients on their day as much as it was needing to be on the water any chance I got staying on top of patterns.  I reached a point where I simply despised being on the water because my hobby turned into a job and felt like a job. 

Plus...I'm an "outside the box" thinker when it comes to muskie fishing.  The box I'm thinking outside of resides half a dozen time zones away...always trying to look for a unique edge or undiscovered territory in regards to a tactic.  98% of the time you swing and miss but the other 2% of the time you strike gold.  This limited what I did with clients to real basic stuff and to me taking a "monkey see, monkey do" approach is boring. 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:00 PM »
The way I make money off ice fishing is I fill my freezer with a fish supply that usually lasts from ice season to ice season and the money I would have to spend to buy fish stays in the checking acct. 

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:30 PM »
The way I make money off ice fishing is I fill my freezer with a fish supply that usually lasts from ice season to ice season and the money I would have to spend to buy fish stays in the checking acct.

Child please.  So you don't have any possession limit on the fish you catch?  Your equipment doesn't cost anything, your bait, your vehicle to get there, your gas, c'mon man!

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:29 AM »
I have made quite a bit of money fishing in tournaments. A lot of my techniques and tricks I have learned from this web site.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.