Author Topic: Blackstrap 2019/20  (Read 67233 times)

gman51

Blackstrap 2019/20
« on: Nov 07, 2019, 12:34 PM »
 checking ice conditions this week and today and found 3-4"of good ice out to some good target depths i like to fish. lines will be wet tomorrow for me. and to all who are venturing out soon or this weekend be smart be safe. these are only my observations in certain areas of the lake. good luck.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blackstrap 2019/20
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Hi Rip:

I was thinking I might beat you out this year, but heading out tomorrow to hunt mule deer for the weekend.  It will
be good a safe to walk out next week when I am back.

By that time you should have all the honey holes marked.

Good luck tomorrow.  Will watch for your post.

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Hey guys,

First time posting and relative newbie to ice fishing. I fished 4 or 5 times blackstrap last year with mediocre luck. I discovered this forum after the season and have been looking forward to this year since.

Looking forward to everything and anything I can learn. Good luck out there and be safe.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:58 PM »
no delays for this guy.. ;) been checking ice conditions this week and today and found 3-4"of nice dark ice out to some good target depths i like to fish.
Thanks for the update. It 4" of ice at the south dam. It's walkable.

gman51

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:00 PM »
A great day for the first hard water trip of the season. out for pretty well a full day weather was awesome and the ice was in good shape 3-4” in the areas fished. Temps look good for awhile for putting some thickness to the ice. Perch and walleyes were caught off and on all day and picked up towards sunset. Nice to be out putting all the gear in action. looking forward to another great season.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Had a great day my first trip out on the ice. Was out from 11am to 4pm managed to land close to 30 perch and a lone pike. Kept a couple for fish fry. Ice was bout 4” and stable.

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2019, 03:11 PM »
First trip out this morning, I fished at the south dam from 8-11am. Was about 16 feet deep and the ice was 5 inches or more. Marked fish all morning and had fairly steady perch action. Also got one pike. Kept 4 perch for eating.
Saw one other tent out near me and noticed two tents by the boat launches that were visible from the highway driving back.
Didnt have a chance to check ice at the north end.

Offline Mackereltoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Hello all, hope the warm season was good to you!

Stoked to be back on the hard water. Thanks for all the ice updates. Will be heading out this weekend can’t wait to pull some fish.

Be safe out there everybody!

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:27 AM »
good job everyone

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Interesting day out from the boat launch today. First hole drilled in 13 FOW yielded multiple marks and an eager perch around 9 inches. This was followed by another one which was also released. Did some prospecting (always fun when the ice is no more than 7 inches) and found perch between 7 and 20 FOW. The larger ones seemed to be dispersed in the shallower water and could only be picked off one here, two there. Some larger perch were in fact deeper, but the multiple marks of smaller fish were generally in at least 13 feet. Tiny tungsten jigs with waxworms caught, as did minnow heads on slab grabbers, and buckshot rattle spoons. My partner was shut out using the famous Green Hawger.

How can this be Churchill River?

gman51

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:05 PM »
Nice work everyone it’s nice to see the perch still very active. Was out myself today searching for the walleyes and had another great day on the ice with some real nice 21”+ tubs landed. Managed a few pics before releasing most of them. Definitely One of my best days in a few years for size. Still working on my picture taking abilities. The 28”er with the blood stream down the side was not as bad as it looks she released just fine with a big strong wave of her tail.not that it matters to much but she did slide off the board just as i took the pic but she was a full 28" Gotta love first ice.😉

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:44 PM »
wow nice job rip those pics got me wishing i was frying fish for supper instead of left over moose stew!! makes ya wonder how many jigs that 28" snubbed before eating yours..

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Day 2 on the ice. Out in front of the boat launches. Finally pulled out a few walleye and of course a ton of perch. I forgot my minnows and meal worms so ended up using some plastics and a couple jigging raps and still managed to have a good day

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Wow those pics are awesome Rip and Magic! Thanks for sharing.

Monday was the first time I'd been on ice that wasnt over 20 inches thick. How worried need I be with warm weather in the forecast? Will the ice possibly get thinner or is there enough depth now that a few degrees positive shouldnt matter too much?

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Nice fish everyone! Rip that’s a tank of a walleye congrats! Great job on releasing her too! 👍🏼

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Nice pics fellas ! Can hardly wait to get out and get in on the action.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Good going everyone. Great early ice action at Blackstrap.
:icefish:

Dandy big wallye ripnflutter.
Nice to see she went back as well. @)

WW

Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Well now with the mule deer in the freezer, I can get out on the ice.  Glad everyone is off to a good start.  Sounds like the Walleye are more active, as last winter was a slow year for catching them.

Speckspotter, sorry to hear that the green hawger didn't produce for your friend.  I am heading out tomorrow and will let you know if it was
the hawger or your friend.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2019, 10:21 PM »
Last Thursday was pike and perch. Today was perch and walleye. This keeper bites my golden spoon.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2019, 10:22 PM »
Forgot the important thing: ice was 6 inch.

gman51

« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2019, 07:07 AM »
nice one toonfisher always nice to see the pics hopefully they will keep posting throughout the winter at the strap. down in size but not in numbers yesterday for me as walleyes perch and pike were battled with. the smaller pike were very active stealing the show and a couple of my favorite lures :%$#!:. did mark and land a few eyes in the 18-19" range most of the walleyes were 13-14". jumbos perch were also topside. another awesome day to be out.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Plan on heading out tomorrow, hoping to cash in on that early morning bite.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Fished by the boat launches today, lot's of perch (a lot of smaller ones), one walleye and one 4 lb pike.  Kept 7 nice perch for a fresh feed.

The morning bite was excellent and then slowed down in the afternoon. 

Couldn't have asked for a bette day weather wise.  No wind to speak of for the strap.  Looked like a good 7 inches in the areas we tried, good enough
for a quad or snow machine.

Going to pull a Rip on Saturday and start at daybreak instead of 10:30, as the morning bite was on.

All fish were caught on the green hawger Speckspotter....so maybe your friend was just having a bad day.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:56 PM »
Churchill did you happen to leave any hawker spoons out on the ice. I don’t have any in my tackle box yet lol.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2019, 07:52 PM »
nothing wrong with left over moose stew....  Ive been eating left over elk chilli for the last 3 days

great job rip  awesome fish  your pics are very good  they capture the moment!!

Might just have to drive s and hit costco and then fish there

gman51

« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2019, 07:02 PM »
A wet sloppy day out there today little breezy but the temps were great. Out with fellow ice shanty member twistedhook as we were hoping for some more walleye action. And throughout the early am and mid morning they were fairly active And banging our lures. Along with perch and the usual suspects the northern pike. Had a great day fishing with another fellow ice shanty member.looking forward to more trips. Thanks twistedhook.👍

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2019, 10:42 AM »
A great day being Schooled by RIP.......Only weird thing is being blind folded when being taken to his honey holes!  ::)

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Great pics Rip thanks for sharing! Be careful with twisted hook, he’s been known to be a sketchy character at times....haha

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2019, 08:53 PM »
nice pics rip  Ive heard the same about twisted hook lol

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2019, 08:24 AM »
You guys did a lot better then me. Was out on the ice by 8 am Friday morning and caught 6 perch between 830 and 930. After that I just moved constantly looking for fish but no takers. On a side note if any one left an HT ice scoop out on the ice in front of the boat launches I have it. Message me and I can return it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.