Author Topic: Floats on marcum  (Read 2222 times)

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Floats on marcum
« on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:57 AM »
I am sure this topic has already come up but I am wondering if anyone puts a float on marcum transducer cables. Do they come with one? Does marcum carry floats? Does a vex float fit on the cable, is it easy to put on? We fish in permanent shanty's so the unit is not on the ice over the hole, seems like the transducer arm deal would not work nearly as well as just throwing the old vex w/float in the hole. We net fish (walleye) out of our holes to give you an idea, and shacks are up on blocks. Thanks for any replys, would like to get a marcum, just wondering about this.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Floats on marcum
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:30 PM »
You can order a float from Vexilar or buy a pool noodle and cut off a piece and use a rubber ball with a slot cut half way through to keep it in position on the transducer cable. If the ball is too loose, put a cable tie around it to adjust tension.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:52 PM »
Great idea! Thanks for the response icedawg. Anybody else have modifications?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:39 PM »
I don't want a float to float the marcum transducer but rather to prevent the ice freeze on the transducer cord.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:31 PM »
I use that close cell insulation you can get at a hardware store that's used for insulating water lines.  A foot of it on the transducer cable will float the transducer square in the hole, and when wrapped with black electrician tape, will absorb enough sunlight even on a cloudy day to keep the cable from freezing in the hole,,,,,,,,,,,and to keep ice from forming in the hole if the clouds aren't too thick.   When you get a fish on, just pick up the cable by the foam and pull it out of the hole. Catch fish, look at fishfinder screen, scratch head, remember to put the transducer back in the hole and start fishing again.  I am on my third set up and love it for the practicality. With a piece of pin flag or bailing wire about a foot long, you can strengthen the transducer and the bottom of the cable so it will hang square with the bottom so the cone angle is hanging square.  Liberal use of black tape seems to work well.  Be sure to leave about a foot of cable between the transducer stiffener wire and the floater/insulation so the cable will allow the transducer to be able to swing free and square in the hole. It only takes about 10 inches of foam to float a transducer and to keep the hole ice free. 1/2 a roll of elect. tape is enough.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.