Author Topic: Bob House Heaters  (Read 3707 times)

Offline skip15

• IceShanty Rookie
Bob House Heaters
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:35 PM »
I have an Empire dv 210 heater that is going to cost me $$ to fix I've talked to a couple of people and they say stay away from the unvented do to the way my bob house is set up with it being insulated so good they would shut down fast due to o2 depletion does anyone no of another type vented that won't break the bank
thanks

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bob House Heaters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:55 PM »
nu way makes a neet little propane stove, have one in my bob house, looks like a small sheet metal wood stove with a kitchen range top burner inside, 3 in. vent and you can cook on top of it. very simple set up. I think it needs a low presure regulator, the type you use in a home- not the ones on a gas grill. when i got mine was about 100 bucks but that was 10-15 years ago. i think i got it from sportsman guide.

Offline skip15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:57 PM »
Thanks i'll check into it

Offline icemanbb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:34 PM »
I use a little & big buddy heaters with no problem, but I also keep a vent or window cracked open all the time. The new units burn pretty clean, and I rarely need to run them on more than LOW/MED heat setting. We smoke cigars and cook inside, and the air in the shack tends to get a little funky on warm days. If you have a tight shack you could always add some adjustable ventilation to provide "make-up" air. If you go in and out of the shack with any regularity you should not have any problem with the air. Most of the heaters I found with vents were wall-types that needed to be installed permanently. If you're handy you could put one in without too much trouble. Definately need to go to a 10-20lb propane tank if you are getting anything bigger than a Buddy. I am going to invest in the adaptors and hoses to run all my propane stuff off of bigger tanks because I am tired of spendng 4-7 dollars a pound for fuel!
Where else can a simple mortal like myself walk on water?

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:38 PM »
I use a similar to the nu way stove to heat and cook with ,Got It from northern industrial for fifty bucks. I have used these in three bobhouses for over twenty years.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Does nu-way still make stoves?
I think if your shanty is air tight enough that the o2 safety is triggered, you really should put in some venting. If it doesn't breathe, it will probably get pretty musty & moldy. I've been using the buddy heater since I built my hard side. For me, it's been a great unit.

Offline ssearah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:44 PM »
I love my medium buddy heater.... Keeps my portable really warm.

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:40 PM »
I have a co2 detector and a 2" vent at the peak of both gable ends.Never beeen an issue and I've slept in it many times.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:10 AM »

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:35 AM »
We use a small wood stove in ours and my brother in law uses a Big Buddy Heater in his 8X8. Have to run the Big Buddy on low or it gets too hot.

Capt. Black

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Shy of the heat exchanger or control valve a DV210 should be cheaper to fix than to replace with another heater. What's wrong with it?

Offline skip15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:01 PM »
hoping it's just the thermophile and not the gas valve pilot lights but goes out when i try to turn it to heat I'm going to replace the thermophile and cross my fingers

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:41 PM »
We use a small wood stove in ours and my brother in law uses a Big Buddy Heater in his 8X8. Have to run the Big Buddy on low or it gets too hot.

Capt. Black
hello sir, doesn't humpin wood get to be a pain , it does at home, can't imaine doin it on the ice

Offline Bluefin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:11 PM »
i use my single burner stove, or i bring the buddy heater out, next shack will have a small wood stove tho

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:21 PM »
i use my single burner stove, or i bring the buddy heater out, next shack will have a small wood stove tho
I'm in the process of finishing off my first shack.  I was hoping to get by with just one of those small single burners that fit on top of the 1lb cans.  do you think it would work ok? (small shack 4X6.5')
Newfound (Circus)

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:17 PM »
hello sir, doesn't humpin wood get to be a pain , it does at home, can't imaine doin it on the ice
We have 3 of us to take turns pulling out the wood. A supply (1 jet sled load) lasts 3 days.

Capt. Black

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2013, 04:52 AM »
in our woodstrove its not a pain, just load the sled and your good for several days. we have an abundance of pallets and chaulk blaocks at work that get tossed so thats my main fuel source. plus if you ever run low the woods is always close by with fallen/dead  trees all over the place. i always have the bow saw in the bobhouse to cut logs. just a thought.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:04 AM »
I'm in the process of finishing off my first shack.  I was hoping to get by with just one of those small single burners that fit on top of the 1lb cans.  do you think it would work ok? (small shack 4X6.5')
I heat my 8X12 with a Coleman lantern (secondary source) and alone it keeps at a nice 72 degrees.

Offline damyankey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:42 AM »
I use a two burner gas stove top. Both burners on high at start, then one burner on low. Keeps my 8x8 toasty warm. Ceiling fan to drive the air to the floor. Two peak vents and working windows take care of makeup air and CO. Average 1 1/2 20# bottles a season.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:42 AM »
We have 3 of us to take turns pulling out the wood. A supply (1 jet sled load) lasts 3 days.

Capt. Black
nice, i've been using propane for years. i guess you have no co2 worries with wood. what do you do with all those ashes?

Offline damyankey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:47 AM »
It ain't the CO2 that gets you, it's the CO that makes you wake up dead! :'(

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:49 AM »
It ain't the CO2 that gets you, it's the CO that makes you wake up dead! :'(
gotta watch out for that, then i never sleep in my house

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I get an entire season with my woodstove without emptying the ash pan. It's all in the design of my homemade woodstove.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2013, 12:07 PM »
nice, i've been using propane for years. i guess you have no co2 worries with wood. what do you do with all those ashes?
Bag them in the garbage first thing the next time we go out.

Capt. Black

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:50 PM »
one burner on low will heat the entire shanty all day and night. a tank will last 3 days, then your pushin' it.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:26 PM »
big scott, that's a nice set up!
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:47 PM »
it's not mine personaly..close friend. on 1st connecticut lake...

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2013, 06:40 PM »
like the stove.looks like it was taken from an old camper

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.