Author Topic: Plastics for walleyes???  (Read 4426 times)

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
Plastics for walleyes???
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:09 PM »
with all the diffrent types of plastics on the market now is there any that work for walleyes??? ad if there is what lure would you match them with? thanks

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Plastics for walleyes???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:57 PM »
I have caught eyes on the good old Mister Twisters all colors......

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2011, 12:18 AM »
I have caught eyes on the good old Mister Twisters all colors......

X2

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2011, 04:22 PM »
We have been hammering them with just a white jig head with a red eye and med minnow. No plastic body or tail. I find that if we are using plastic body's in the winter you catch allot more pike than Wally's. :tipup:

Offline musky mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Gulp gobie on a large white jig head...

Bang bottom with it...

That is if you have gobies in your area

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:58 AM »
Actually caught my first walleye of the year a month ago on a 4 mm Fiskas with a Glow Micro Nuggie... pretty fun! 

Offline AT3NCION

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2012, 12:53 AM »
with all the diffrent types of plastics on the market now is there any that work for walleyes??? ad if there is what lure would you match them with? thanks
Were you reading the 2012 In-Fisherman Walleye Guide as well when you thought of this question? I only ask because I was pondering the same thing tonight. There was an article about it in the aforementioned magazine that really sold me on the idea of starting to try and experiment with plastics more. I mean, if Doug Strange thinks it's a good idea I'm going to say it's worth consideration. The only thing is it doesn't talk at all about fishing on the ice.
When I was at a tackle shop tonight I decided to pick up a few things to experiment with and something I picked up that seemed interested was the Storm Wildeye Swim Shad. I fish a river where I live frequently, and so with the paddle tail in combination with the eye of the lure being placed where it is it really made me think it could be fished vertically.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:39 PM »
I got some of the Wildeye Swim Shads after watching a show when Doug was using them. They work real well in open water. Haven't used them much through the ice yet, but I enough to say they don't show up well on sonar.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:25 PM »
gulp works great in smelt or goby patterns around here. the smaller size on a jig head or beetle spin.  sometimes we use a crappie sized jig on the bettle spin they do suspend horizontal when tied properly.   fish them in the summer under a bobber too.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I've always done decent with Mimic Minnows and plain Mister Twister Curyly tails.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:33 PM »
We have been hammering them with just a white jig head with a red eye and med minnow. No plastic body or tail. I find that if we are using plastic body's in the winter you catch allot more pike than Wally's. :tipup:

x2
Still counting.....

Offline crankshaft013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Here in Southern Ontario... Spring fishing nothing seems to beat the yellow mister twister..

Through the ice I've had my best luck tipping my jigs (jiggin raps, buckshots, spoons, plain jig head, whatever..)  With a chunk of an ear plug..  Those squishy foam ones..  bright (almost fluorescent) yellow/chartreuse.

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Here in Southern Ontario... Spring fishing nothing seems to beat the yellow mister twister..

Through the ice I've had my best luck tipping my jigs (jiggin raps, buckshots, spoons, plain jig head, whatever..)  With a chunk of an ear plug..  Those squishy foam ones..  bright (almost fluorescent) yellow/chartreuse.

If you are having your best luck on that, you should try a minnow head or a perch eye? Your numbers will be astronomical! ::)
Still counting.....

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:24 PM »
This past spring during the walleye run I outfished the other three guys combined by 2:1 using Power Bait Rippletail shad. And all three were using real minnows.... The best part was at the end of the weekend I put those two baits right back into the bag they came out of.

I also catch lots of eyes tossing a shad body rigged on a relatively heavy jighead(can you say swimbait?). I know some folks think Stange (In-Fish) can't fish any other way, but it's so effective at times it's scary.

/mike
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Mister Twister Phenom worm color Motor oil/chartreuse or black/chartreuse with a treble enought long to be placed at the jonction of the colors!

I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline crankshaft013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:05 AM »
If you are having your best luck on that, you should try a minnow head or a perch eye? Your numbers will be astronomical! ::)

Thanks for the tip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.