Author Topic: Ice Shanty build, from start to almost finished  (Read 40841 times)

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
Re: Ice Shanty build with added pics
« Reply #30 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:45 PM »
Brad, how much insulation do you need, let me know...  :tipup:
Bob

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:28 PM »
Thanks Bob, PM on the way.

I also need your elcetrical expertise :bow: to wire the shanty for power but that's down the road.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:47 PM »
looking good man - any luck finding a tractor trailer yet?  ;)

going to do some 12V wiring or just 110 from a genset?

both would be nice some 12 volt stuff so you can do some fishing in piece and quiet.  :laugh: Then you can recharge from a generator or just bring the battery with you each time. A few 110 outlets and lights for running straight from the generator too...that way you have options...

Have you run into any tools you may be missing?

Hopefully the warm weather holds enough for you to get it framed in at least.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2007, 12:39 AM »
I am working on some batteries and I will try to pick up some blue foam insulation by this weekend...  :tipup:
Bob

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty build with progress pictures
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2007, 02:31 AM »
Hey I'm actually making some progress ;D Why just in the last two days I got two more walls thrown up and mostly completed.

This is pre-wall raising with escape window already cut out and ready for install                  

This is the wall up and waiting for me to finish framing the window in.

This is the front wall.   

This is looking from the rear where the wall with the entry door will be.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Your ice shanty build is looking good Brad, thanks for the pic's.

Offline ChuckieConstable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:09 PM »
that shack is gonna be absolutly awsome!!!! it ll be more like a cabin on the ice.
I like catchin the big northerns but love eatin those crappie

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Brad, I have the lights that you talked to Dave about so we need to hook up by next Monday cause Tuesday I head out of state for some training.
Bob

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:38 AM »
Haven't worked on the shanty much lately as I went fishing Saturday and spent time with the family today but here a few more pictures of three walls up and a few rafters. I will keep pluggin away til it's finished or else.

Offline Pedey_13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2008, 02:08 AM »
looking real good Brad. Looks like you have yourself a real nice shanty in the works.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2008, 02:28 AM »
Yeah it's looking pretty good for an average handyman fireman who would sooner set it on fire and put it out but I have got way to much time and energy into it to allow that to happen. Besides I haven't checked yet to see if I can get it covered under my recreational insurance policy just in case a fire did break out or it got broken into once out on the lake.

I need to look into buying some property down by Birch and put it there in the summer and then drag it down to the lake in the winter. That would be the ultimate cabin ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2008, 04:08 AM »
WoW Brad she's looking large, your making good progress!  Good idea with the property since you have the cabin already built.  Do you have any names for your shanty?  I feel like you should name such a project of this magnitude a fitting name...  We could have a shanty naming contest with the winner receiving a guided trip, a nights accommodation, and a 1/2 rack of Old Milwaukee. :D  ;D ;D
I looked into whether my shack was covered under USAA and it was not....  I don't know who you have, but perhaps you'll get the coverage nod.  I have the following Thursday off if you need any additional help.
Bdog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2008, 01:59 AM »
A fish house naming contest  ??? Sounds good, my number will be F-343 in honor of my brothers who were murdered in 9/11 "Never Forget"

I am planning on painting it red (summer time) to go along with the green monster. Sort of a Red Green them for that area. We could call it the "Possum Lake Hardwater Club"  :roflmao:

I found out that my ice house is covered under my personal property under my homeowners insurance Yikes, never want to make a claim on that unless I have to.

I am planning on building a trailer like yours gamedog, just a little bigger. I have about 50 miles to get to the lake. Right now I have a few trailers lined up to get it there and back for this year.

Offline nedandned

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 16, 2008, 02:32 AM »
Cool looking hut

Offline Alaska_griz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2008, 01:30 AM »
F.F.
  Brads Pad is my entry to your contest..........Scott

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2008, 11:07 AM »
I still like shackzilla !

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:04 PM »
It's been a while since I last reported on the shanty, so I thought I would post an update and as soon as I can I will add some pictures.

Bascially I'm nearing completion and only a have a few but crucial things to due yet. All the walls are up, windows are in, door is on and it is enclosed on all sides except for the roof. Next time this will be the first thing accomplished after the walls are up. I'm tired of cleaning the snow out everytime I need to work >:(.

I have a few rafters to cut and secure with the hurricane ties and screw down the sheathing and insulate the walls and spray foam the cracks. Then put on the door locks and key lock box and install the wood stove and I'll probably call it good for the season and finish the rest in the summer.

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:32 PM »
been wondering how it was going, thanks for the update!

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2008, 02:48 AM »
Can't wait to see that monster out on the ice.
Travis

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:27 PM »
Okay here are the latest pictures. The construction completion date seems to be moving in the wrong direction these days. New honey do's, installing laminate flooring in the entire 2nd floor of my house and this danged cold weather. I was able to make a little more progress this weekend. I got the door hardware and lock box installed and finally the roof rafters are secured. I just have to find ??? my dang hurricane ties I bought so I can install them.

;D

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Finally enclosed from the weather
« Reply #50 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:37 AM »
Well it finally warmed up enough to go out and do some work on the shanty and I finally have a roof on and now the work on the inside can begin :woot:. I am still trying to figure out where I should put the wood stove ??? I was hoping not too close to the door but away from the escape window and in an area where it will not interfere with putting the fold up beds or the fishing holes. If one hole is not useable it's okay because I still have 7 more to use for :icefish:.  Any ideas ??? I will get some more pics posted after these to show the various layout spots up for consideration and then you guys can give some input.

Well for now here are the latest pictures from this weekend's progress.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Insulation going in
« Reply #51 on: Feb 12, 2008, 01:12 AM »
This evening I got about a third of my shanty insulated with 2" blue foam and it is exactly like I had hoped ;D The foam sits flush with the studs. I have been using mostly 4x8' sheets for the walls and 2x8' for the ceiling and after I get a sheet ripped into about 3 sections placing them in the walls is going extremelyfast but the measuring and ripping is taking the longest. I occassionally have to do some minor trimming and i could go into the shipping buisness with all the baby blue ghost poopies around on the floor. The scraps I have been using to fill in the smaller holes and areas that are narrower, like the corners and around the windows. It looks like I may have enough for the walls but I will need to get two more 2x8s or one 4x8 to finish the roof.

Here is the view from the front door, to the left between here and the window is a candidate for the stove.

Here is one wall completed with the big blue and another potential location for the stove to think about.

Here are some pics of my vent install for circulating air and removing some hot air up at the ceiling.

The other vent will go to the right of the door at the same height.

Offline husker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 12, 2008, 10:52 AM »
ur shack makes mine look like im in the feather weight division ......but u have just a bit more ice than i get in nebraska...haha....but def. nice shack hope u get some ice time on it this winter

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2008, 02:16 AM »
Yeah I'm sure I'll have a lot more friends than I had before ??? Especially now that I have something of use to them.

husker, even though you may feel like your in the lower division, you're not. This is just how we do things in Alaska, everything is bigger, those Texans really hate us for that :roflmao:

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2008, 03:55 AM »
Looking good Brad!  I would really consider placing your stove opposite the door.  I believe the heat retention is much better than closer to the door.  My last shack had it in the middle which was good but a little cumbersome. :-\ 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:53 AM »
Yeah, I think I might actually put it the way it is in the one picture. I am fairly near completion of the insulation on the walls and have yet to finish the ceiling but that's about a days work. I also have to get some flashing on the roof edges along with a trim board to keep the ice and water from running down the walls and windows. I have to put some roof sealer in between the gaps of the plywood on top of the roof and possibly seal the roof but I have already sealed it up on the inside ridge line.  I also need to get some backing mounted to the wall by the stove and to put in the pipe and up through the roof. I'm thinking it could be out on the lake in two weeks ???. Depends on if the loan manger (wife) we let me spend the money to finish it to the point of making it somewhat habitable (Fire safe) with a few conveniences for comfort.

I need to do it here soon as I am going to Vegas courtesy of the govt for a week,  :'( me. I'll be like Frosty, I'll melt but hopefully I can get into the NASCAR race there and get on the fire crew ;D

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty build In the final stages
« Reply #56 on: Feb 19, 2008, 01:29 AM »
I'm in the home stretch now and in a few more days my shanty should be ready to undergo ice trials. I really wanted to go fishing today but couldn't get motivated enough to get out of the bum mode but I did do some work on the shanty.

I ended up fixing one of my big windows that didn't seem to be fitting right and sealed them both on the outside with some good roof sealant around the edges. I was able to finish insulating the walls and put up some vapor barrier on the one wall and clean up all the blue foam and junk laying around on the inside to keep it neater.

I will finish the ceiling this week, and mount my wire mesh over my door window and tie up a few loose ends. Hopefully I can get the supplies I need to put in the stove pip and put up one piece of 5/8 sheetrock between the stove and flash the roof around the edges. The rest I think I can get done in the summer.

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 19, 2008, 01:52 AM »
It's looking great.  You didn't miss anything at Birch.  I only caught 2 little silvers and the 3 groups of people I talked to didn't do any better.  At least you had a chance to get further along on your shanty.
Travis

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty build, from start to almost finished
« Reply #58 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:27 AM »
The latest news!
I was able to procure some supplies from my reliable sources. I was able to get some 5/8 fire resistive sheetrock and mount it to the Wall. It's probably a 4x6 piece. I also procurred a nice 4x6 foot piece of metal to shape to the floor and to the wall for the stove to sit on and reflect the heat. Got that screwed down to the floor and to the wall through the sheetrock.

I was able to cut the metal with some heavy duty shears and to get to if ik needed to, the use of the two holes near the stove. I then started and was able to finish all but one wall with the visqueen. If I can get the stove pipe in, the roof insulation finished, get the door covered and some flashing on, I might take Friday off to finish it up and get it out on the lake by at least Saturday at the latest ;D

We'll see what the wife has to say though ??? about doing some more flooring. I'll tell her I'll do some Sunday.

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Shanty build, from start to almost finished
« Reply #59 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:50 AM »
Happy to see tonight wasn't wasted.  Wish i would have been able to go out with you to test the Icegator but my friends were in a bind with their sitter unable to watch their kids.  I almost told them no but as karma works out we would not have been able to test it with the wrong bolts for the nils and either no adapter or the wrong one for yours.  Let me know how this turns out and when the right parts are here so we can test it.
Travis

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.