Author Topic: plastics  (Read 10738 times)

Offline gillcraze

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drill em n kill em
plastics
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:50 AM »
do you prefer straight tail... split tail curl tail... wht do you guys use when the gills arent biting
drill em n kill em

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Re: plastics
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:26 AM »
I like split tail plastics. When they aren't biting I stick to the Maki or Jamei from Maki Plastics. Check them out! Best out there for sure!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:51 AM »
staight tails, I own all three, but usually start and finsih with the straight.. I agree with you on the Maki plastics as well

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Straight-tailed Micro Noodle by Little Atom has been my most productive plastic
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2011, 12:13 PM »
Straight tail for minnow imitations, multi legs like a hummer, scudbug or occasionally some of the Maki's when imitating nymphs/scuds

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2011, 12:43 PM »
do you prefer straight tail... split tail curl tail... wht do you guys use when the gills arent biting

My feet and my auger!

I fish all three most trips out unless I get lucky and hit the right combo early on.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2011, 06:28 AM »
You can try any tail you want,but for the MONEY LURE a clean RATSO"S will out fish the rest. I use them when fish are fussy and get fish,and it's just ridiculous when there pounding.I have 8-10 jigging rods pre rigged and 2-3 ALWAYS HAVE RATSO'S on them.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:38 AM »
I like the straight tail Makis.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:20 PM »
@ captain54...what color ratso do you use??

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:36 PM »
I like Ratsos as well, and almost always have at least one rigged and ready (colors vary with situation). On my Jason Mitchell Meat Stick, it is deadly on lethargic gills, and when they are hitting, forgetaboudit! ;) That said, I use others as well, mostly straight and single tail.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Chartreuse,glow brite,white,black,smoke and red. Chartreuse no.1

Offline PikeKing2323

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:34 PM »
green glow shrimpos

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2012, 08:33 PM »
I've found that the ball on the end of the tails of the Ice Mite, Mite Jr, Magnum, and even the twin tail Gojo from J & S Custom Jigs work the best. Just don't get enough finesse with a straight tail.  The ball adds just the right amount bounce to the tail that drives gills crazy.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2012, 11:03 PM »
I've found that the ball on the end of the tails of the Ice Mite, Mite Jr, Magnum, and even the twin tail Gojo from J & S Custom Jigs work the best. Just don't get enough finesse with a straight tail.  The ball adds just the right amount bounce to the tail that drives gills crazy.

Gotta agree on this one. Ice mites are awesome!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline mnfishing97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Ive been doing good with northland impulse stoneflies. Anyone use bros scud bug?

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:54 PM »
I use the scud bugs alot with a single spike on the on the hook tucked in and catch just about every thing in shallow water with lots of weeds

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Iv got some scud bugs ill have to try this weekend
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Slam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:27 PM »
I also have had good luck with ratso's and shrimpo's.  I had good luck last weekend with nuggies.

Offline pokey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:25 PM »
One word RATSO!

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:27 PM »
I liked using plastics. That is until I found 5 of them lodged in a bass stomach. I stick with live bait now.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:57 PM »
I liked using plastics. That is until I found 5 of them lodged in a bass stomach. I stick with live bait now.

I'm guessing that bass was killed to inspect it's stomach contents?  ;D I haven't had a panfish ingest a micro noodle yet...

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2013, 08:51 PM »
 I like pink fry which have straight tails.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2013, 04:28 PM »
I thought I would revivie this thread and ask for additional stories of anglers that fish mostly or all plastics for bluegills.  I have finally purchased a grip of micro plastics and am going to use them over some nice sized gills this winter.  So, any of you care to share your stories of micro plastics?  Cheers.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2013, 01:25 PM »
I've had best luck with micro noodles and wedgies in purple & red. Plastics usually will account for the bigger fish...

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2013, 01:38 PM »
If the fish are down there and not overly interested, go smaller and darker.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2013, 01:43 PM »
I used the trigger x waxtail last year and hammered the panfish. Make sure to get plenty tho. You'll go thru a lot of them.

Offline jigginfireman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When hell freezes over I will fish that too!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 22, 2013, 08:53 AM »
I thought I would revivie this thread and ask for additional stories of anglers that fish mostly or all plastics for bluegills.  I have finally purchased a grip of micro plastics and am going to use them over some nice sized gills this winter.  So, any of you care to share your stories of micro plastics?  Cheers.

Been using plastics before they where cool. No pun. Over a decade now to be exact. I love using them. Sure there are days that live bait still out produces plastics and there isn't anything you can do but make a move to a different lake or give them what they want. I have also found that when fishing with plastic tails that you may not out fish someone using live bait, but you''l catch bigger fish. I use this tactic when I am fishing and catching many small dinky panfish. Up sizing to a larger plastic tail will keep little fish away and you'll be able to concentrate on the larger fish.

When fishing tails try to get them on straight off the back of your jig. If the tail is hooked off center, when you start to jig this will cause the jig to spin under the ice. When the fish see this they will not be interested. They will back away as quickly as they come in. Before sending your tails down to the fish try them just under the surface of the water. This will allow you to see if the jig will spin when jigged. Some will say that jigging rapidly will cure this. This is true to a point but you'll have to continue to jig, and any pause will cause the jig to start spinning. Most times fish like small pauses when jigging. I have found this out to be the case more so than not.

If your new to fishing tails go to a lake that has a lot of small fish and/or a clear water lake with a shallow bite. Site fish and see what happens. This will help you watch your jig and find out what works and what doesn't work. It will also show you what is going on down there. So if you use a flasher you can almost see what is going on without actually seeing it with your eyes. This has helped me out tremendously. It also helps you fish with confidence. This is the biggest hurtle to get over starting out. Getting frustrated is almost guaranteed starting out. I did and it wasn't until I was able to ice fish consistently did I gain confidence in my skills.

Feel free to message me with any questions you may have.

Jiggin

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Great comprehensive post Jigginfireman

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:20 PM »
I second what Townie said.

I plan to spend most of this ice season fishing with plastics.  I started to gain confidence in them towards the end of the season last year...hopefully I can pick up right where I left off!
"Got me a marlin!"

Offline jigginfireman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When hell freezes over I will fish that too!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2013, 02:29 PM »
Thanks Gents for the kind words. Good luck this season. Take care.

Jiggin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.