Author Topic: 2/23/13 Oak Swamp Reservoir  (Read 1615 times)

Offline risurfer77

• IceShanty Rookie
2/23/13 Oak Swamp Reservoir
« on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Finally got out with my dad for the first time this year at Oak Swamp.  We go out there aroung 8-9 and set up our tilts.  The action was pretty hot from the start, with a few bass, picks, and perch for a solid 2-3 hours.  Around 11:30 someone was yelling at us from shore to get off the ice.  It was the Johnston PD saying that the ice is unsafe.  Granted we had a solid 6-8 inches of ice where we were fishing, but the other side of the pond was wide open.  So i proceed to talk to the officer and he said that because the DEM declared that there was no safe ice in the state that we would have to leave because it is a public safety hazard.  So we packed up our stuff and left.  This is not the first time this has happend to me while ice fishing on this pond.  Last time I fished there about a month ago, someone called DEM and all they did was check our licences and we only had 5-6 inches of ice.  I think someone doesn't like us fishing on "their" pond.  So be aware if you want to fish there, dont fish in the back cove closest to the camp unless you want to be bothered by the dem/pd.  Overall was a good day for fishing, and at lease we caught something before we had to leave....here are some of the bass we caught before we had to leave.....

caught this one while we were packing up....

Offline solomon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2/23/13 Oak Swamp Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Good Stuff!
sol...

Offline comeonnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Nice pictures. I especially like the second one. I have some of those green tilts with the flutter flag :'( they are still my favorites. :)

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:01 PM »
Nice fish...to bad the boys got to you looks like there was more action awaiting!

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:58 AM »
Guys I have called dem and have on my phonea message from Christine Beverly 401-789-0281 the only water dem checks for safety is 3 state parks linclon woods meshanacut and goddard and you hunt fish oar boat in rhode island at your own risk you hit the nail on head when you say someone does not want you on what they consider their private pond but you should also know that all ri residents have the right to share and enjoy its natural resources

Offline risurfer77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:56 AM »
halfhooked,

I was wondering if I refused to get off the ice, would they be able to arrest me?  If it not like we are on the pond illegally.  We parked in front of my friends house, so we were not illegally parked, we both had our fishing licences on us.  It is just frustrating that certain people think they own the pond because it is in their backyard.  I fish the pond all the time in the summer and it is a great spot to fish.  Oh well...time to put the gear away for the season...till next year.

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:38 AM »
and goddard

The fact that they even check that puddle cracks me up ;D

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:12 AM »
on barbers a couple years back I challenged a South Kingston cop I said If you got a call it was from someone who lives on the pond in R I you fish at your own risk the state does certify ice as safe because then they would be liable if someone went through I have a valid state fishing license using proper legal gear and bait please call dem  before you disrupt a legal fishing trip   he did and when he was done he said I need to inform you guys that you are fishing at your own risk please be careful have a nice day

Offline teeo9111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Outside of a state park the police can NOT make you get off the ice,neither can the DEM.

Offline risurfer77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2013, 09:45 AM »
guys... thanks for the info.  It seems to make sense that you are at your own risk.  Next time they try to kick me off, I will definately state my case...

Offline Bassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ FLAG-UP ~
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:22 AM »
nice pic's, love those pic's.
Good to see a father and son outing. No matter how young or old.

Way to go Ed with the ice info.
No one owns the water, frozen or not !
Mike & Otis the sled dog

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:45 AM »
some nice look bass! that s@%k that you got kicked of the ice.

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:03 PM »
theres still a small window this weekend  too get a few more pictures up on the site before the ice vanishes.  i know  im gonna try.
Chepi

Offline risurfer77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:12 AM »
good luck to everyone who makes it out before ice out....stay safe...hope to see some good pics....

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Yea we will have ice for a little while longer. Got out today on 6-7" of soft ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.