Author Topic: coming back from mexico. self isolation and fishing  (Read 5915 times)

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
coming back from mexico. self isolation and fishing
« on: Mar 21, 2020, 05:09 PM »
So getting back from playa tomorrow Eve 22nd. 
I get the 14 day self isolation.
I get the close contact stuff.   
I am having my vehicle dropped off at the airport for me. So from the moment I can get into my truck I would be self isolating. 

In theory if I left my house I would have no close contact with anybody between there and the lake.  As well as on the lake.  I would in theory be self isolated from everybody still.   And I would be able to speak loudly enough for someone to hear that I just got back from mexico if somebody approached me. 

So....
Do you think I would have any issues going fishing.   
And in your honest opinions do you see anything wrong with my logic or that I would be risking anybody's health if I went fishing for 9 of my 14 self isolation days.   Heck I'll even take my gear and sleep on the lake for a few of them limiting my travel.

Thoughts ?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: coming back from mexico. self isolation and fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2020, 05:32 PM »
When you return home, I would phone the 811 health phone line and talk to this people.

On paper (theory), your plan sounds safe.  But it sounds like the officials would like you to stay in your house the full 14 days.  I heard last
night (not sure if effects Saskatchewan), that anyone caught out of their house that is suppose to be in isolation are subject to a $2,000 fine.

If I was to miss the last 10 days of the hard water season, I am sure that would make me more sick then if I had Covid 19.  And about this time of year my wife says to me........are you going to die if you don't fish the last days of the season.......and I always answer.............Yes

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2020, 07:03 PM »
I am in the same situation, my son, my spouse and myself came back from Phoenix, and I’d just like to be able to go for a drive! Find a nice spot out in the country and go for a walk in the woods... it’s only day 3 and I am going crazy! I need some time out in the wild!

gman51

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2020, 10:21 PM »
some of us have lived long enough to know and have experienced that in theory some things don’t pan out the way you’ve imagined they would.  there’s always a chance of your vehicle breaking down and requiring help.an accident with another vehicle which would include putting other people Like police and or ambulance personnel at risk. IMO it’s actions like this that is exactly what they’re trying to stop.

Offline cerndo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2020, 01:17 AM »
From Premier Moe

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1241227718764531712/pu/vid/720x720/-ZF8fL9HOdx0YPZc.mp4?tag=10

https://twitter.com/PremierScottMoe/status/1241228235045605378

Some of you may think that my message yesterday about mandatory self-isolation was too harsh. It’s not. Here’s why.

Look at this graph of the COVID-19 case counts in a few select countries. It shows the case counts in each country starting with the day their case count hit 100. This is the “curve” everyone is talking about.

There is some very good news on this graph. Some countries, like Japan and South Korea, have actually been able to flatten the curve, using good social distances and self-isolation practices. That’s encouraging.

But there is also some bad news on this graph. Like Italy. And the US.

Right now, Canada is still in the “bunched up” part of the graph, where every country seems to be about 10 days after they hit their 100th case. But it’s after that things seem to go one way or the other.

So we are still at the point where we have a chance to flatten our curve and save lives. But we have to do the right things. One of those things is self-isolation for 14 days after you get back from foreign travel.

That includes the United States. In fact, exposure from the US may be one of the biggest threats right now. The numbers of COVID-19 cases are taking off in the US.

If you have been in the US, there is a good chance you have been exposed to COVID-19. And if you go out once you get home, there’s a good chance you are exposing others.

So don’t do it - it’s now against the law.

Stay home. We can flatten the curve. But we have to all do the right things.

Scott Moe

Offline jignjim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2020, 09:28 AM »
I am a die hard fisherman and I get your plan, however as a volunteer fireman, I say stay at home! Last thing you want, is to be in an accident and the virus gets past on to the emergency response teams. You can still hit the stocked trout lakes in April ( assuming you are virus free). Tight lines!

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2020, 10:38 AM »
Absolutely. Stay home so your not putting others at risk. There’s a reason why all these new protocols are in place and they are not exclusive to only certain people who have travelled. Anyone that has travelled should be staying at home. No exceptions

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2020, 10:55 AM »
Go fishing. While we destroy the economy and everyone loses their jobs over the big scary pandemic it'd be nice to know someone is catching some fish. In time everyone will see this has been blown out of proportion

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2020, 11:10 AM »
  Would be pretty damn selfish to risk first responders, health care workers and everyone else just to go chase a couple of fish.  I have friends and family in both those sectors STAY HOME.  Once this is over, the reason it will be over is because we  "blew it out of proportion".

Heck we could have just closed the border and left the snowbirds and travellers under trumps watch.  Should just be thankful to be home.

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Yes, I do agree with all those points... I have decided to stay at home and dig a snow fort!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2020, 12:19 PM »
Good call dk.  I'm taking this as great time to get organized and knock off a bunch of chores, fix the truck and get everything ready for open water.   Take care everyone and watch out for the toilet paper zombies.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2020, 12:50 PM »

That includes the United States. In fact, exposure from the US may be one of the biggest threats right now.
Scott Moe

Even Minnesota?? We are neighbors and understand Molson, Moosehead and the Mackenzie Brothers.

I guess all I have to say is....UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN...
:-\
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Does this count as fishing?

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Hell Yahhhhh. I even do that during closed season!

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Go fishing. While we destroy the economy and everyone loses their jobs over the big scary pandemic it'd be nice to know someone is catching some fish. In time everyone will see this has been blown out of proportion

Idiots like yourself will be the reason this doesn’t just blow over and we are in self isolation for months, not just the “two weeks” everyone is planning for.

I hope you were trolling but sadly there are way to many out there with that attitude.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Does this count as fishing?

yep catfishing..

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2020, 02:07 PM »

Thank goodness the border is closed to keep stupidity like this where it belongs. Can’t fix stupid.....

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2020, 03:07 PM »

Idiots like yourself will be the reason this doesn’t just blow over and we are in self isolation for months, not just the “two weeks” everyone is planning for.

I hope you were trolling but sadly there are way to many out there with that attitude.

100% serious and I'm a health care worker. Gonna be out of work if the virus doesn't pick up in my area due to the overreaction. Give it 6 months and come back to this post we will see how this plays out.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2020, 03:58 PM »
Wow that's frightening.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2020, 04:23 PM »
There are a few words that come to mind to describe an individual that makes an extremely foolish statement such as yours Hweber.

The entire planet is aware of the economical implications of taking extreme measures such as these to keep the virus from spreading. The fact that the entire planet HAS taken these extreme measures, despite knowing the economical implications, would very strongly suggest that this is an extremely serious threat to human life around the world.

Reactions and measures such as the ones we are currently experiencing haven’t been practiced in over 100 years, when the Spanish flu infected 500 million people and killed up to 50 million. This is another very strong clue that the COVID-19 virus is a serious threat.

Any intelligent person would realize that aside from the worlds top scientists that are currently studying the pandemic and know it intimately, there really aren’t any people on the entire planet that are truly in any position to call this an overreaction or down play the virus.

Given the current state of chaos around the world and extreme pressure to create a successful vaccine to get our society back on track, I find it extremely hard to believe that one of these scientists is surfing the sask forum on Iceshanty.com which would suggest that you sir, are not in any position to say what’s happened is an overreaction.

Have a nice day Hweber

Offline brokefarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Just back from Cuba friday (20).  Got a text thurs my mom had a massive stoke.  Just before.we flew.out fri am got news she had passed.  Now stuck in isolation for 14 days while my 2 younger sisters have to deal with things.  Cannot hold any of my kids or grandkids nor my 2 sisters at this time.  Do we like it no...but there ie a reason for all this.  Funeral postponed for 14 days ...if then.   Current regulations are that we cannot have more then 15 people in attendence standing 10 ft apart.  These might change.  Lets all use comment sense and abide by the rules even though we might not agree.  We will get through this and be stronger for it .  Keep safe work together and watch over your neighbours. 
Ps my mom was in her 93 yr living and doing well on her own.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2020, 05:05 PM »
Time will tell. We are taking about a symptom less man who wants to go fishing not someone hacking up a lung looking to visit a retirement community. Pretty low risk. Any intelligent person can analyze the data that is out there for all to see. I will not try to cram my opinion down your throat but do encourage anyone who is fired up about this to look at the numbers.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2020, 05:36 PM »
symptom free means nothing until the 2 weeks are up.  you're really a health care worker?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2020, 06:54 PM »
I'm not here to argue semantics. I just have no problem if someone goes fishing if they aren't coming into contact with anyone.  As someone who is in contact with potential cases daily I probably won't be fishing but logging in and seeing folks are getting into fish while keeping quarantine in mind puts a smile on my face  :tipup:

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2020, 08:15 PM »
To be clear the prov govt isn't telling everyone to self isolate. It's people who have recently traveled, show symptoms, etc.  People still have to eat. I will be going to work in the morning and as much as it sucks, there will be plenty of times where the 2 meter buffer won't happen. I'm looking forward to Friday morning when I am heading north to truly social distance. Several days of isolation.

Offline cerndo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2020, 08:33 PM »
I will reiterate the call to Saskatchewanians and other readers about how it is now ILLEGAL to not self isolate after international travel.  You must go directly home and nowhere else between the airport and your residence for 14 consecutive days.   If a cop happens to show up at your door and your'e not home, you will probably get busted.  They even told narcs to call the cops if they see someone not self isolating.   It is spoken and written in plain Canadian.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1241227718764531712/pu/vid/720x720/-ZF8fL9HOdx0YPZc.mp4?tag=10

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2020, 07:56 PM »
Sooooooo. How are things HWebber? Things pick up for you in your field?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2020, 09:45 PM »
Bahahaha bigk gets post of the year!  Cheers man I really needed a good belly chuckle today.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2020, 09:50 PM »
We've been busy at work, still no reason for folks not to go fishing.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2020, 04:17 PM »
100% serious and I'm a health care worker. Gonna be out of work if the virus doesn't pick up in my area due to the overreaction. Give it 6 months and come back to this post we will see how this plays out.

I take it you aren't out of work these days?

I agree people should get out fishing - unless they are in the category of "need to isolate"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.