Author Topic: Tips to target small pike in pickerel lakes?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tips to target small pike in pickerel lakes?
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:15 AM »
One of the lakes I fish a lot has a lot pickerel, but recently a few pictures on facebook came up of a small pike. All of the people I've asked since I saw this picture have never caught or heard of pike in this lake, except for this one. I've talked to two or three people over the course of a few years who said they caught small pike in there, but until I actually saw a picture of one I just assumed they confused pike and pickerel. I've never fished for or even caught a pike but its kind of a bucket list fish for me, so I'm wondering if there's any tweaks to make my presentation to stand out to a pike rather than the loads of pickerel and bass in the lake? Maybe try using a little bit bigger perch or bluegill if I can jig one up? or some kind of dead bait? Generally I use medium or large shiners on tip ups and jig with 04 rip n raps or kastmasters, and fish shallow in weeds or by structure.   

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tips to target small pike in pickerel lakes?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:53 PM »
There really isn't anything you can do, as small pike and pickerel are almost identical. If there are big pike, then you can do something.
-Tom

Offline RY-GUY_SK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2016, 02:12 AM »
Sorry Thomas but you are wrong, Pike will be in water notably shallower than the picks and don't always feed right close to the bottom like the picks do.

To answer your question NJChris, try moving your bait to shallower water and suspend it a few feet off of the lake floor as pike can see above their heads somewhat. The bait will silhouette against the ice above and the pike will come up, have a look and bite if they are hungry (they always are).

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2016, 02:25 AM »
Fish larger baits. Even small pike will eat big baits. And fish shallow don't be afraid to fish 2-8ft

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:35 PM »
Sorry Thomas but you are wrong, Pike will be in water notably shallower than the picks and don't always feed right close to the bottom like the picks do.

To answer your question NJChris, try moving your bait to shallower water and suspend it a few feet off of the lake floor as pike can see above their heads somewhat. The bait will silhouette against the ice above and the pike will come up, have a look and bite if they are hungry (they always are).
Maybe up in the saskch , but where i fish ive caught 100s of pickerel in less than 5 fow  2 feet under the ice,  the pike are right there with them also.. This is a lake with 20-35ft deep flats all around...

To me it sounds like there arent many pike in the lake obviously, the pickerel probably dominate them,, You can do 1 of 2 things, try to seek out a bigger pike, (there is bound to be a couple) with bigger baits, or more natural baits like perch, or you can just sit back and hope to luck out and hook into one
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Have to agree. Small pike and pickerel will be close to each other. Usually in less than 20ft of water around structure with weeds. Big pike can be found there but can also be found a lot deeper chasing bigger prey. I.e. Perch at 30ft on a flat...etc
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.