Author Topic: Flying Ice Shacks!  (Read 6021 times)

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flying Ice Shacks!
« on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:52 AM »
So I hear there are some airborne ice shanties out on Keweenaw Bay!  Hope you guys have your shacks anchored down...

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flying Ice Shacks!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:14 PM »
I watched numerous ice shacks slide across the ice from baraga to the middle or a few even to l'anse. I was fishing in my shack off the light house as I watched this occur and I feel bad for the guys that lost ice shacks because of this but I must say it was quite entertaining!

Offline Grizzlyadams73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2011, 04:49 PM »
so how is the ice?

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2011, 04:55 PM »
Ice is still holding up. The waves are not bad at all, cause of the west wind its not creating much commotion. Just ice shacks are peoples biggest worry right now.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2011, 05:19 PM »
The weather channel has ENE winds 20-30 going NE on Sunday.  The ice will be rocking at the lighthouse.  Keep an eye on the forecast in case you have to pull your shanty up on the beach for a bit.

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:00 PM »
"No problems"!............."We been doin this for years"!  "This wind aint nuthin"!  "Ice is good and strong"!  "Nuthin to worry bout"!  I know of at least one dude that cannot even find a trace of his shack after today!  That wind was freaking crazy!  Shacks or pieces of shack all over the place!  North of Sand Pt is jigsaw pieces of ice or open water!  We saw pieces of ice shack floating up along the edge of float ice at Pequaming Bay.  Reiteration........BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!  This is after all Lake Superior! 

Offline trailbreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Was off the  Pumphouse today, no luck fishing. Did find an ice fishing spear, probably from a runaway shack. Would be great if I could return it to its owner.

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Trailbreaker, some guys off the lighthouse that had their shacks busted up were looking for their lost equipment, i found a heater that belonged to them, just north of jentofts, i returned it to donny treadeau, his shack is off lighthouse, he fishes with a group of people that spear herring, two of their shacks were destroyed, but thats were id start to check for owner, yesterday their was all kinds of fishing equipment on ice, tackle, heaters, shack debri, looked like a tornado hit a trailer park! two guys are still trying to find pieces or locate shack, cant find nothing, and for guys heading north of lighthouse, the pressure crack opened up in spots over 5 ft. , refrooze with less than an inch of ice, becareful crossing, we found such a spot by accident, stopped to talk to a guy, nephew walked to edge of crack, ice started cracking, he backed up grabbed spud, one chop through ice, most spots are 6 inches to a foot along this crack, but we found a good 5 ft gap, the northern ice is not locked in to bay, this was before the wind today also, check first, becareful!

Offline trailbreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Thanks Fishslayer. Found a guy by that name in Dollar Bay, will give him a call.

Offline U.P.Nate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:43 AM »
any pics of the carnage? crapty though, I'm glad I got my shack off the ice before it froze dowwn in all the slush.
"jiggen my pole in your daughters hole"
"Huddled over the Coleman like its the baby Jesus in the manger"

Offline huntermiwi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2011, 11:39 AM »
I was out Sunday afternoon south of the whirly jig.  The NE wind really picked up  and in the manner of half hour - the wave action was really moving the ice.

Sitting in the tent didn't feel too bad - could tell I was moving some.  Once the water started coming up through the hole, I got out of the tent to take a look and the ice was like water - you could see 3-5 sets of 2-3 foot waves coming at you.  The open water had really moved south, especially along the US41 side of the bay.

Hurried and got off.  Not worth it!

Be safe guys - the wind over the last week really has the ice beat up.

Offline trailbreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2011, 12:58 PM »
The spear doesn,t belong to the guy from Dollar Bay. Anyone else looking for one?
 Call Carl 852-3367, identify it.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:08 AM »
Flying ice shacks, title can be changed to FLOATING ice shacks.

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:47 PM »
Flying ice shacks, title can be changed to FLOATING ice shacks.

Did you get your shack off of Sand Point?  Hope so!

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Did you get your shack off of Sand Point?  Hope so!

No sir. It's one of the many out there.

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Well as of 7:00 p.m. the count of floating shacks is less than 20, and six of them only roof is above water, this is coming from coast guard, they had a chopper flying over bay, inspecting, taking pictures, i hate to be the ones who lost their shack, rumors are the coast guard mite retrieve the shacks but charge the owners, this could be expensive, or else they mite have to pay a ticket, hope the names on shack arent visible, now i know why the dnr wants names on shack!

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2011, 02:24 PM »
make them pay for polluting the lake...

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:32 PM »
make them pay for polluting the lake...

You must be kidding! If this many people lost their shacks they obviously had no idea this was gunna happen. It was a rather calm night when the ice broke up. I talked to many old timers and they said they have been on over 2 feet of ice on a calm day on the big lake and rollers start coming in and busting the ice up within hours. This is a complete natural occurance and most didn't see it coming. Accidents happen buddy, and lets just say people were lucky it didn't happen in middle of the day while everyone was fishing. And if this happened to you, you wouldn't have said anything like that.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Id rather just pull my jet sled out with all my stuff and take it home with me every night. And fish a different spot every trip.    There's no way that the knowledgable fisherman didn't know this could easily happen with a right wind or some waves or whatever made it happen.     I can only imagine how many guys out there probally said "I hope it don't blow out"  or "I hope it don't break up"    taking a lucky guess!  Is it that hard to pull your shack to shore if the wind is gonna be 50 mph?     The way I look at.......if u can't pull your shack to shore in a blink of an eye like the weather can change.  You shouldn't be putting one out there!    Like my other post.....I think it should be illegal.  Just like leaving a permanent hunting blind on state land.        How many times does that have to happen before the bottom of the bay looks like a landfill.  Im not pointing the finger at anyone in particular.. I just think its to risky for the future of our great lake resource.     I am in no way a anti mining treehugger type of guy.....I just have a lot of respect for my most favorite thing in the world to do..FISHING!

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:01 AM »
The winds that night were 5-15. And some people like to be consistent and stay put in one spot. Which is the reason for all the permanents. Some people like to move around, like you, and some like to stay put. Everyone has their personal preferences.

Offline superzooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:06 AM »
But when you stay put in one spot, you are also preventing anyone else from fishing in that immediate area, not just for a part of the day, but for the majority of the season, regardless if the permanent is occupied or not. So yes I think that is a bit selfish and inconsiderate of other people's desires to select a good fishing spot.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:22 AM »
I'm always a good distance from the crowd cause of fishing pressure. And people post up portables 15 feet outside my door. But there's nothing I can do about it and I always end up talking to them and asking them how they are doing. As long as we're fishing we're having a good time.

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Just curious chase.  Did you salvage your shack?  I hope yours was not one of the 7 out north of Pequaming Point (at least we saw 7....likely more under water).  They were getting hammered by ice movements and break-up.  It was terribly windy up there yesterday, even when things seemed calm in the lower bay!  Hope you recovered yours!

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Just curious chase.  Did you salvage your shack?  I hope yours was not one of the 7 out north of Pequaming Point (at least we saw 7....likely more under water).  They were getting hammered by ice movements and break-up.  It was terribly windy up there yesterday, even when things seemed calm in the lower bay!  Hope you recovered yours!

No, It's gone. I went to go fishing tuesday morning off the light house and as I was pulling up noticed something wasn't right. I spotted my 2 cousins shacks next each other still alive yesterday off pequaming and mine should have been next to them but it wasn't. To lose just about everything you own to ice fishing sucks. It takes a few years to gain all the stuff you own. I honestly did not see this coming. I talked to a few old timers and even they said they haven't seen anything like this in 40 years of fishing keweenaw bay.

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:53 AM »
No, It's gone. I went to go fishing tuesday morning off the light house and as I was pulling up noticed something wasn't right. I spotted my 2 cousins shacks next each other still alive yesterday off pequaming and mine should have been next to them but it wasn't. To lose just about everything you own to ice fishing sucks. It takes a few years to gain all the stuff you own. I honestly did not see this coming. I talked to a few old timers and even they said they haven't seen anything like this in 40 years of fishing keweenaw bay.

That is unfortunate.  Hind sight is always 20:20.  Your right many MANY people never saw this one coming.  I still totally blame the HUGE winds of Friday days ago for what happened days later.  The surface waters stacked up on the east end of the basin, and came back to haunt after the winds had gone, with waves and currents, and yes even winds that were difficult to predict.  When this sort of tidal and sloshing movement occurs, this lake can make its own weather!.....this lake is more like an ocean and it has to be respected.  I am not saying you do not respect it, but never assume your safe on this system!  Sorry to hear of your loss, but glad no lives were lost!

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:51 PM »
I understand the whole pollution problem but seriously who is to know what the lake is capable of without seeing it before? It's just not the right time to bring up something like that.

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:56 PM »
I was just wondering if anybody else seen the guy off the lighthous this morning, i didnt see him, but tribal maintenance workers were watching him, thought they mite have to call rescue!
cant be more than 1-2 inches of ice their!

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:06 PM »
That's what im saying......if nobody can predict what's gonna happen out there you shouldn't be allowed to leave shacks out there.    I can't legally leave my deer blind on state land that cannot be lost and pollute the cleanest great lake the world has left.  But I can leave a shanty out on ice thats unpredictable.    Just doesn't make sense to me.....I say ban permanent shantys on the great lakes!  Inland is a different story.

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:10 PM »
Arn ...ya Know I TOTALLY Agree with ya there about banning perm shacks on Lk superior  :icefish:

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Well let's do it then!   Open up the rule book and write a new page....ill sign it!   LoL.       To be honest with ya it must of slipped through the regulations.   All the rules for much less of a deal things out there....it must of slipped there minds

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.