Author Topic: Thermal fabric  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Mercier_Gabe

• IceShanty Rookie
Thermal fabric
« on: Feb 08, 2021, 01:48 PM »
I’ve been making plans to make my own flip over so it fits in the back of my car. It currently has a tarp over it which isn’t so great. I’m lucky enough to have access to an heavy duty sewing machine and I would like to make my own quilted thermal fabric. Wondering what the major like clam and otter are using as “thermal” fabric. The new clam list their fabric as 2 layers of fabric for 1800D total but they don’t mention what is the insulation ? Would anybody know what those “thermal” fabric are made of ?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Thermal fabric
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2021, 02:16 PM »
Try Rochford Supply. They have an insulated fabric for ice shelters.
www.rochfordsupply.com
Googling "insulated ice house fabric" worked better for me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:16 AM »
I sent a product inquiry to Rochford Supply. Their reply (Tue 12/1/2020 11:01 AM). Product #6744-005
"The outer layer of the of the quilted fish house fabric is a polyester which is made for the outdoor elements.
The white inside layer is going to be a Tex-Tex fabric which is a lightweight tent fabric."

It looks like the insulation is sewn between the fabric layers. Forum member slipperybob has some good comments on shelter fabric. https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=378725.0

My question is why would a manufacturer use a lightweight fabric on the side which rubs against the support poles?

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2021, 09:22 AM »
Designed so they stay in business by you having to replace.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2021, 10:19 PM »
The question I asked myself to why they have not just simply double the shelter material for insulation value over the insulation fabric material they have been selling to us right now.  I get insulation fabric like those made of like thinly insulated jackets that are fluffy and light.  Then again in my mind I understand insulated double layer like that from field pants are way more useful.

I did a sort of experiment a long time ago while doing a weekend camp out in my old Clam 1060 and I had a second shelter cover tossed over.  So I get essentially double value over everything including my windows.  Back in the days before I invested in a Big Buddy, my heat source was primarily from my Coleman dual fuel lantern.  Double material made a huge difference.  That has stuck in me and was way better than even the insulation material from my Eskimo 949i.  In the back of my mind I was always gonna get a second shelter material.  Of course from that Clam 1060 experiment that was bulky and rather time consuming on set up and take down.  If it was windy, I'm sure I would struggle forever if not chasing a shelter material blowing across the lake.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.